Green Party of Lebanon
|Green Party of Lebanon
حزب الخضر اللبناني
|Founded||August 20, 2008|
The Green Party of Lebanon (Arabic: حزب الخضر اللبناني ĥizb-al-khodor-al-lubnanī) is a Lebanese green political party. Founded in August 2008 by Philip Skaf, the green party advocates environmental protection, sustainable development, and human rights in Lebanon. It is the first Lebanese party to focus primarily on Green politics.
Environmental concerns in Lebanon have been overshadowed by the sectarian nepotist political system and consigned to the bottom of the political agenda. This is despite the fact that Lebanon's tourism industry - a key part of its economy - relies heavily on the green spaces and woodlands that distinguish Lebanon from neighboring countries.
The Green Party of Lebanon was founded on 20 August 2008 at a conference in Beirut's Monroe Hotel. The three hour conference, which assembled 65 members of the Lebanese elite, presented the party's charter and political and economic work plan followed by the election of its 20 member executive board. The executive board elected Philip Skaf, chief executive and creative officer at Grey Worldwide MENA, an advertising agency, as party president.
In March 2009, the Green Party declared a state of environmental emergency and announced the launching of an "environmental pact". Skaf declared that the Party would not run candidates in the 2009 Lebanese general election but stressed that the document will be presented to all Lebanese political parties in order for them to adopt its goals.
- The Daily Star (2008-08-23). "The Daily Star - Editorial - The Green Party is a welcome addition to the political arena in Lebanon". The Daily Star. Retrieved 2009-11-13.
- Grey group media. "Welcome To Grey Worldwide". Greyme. Retrieved 2009-11-07.[dead link]
- Bassam Kantar (2008-08-20). "«اشتراكيّون» و«نخبويّون» يُطلقون حزب الخضر في لبنان". al-Akhbar (605 ed.). p. 6. Retrieved 2009-11-07.(Arabic)
- Green Party of Lebanon. "Green Party Lebanon". Green Party Lebanon. Retrieved 2009-11-07.
- Akiki, Pierre (2009-03-03). "حزب الخضر اللبناني يطلق وثيقته البيئية - أخبار البلد - جريدة صدى البلد". al-Balad. Retrieved 2009-11-14.(Arabic)
- The Lebanese Inner Circle (2009-03-19). "Lebanon’s Green Party declares a state of environmental urgency and launches it’s ecological pact" (Blog). The Lebanese Inner Circle : Blog. Retrieved 2009-11-14.(French)
- Mahdawi, Dalila (Friday, August 22, 2008). "Green Party aims to enforce laws that protect environment". The Daily Star (Lebanon). Retrieved 2009-11-07.
- "Green Party declares 'state of emergency'". Daily Star (Lebanon). March 24, 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-07.
- Harati, Elissar (September 14, 2009). "Photo exhibition highlights Lebanon's environmental woes". The Daily Star (Lebanon). Retrieved 2009-11-07.
- "The Green Party is a welcome addition to the political arena in Lebanon". The Daily Star (Lebanon). August 23, 2008. Retrieved 2009-11-07.
- "الحريري يبحث وخليل مستجدات تشكيل الحكومة Khalil and Hariri discuss developments to form a government". As-Safir newspaper. July 17, 2009.
- "Green Party calls for the government "made in Lebanon" حزب الخضر يطالب بحكومة "صُنعت في لبنان"". albaladonline.com. July 8, 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-07.
- "Green Party called the Lebanese and Environmental Document حزب الخضر اللبناني يطلق وثيقته البيئية". albaladonline.com (in Arabic). March 20, 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-07.
- Corm, Carole (October 2008). "Green Light - Lebanon". Monocle Magazine. Retrieved 2009-11-07. - subscriber access
|This article about a Lebanese political party is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|