Hwang Jung-eum on January 5, 2013
January 25, 1985 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Education||University of Suwon - Degree in Theatre and Film|
|Height||1.67 m (5 ft 5 1⁄2 in)|
|Revised Romanization||Hwang Jeong-eum|
Hwang Jung-eum debuted with K-pop girl group Sugar in 2002 as a lead vocalist, but left the group in 2004 to pursue a solo career. Hwang appeared as one of the recurring guests for a variety show program, Love Letter, from 2004 to 2006, in which her onscreen couple with Kim Jong-min received big popularity. She officially started her acting career with drama The Person I Love in 2007.
In 2009 she and real-life boyfriend Kim Yong-jun (of boy band SG Wannabe) joined the second season of reality dating show We Got Married, and later that year Hwang rose to multistardom when she appeared in the daily sitcom High Kick Through the Roof. After her turn on High Kick, Hwang signed numerous advertising contracts, and in interviews she often tells the story of how she had just ₩487 (US$0.45) in her bank account when she started the show but walked away with ₩1.2 billion when it ended.
Hwang was ranked 18th on Forbes Korea's Top 40 Celebrities in 2011. Later that same year, Hwang was listed among Top 7 Female Commercial Stars in Korea compiled by The Daily Sports. She was also selected by Mnet Idol Chart Show as no. 7 on the list of richest K-pop idols.
She then began playing leading roles in television series. Among her notable TV dramas are 1970s epic Giant (2010), deaf romance Can You Hear My Heart (2011), and medical drama Golden Time (2012). In 2013, she starred in crime comedy Incarnation of Money, followed by hit melodrama Secret Love. This was followed in 2014 by 1980-1990s set period drama, Endless Love. She reunited with Secret Love costar Ji Sung in 2015 with the romantic comedy series Kill Me, Heal Me.
Hwang enjoys spending time alone and does comic parodies of actors' facial expressions and voices.
In February 2010, Hwang hosted the MBC Star Dance Battle together with Kim Shin-young, Oh Sang-jin, and Shin Bong-sun. Later in December, Hwang hosted the SBS Gayo Daejeon annual music program together with Super Junior’s Heechul, CNBLUE’s Jung Yong-hwa, and 2AM’s Jo Kwon.
Hwang has been named Goodwill and Honorary Ambassadors for various programs and events, such as for the 2010 14th Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival, Korea Medical Assistance Foundation in 2011, 2012 AD STARS Festival, International Relief NGO Good People in 2013, and campaign for Seoul's Social Problems in 2014.
Hwang has been dating Kim Yong-jun (of SG Wannabe) for nine years as of January 2015. The couple announced their relationship to the public on January 2008. They first met when Hwang starred in one of SG Wannabe's music video, My Heart's Treasure Box (2005).
- Kill Me, Heal Me (MBC, 2015)
- Endless Love (SBS, 2014)
- Secret Love (KBS2, 2013)
- Potato Star 2013QR3 (tvN, 2013) (cameo, ep 1)
- Incarnation of Money (SBS, 2013)
- Full House Take 2 (TBS/SBS Plus, 2012)
- Golden Time (MBC, 2012)
- High Kick: Revenge of the Short Legged (MBC, 2011) (cameo, ep 106)
- Can You Hear My Heart (MBC, 2011)
- Giant (SBS, 2010)
- High Kick Through the Roof (MBC, 2009)
- East of Eden (MBC, 2008)
- Little Mom Scandal - Season 2 (CGV, 2008)
- Little Mom Scandal - Season 1 (CGV, 2008)
- The Last Scandal of My Life (MBC, 2008)
- Winter Bird (MBC, 2007)
- The Person I Love (SBS, 2007)
- Banjun Drama (SBS, 2005)
- A Pig-like Woman (2014)
- Death Bell 2: Bloody Camp (2010)
- Wish (2009)
- The Relation of Face, Mind and Love (telecinema, 2009)
- Happy Together Season 3 (KBS2, 2007-) (guest, ep 133, 158, and 317)
- HahaMong Show (SBS, 2010) (guest, ep 6)
- Come to Play (MBC, 2010) (guest, ep 299)
- Strong Heart (SBS, 2010) (guest, ep 25-26)
- Running Man (SBS, 2010) (guest, ep 1)
- We Got Married Season 2 (MBC, 2009)
- Love Letter (SBS, 2004-2006) (guest)
- Sunflower by Kim Jong-wook (2009)
