Divya "Ramya" Spandana in Bangalore
November 29, 1982 
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
|Other names||Lucky Star
Divya Spandana (born 29 November 1982), known by her stage name Ramya, is an Indian film actress and Member of Parliament from Mandya constituency in Karnataka, She predominantly acts in Kannada films and also appears in Tamil and Telugu films. Presently, She is also the youngest Member of Parliament in India.
Ramya made her acting debut in the 2003 Kannada-language film Abhi, opposite Puneet Rajkumar. She subsequently starred in several Kannada films alongside lead actors and, following successive commercial successes, established herself as one of the most sought-after actresses in the Kannada film industry, becoming referred to as the "Golden Girl of Kannada cinema" and 'Sandalwood Queen'. Based on an online poll conducted by The Times Of India, Ramya won the Best Actor Female award for Sanju Weds Geetha. She won Filmfare Best Actress Award twice for her roles in Thananam Thananam (2006) and Sanju Weds Geetha (2011) films. She also won Karnataka State Film Award for Best Actress for Sanju Weds Geetha (2011).
Ramya was born in Bangalore, Karnataka on 29 November 1982. Her mother is Ranjitha Mandya Boraiah and her foster father is R T Narayan. Her parents originally hail from Mandya.In August 2013,a person named Venkatesh Babu claimed that he is biological father of Ramya. JD(S) legislator M. Srinivas has even said her test-tube baby during Mandya Lok Sabha by-polls when Ramya didn't mentioned her father's name in the nomination papers. Ramya said that her grandfather is G S Bore Gowda. though it is also claimed that her grandfather is S. M. Krishna. She studied at St. Hilda's school in Ooty, and in Sacred Heart School (Church Park), Chennai, Tamil Nadu. She pursued her graduation at St. Joseph's College of Commerce, Bangalore.
Ramya has said that the first film offered to her was Ninagagi that eventually starred Radhika as Ramya was fat then.Radhika. She was then supposed to make her debut in Puneet Rajkumar's first film Appu She made her acting debut in the 2003 Kannada-language film Abhi, alongside Puneet Rajkumar/. The same year, she had another release in Kannada with Excuse Me, which also did well at the box office, and also stepped into Telugu filmdom with the film Abhimanyu.
In 2004, Spandana debuted in the Tamil film industry, also under the name Ramya, with the film Kuththu alongside Silambarasan Rajendar, which managed only a mediocre run at the box office as did her next Tamil film Giri. Her debut film, however, gave her the name 'Kuthu' Ramya, by which she was then popularly known in Tamil Nadu. She had two releases in Kannada as well, Ranga S. S. L. C. and Kanti, out of which the latter, a love story set against the backdrop of borders and language issues, was declared a major success. In 2005 she had four releases, all being Kannada films, with the latter three films Aakash, Gowramma and Amrithadhare becoming major box-office successes, whilst also garnering critical acclaim for Ramya's performance and establishing her as a leading actress in Karnataka.
In 2006 she starred in Julie, a remake of the same-titled 1975 Hindi-language film. She essayed the role of a single, unwed mother in the film, which failed to attract audiences. After her following release, Datta did average business at the box office, her next Kannada release, Jothe Jotheyali was a successful venture, in spite of largely unfavorable reviews by critics. Her final 2006 release, Kavitha Lankesh's Tananam Tananam, an average grosser that released to mixed reviews, fetched Ramya her first Filmfare Award for Best Actress. She had described her role in the film as "little complex" and "challenging." In 2007, Ramya starred in three feature films; the first releasing, Arasu, co-starring Puneet Rajkumar and Meera Jasmine, was a huge hit. She then appeared as a sex worker in a short film Prarambha, directed by Santhosh Sivan, which was made in order to create awareness about AIDS and was part of Mira Nair's AIDS Jaago project. Her fourth 2007 release was Polladhavan, where she acted against Dhanush. The film, released during the 2007 Deepavali period, was considered a dark horse success and made possible Ramya's breakthrough in Tamil. Rajinikanth was all praises for the entire crew of Polladhavan.
