|Census division||No. 6|
|Municipal district||Rocky View County|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
Indus is home to a recreation complex that serves Rocky View County and the southeast communities in the Calgary region of which is made up of a mix which includes, but not limited to multi-generational Canadian farm families and acreage owners.
Indus's community hockey program is young, having been founded in the early 1970s, but in a relatively short time has developed a strong program that has seen many of its participating athletes move to advanced levels including junior hockey, Canadian University & USA College (NCAA), as well as professional hockey.
The name 'Indus' was suggested in 1914 to the Canadian Pacific Railway by Dr. J.M. Fulton, was the shortened version of “industry”. When the rail line reached this area, Dr. Fulton envisioned industrial growth for the region.
Indus is also a Sanskrit word for “constellation of the stars”. There appears to be no direct connection to the Sanskrit word.
Rocky View County's 2013 municipal census counted a population of 36 in Indus, a -23.4% change from its 2006 municipal census population of 47.
Indus School provides education to students in kindergarten through grade 9.
- "County Census Identifies Divisional Population Changes". Rocky View County. September 23, 2013. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- Alberta Municipal Affairs (2010-04-01). "Specialized and Rural Municipalities and Their Communities" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-06-06.
- "Indus School". Rocky View Schools. Retrieved 10 June 2012.
- Karamitsanis, Aphrodite (1992). Place Names of Alberta – Volume II, Southern Alberta, University of Calgary Press, Calgary, Alberta.
- Read, Tracey (1983). Acres and Empires – A History of the Municipal District of Rocky View, Calgary, Alberta.
- Rocky View County's official website
- Rocky View County community profile on Alberta First
- Calgary-Edmonton Corridor in Alberta
- Indus School official website
|This Calgary Region location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|