- It's a Lie and Did You Really Hate My Love? (feat. Kim Yong-jun of SG Wannabe) by Ock Joo-hyun (2009)
- Shoes and Crazy Love Song (with Choi Jung-won) by SeeYa (2008)
- I Can't Help Liking You and Finally... It's You (with Jung Woo) by Black Pearl (2007)
- Craze (with Han Eun-jung) by SG Wannabe (2006)
- My Heart's Treasure Box and A Dreamy Conversation (with Chun Jung-myung and Bong Tae-gyu) by SG Wannabe (2005)
- [2009.09.22] "N-Time" - Hwang Jung-eum feat. T-ara
- [2011.06.10] "Good Person" - Hwang Jung-eum (from Can You Hear My Heart OST)
- [2009.06.12] "Couple" - Kim Yong-jun feat. Hwang Jung-eum (from We Got Married)
- [2008.09.26] "Gani (Going)" - SeeYa feat. Kim Yong-jun of SG Wannabe, Hwang Jung-eum, Mario (from the album Brilliant Change)
Awards and nominations
|2009||3rd Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Hot Couple with Kim Yong-jun||We Got Married Season 2||Won|
|MBC Entertainment Awards||Best Female Newcomer in Show/Variety||Won|
|Best Female Newcomer in Comedy/Sitcom||High Kick Through the Roof||Won|
|2010||46th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actress in TV||Won|
|3rd Korea Drama Awards||Most Popular Actress||Won|
|11th Korea Visual Arts Festival||Photogenic Award, TV Actress category||Won|
|26th Korea Best Dresser Swan Awards||Best Dressed, TV Actress category||N/A||Won|
|Barbie & Ken Awards||Korean Barbie||N/A||Won|
|23rd Grimae Awards||Best Actress||Giant||Won|
|SBS Drama Awards||Best Supporting Actress in a Special Planning Drama||Nominated|
|New Star Award||Won|
|Best Couple Award with Joo Sang-wook||Won|
|2011||MBC Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Can You Hear My Heart||Won|
|2012||MBC Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Golden Time||Nominated|
|2013||SBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Drama Special||Incarnation of Money||Nominated|
|KBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||Secret Love||Won|
|Netizen Choice, Actress||Won|
|Best Couple Award with Ji Sung||Won|
|2014||7th Korea Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||Secret Love, Endless Love||Nominated|
|SBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Serial Drama||Endless Love||Won|
|Top 10 Stars||Won|
- "Hwang Jung Eum reveals why she left Sugar". Allkpop. 7 January 2012. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- Ko, Hong-ju (13 January 2013). "Ayumi Denies Her Tweet Was Aimed at Hwang Jung Eum". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "WBW: 10 Things We Miss About 'Love Letter'". Allkpop. 31 July 2013. Retrieved 2015-01-18.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (29 August 2014). "Hwang Jung Eum Signs Contract with C-JeS". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2015-01-18.
- "Kim Young Jun and Hwang Jung Eum for We Got Married". Allkpop. 22 April 2009. Retrieved 2013-02-13.
- Sunwoo, Carla (16 February 2012). "Kim Yong-jun bids fans farewell as he enters the military". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Hwang to Unveil First Solo Album". The Korea Times. 14 September 2009. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Hwang Jung-eum Diagnosed With H1N1". The Korea Times. 26 January 2010. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Who Will Appeal Most to Advertisers?". The Chosun Ilbo. 20 February 2010. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Lim, Ju-ri; Sung, So-young (7 September 2011). "Producer pulls humor from pathos, giving TV a Kick". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Korea's Top Celebrities". Forbes. 31 March 2011. Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- "Who Are the Top 7 Male and Female CF Stars?". Soompi. 14 June 2011. Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- "[ESI ②] 가장 많은 광고에 출연한 女스타는 누구?". The Daily Sports (in Korean). 13 June 2011. Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- "TOP 20 richest idols are…". dkpopnews. 19 May 2011. Retrieved 2015-01-09.