Her first 2008 release, the Kannada film Mussanjemaatu with Sudeep, was a big hit, for which she also received a nomination for a Best Actress Award at the 56th Filmfare Awards South. Her next film was the Tamil film Thoondil. Ramya later stated that she regretted accepting the film. Later that year, she starred in the films Bombaat and Anthu Inthu Preethi Banthu, with the former becoming declared a "super hit" as well. Her final release in 2008 was Gautham Menon's Vaaranam Aayiram for which she changed her screen name to her actual name Divya again, which is believed to have brought her more luck. She had also dubbed in her own voice for Vaaranam Aayiram, which became a high critical as well as commercial success. She did not have any releases in 2009, since both her films Bhimoos Bang Bang Kids and Jothegaara got delayed heavily due to financial problems.
Her first release of 2010 Just Math Mathalli which released on January 26, 2010 was a huge success and it also received rave reviews. Her role in the film was also very much appreciated. She had two more releases that year, the long delayed Jothegaara eventually, and Kiccha Huccha. Her next release was the Tamil film Singam Puli opposite Jeeva, which released to mixed reviews, following which the romantic drama Sanju Weds Geetha released. The film opened to highly positive reviews, with Ramya being unanimously praised by critics for her performance, which was widely considered her best or one of her best in her career. She has completed shooting for Dandam Dashagunam, a Kannada remake of Kaakha Kaakha, and Kadhal 2 Kalyanam in Tamil, starring alongside a newcomer Sathya, while currently working on the comedy drama Siddalingu, in which she portrays the role of a school teacher. In August 2013, Ramya announced that she may quit acting if she wins the election, in order to pursue a career in politics.
Ramya became Member of Parliament from Mandya constituency in Karnataka in bypoll Result over by 47,622 Votes, declared on 24 August 2013 from Congress Party. She is the youngest female MP in the country. Prior to this Ramya joined the Youth Congress in 2011.
In 2013, Ramya will be making her debut in the small screen in a tele serial, Ashwini Nakshatra. Ramya will be seen in the role of a sutradhar in the serial, making an appearance every day in the first week, and she will go on to introduce the main characters of the serial.
She also has launched her clothing line 'Spandana'.
Some people claim her to be daughter of former chief minister of karnataka S.M.Krishna, but she denies him as her father
|2003||Abhimanyu||Saira Banu||Telugu||Credited as Spandana|
|2004||Ranga S. S. L. C.||Padma||Kannada|
|2005||Amrithadhare||Amritha||Kannada||Udaya Award for Best Actress|
|2006||Thananam Thananam||Vanaja||Kannada||Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Kannada|
|2007||Meera Madhava Raghava||Meera||Kannada|
|2007||Polladhavan||Hema||Tamil||Credited as Divya Spandana|
|2008||Mussanjemaatu||Thanu||Kannada||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Kannada|
|2008||Anthu Inthu Preethi Banthu||Preethi||Kannada|
|2010||Just Math Mathalli||Tanu||Kannada||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Kannada|
|2011||Sanju Weds Geetha||Geetha||Kannada||SIIMA Award for Best Actress
Karnataka State Film Award for Best Actress
Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Kannada
Ramya received Totally 12 different Televesion Awards for Best Actress in the year of 2011
|2011||Johny Mera Naam Preethi Mera Kaam||Priya||Kannada|
|2012||Sidlingu||Mangala||Kannada||Nominated — SIIMA Award for Best Actress
Nominated — Filmfare Award for Best Actress - Kannada
|2012||Katari Veera Surasundarangi||Indraja||Kannada|
|2012||Crazy Loka||Kannada||Special appearance|
|2013||Bhimoos Bang Bang Kids||Kannada||Delayed|
|2013||Kadhal 2 Kalyanam||Anitha||Tamil||Delayed|
|2013||Untitled Kodi Ramakrishna film||Kannada||Filming|
|2013||Dil Ka Raja||Kannada||Filming|
- Shyam Prasad, S. (2009-07-23). "No filmy husband for me". Bangalore Mirror.com. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Suresh, Sunayana (2010-11-29). "Yes, I'm seeing someone, says Ramya". DNA. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Congress wins Karnataka by-polls by heavy margin
- Ramya to become youngest MP? | The Asian Age
- Actress Ramya becomes youngest MP - Timesofap
- "Ramya rules". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2008-05-17.
- rediff.com: Ramya: Golden girl of Kannada cinema. Specials.rediff.com (April 2006). Retrieved on 2013-03-23.
- "The Bangalore Times Film Awards 2011". 21 June 2012.
- "Ramya The Golden girl". Oneindia. Retrieved 2009-09-19.
- "Ravising Ramya – Darling of Producers". IndiaGlitz. 2005-11-30. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- K., Bhumika (2008-05-17). "Metro Plus Bangalore : Ramya rules". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "Full of life". IndiaGlitz. 2006-06-23. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "Jothe Jotheyali 100 days function". Oneindia.in. 2007-08-10. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "Kannada films – 2006 part II". IndiaGlitz. 2006-12-29. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Vijayasarathy, R. G. (2006-09-25). "Jothe Jotheyali is just silly". Rediff.com. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Jothe Jotheyalli Review by RGV. Nowrunning.com (2006-09-22). Retrieved on 2013-03-23.
- Jothe Jotheyali. kannada.indiavilas.com
- Vijayasarathy, R. G. (2006-11-28). "Tananam Tananam disappoints". Rediff.com. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Shiva Kumar, S. (2006-12-01). "Friday Review Bangalore / Cinema : Down the drain". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "Tananam Tananam hardest for Ramya". Oneindia.in. 2007-08-09. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Ronamai, Raymond (2007-08-14). "Arasu completes century". Oneindia.in. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "'Prarambha' by bill gates". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Daihota, Madhu (2007-02-01). "All stars for AIDS awareness film". Times Of India.Indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- "Polladhavan Divya gets bolder". Behindwoods. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- ‘Kuthu’ Ramya aka Divya is on the moon with the success of "Polladhavan". Bolly Treat (2007-11-21). Retrieved on 2013-03-23.
- Kannada Box-Office (Sep1-5). Sify.com (2008-09-05). Retrieved on 2013-03-23.
- "Ramya comes back with name changed". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 2009-09-19.
- Hooli, Shekhar H (2010-03-17). "I'm very much excited about IPL: Ramya". Oneindia.in. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Wire, Sampurn. (2011-01-13) Ramya in love with a mystery man – Oneindia Entertainment. Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved on 2013-03-23.
- Review: Sanju Weds Geetha – Rediff.com Movies. Rediff.com (2011-04-01). Retrieved on 2013-03-23.
- Movie Review : Review: Sanju Weds Geetha. Sify.com. Retrieved on 2013-03-23.
- Sanju Weds Geetha Movie Review. bellitere.com (2011-04-02)
- "'Sidlingu' starts". Indiaglitz. 2011-02-23. Retrieved 2013-03-23.
- "May quit acting if I win: Ramya". MANDYA: The New Indian Express. Express News Service. 2013-08-17. Retrieved 2013-08-24.
- Ramya joins Youth Congress. Sify.com (2011-04-19). Retrieved on 2013-03-23.
- Ramya joins Youth Congress. The New Indian Express. Retrieved on 2013-03-23.
- Kannada actress Ramya turns 29 – Rediff.com Movies. Rediff.com (2011-11-29). Retrieved on 2013-03-23.
- "Ramya to make her small screen debut". The Times Of India. 2013-06-11. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Ramya to reveal her brand logo
- "The 59th Idea Filmfare Awards 2011(South)". Retrieved 08-07-2012.