- Han, Sang-hee (5 May 2010). "Drama Giant to show Korea's boom years". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Hwang Jung-eum's Acting Blossoms". The Chosun Ilbo. 11 December 2010. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Sunwoo, Carla (25 April 2012). "Hwang Jung-eum cast in new drama". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Oh, Jean (2 July 2012). "New medical drama 'cheery' and 'goofy'?". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Park, Hyun-min (3 July 2012). "Hwang Jung Eum Feels Lonely without Her Boyfriend". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Park, Hyun-min (8 July 2012). "Hwang Jung Eum Didn't Want to Observe Real Surgeries for Golden Time". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Hwang Jung-eum in Golden Time". MBC Global Media. 12 August 2012. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Jeon, Su-mi (26 September 2012). "Hwang Jung Eum Says She′ll Never Forget Golden Time". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Park, Hani (20 February 2013). "Hwang Jung Eum Advises Girl Group Actresses". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- "Actress Hwang Jung-eum Isn't Afraid of Criticism". The Chosun Ilbo. 16 March 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- Oh, Jean (11 September 2013). "Hwang Jung-eum ready for her close-up". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2013-09-12.
- Ock, Hyun-ju (1 January 2014). "Actress Hwang Jung-eum gives tearful speech". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- Kim, Hee-eun (13 May 2014). "Hwang Jung-eum joins Endless Love". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-05-26.
- "Hwang Jung-eum Looks for More Variety in Acting Parts". The Chosun Ilbo. 15 November 2014. Retrieved 2014-11-17.
- Sung, So-young (6 December 2014). "Hwang and Ji together again". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-12-11.
- Ho, Stewart (2012-10-22). "Hwang Jung Eum Returns to the Big Screen with Pig-Like Woman". enewsworld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-02-13.
- Lee, Tae-ho (2012-10-22). "Hwang Jung-eum to Return to Big Screen After 2-year Hiatus". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Hwang, In-hye (25 January 2010). "Hwang Jung-eum’s Does Comic Parodies". KBS Global. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- "Preview MBC's Star Dance Battle for the Lunar New Year". Allkpop. 10 February 2010. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- Jun-yong, Choi (30 December 2010). "Korean idols rock the stage for SBS' "Gayo Daejun"". 10 Asia via Hancinema. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "Hwang Jung-eum to Promote Puchon Film Fest". The Chosun Ilbo. 15 June 2010. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- "AD STARS selects ambassador". Dynamic Busan. 16 August 2012. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- "Hwang Jung-Eum, taking care of alienated neighbors in the global village". Innolife. 6 January 2013. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- "Today's Photo: March 7, 2014". The Chosun Ilbo. 7 March 2014. Retrieved 2015-01-02.
- Jung, Yeawon (5 January 2015). "Hwang Jung Eum Fought with Boyfriend Kim Yong Jun and Hasn’t Been Contacting Him". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- "SG Wannabe's Kim Yong Joon wants some Sugar". Allkpop. 14 January 2008. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- "SG워너비, 영화 '얄개시대' 패러디해 뮤직비디오 제작". Sports Chosun (in Korean). 9 September 2005. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- Park, Hyun-min (4 March 2012). "Kim Bum and Hwang Jung Eum to Cameo on High Kick 3". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hwang Jung-Eum.|
- Hwang Jung-eum at C-JeS Entertainment (current agency)
- Hwang Jung-eum at SidusHQ (former agency)
- Hwang Jung-eum at Core Contents Media (former agency)
- Hwang Jung-eum at HanCinema
- Hwang Jung-eum at the Internet Movie Database