|Census division||No. 19|
|Municipal district||County of Grande Prairie No. 1|
|• Reeve||Leanne Beaupre|
|• Governing body|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
Clairmont is a hamlet in northern Alberta, Canada within the County of Grande Prairie No. 1. Previously an incorporated municipality, Clairmont dissolved from village status on January 1, 1946 to become part of the Municipal District of Bear Lake No. 740.
Clairmont lies at an elevation of 685 m (2,247 ft), on the western shore of Clairmont Lake. It was named after the nearby lake, which in turn was named by Walter McFarlane (a Dominion Land Surveyor who mapped the area in 1909) after Claremont, Ontario.
Clairmont was established as a hamlet in 1915, at the time when the railroad reached this area. A post office was opened the following year and a school was opened in 1915 (but was later closed). In 1922, a large fire consumed many Clairmont businesses, while a train station was built in 1923.
Clairmont was incorporated as a village in 1917, but renounced the village status in 1946 after a downturn in economy caused by the great depression. It eventually became the location of the County of Grande Prairie No. 1's municipal office.
A new school was built with municipal funding in 2007 and opened in 2008.
The population of Clairmont according to the County of Grande Prairie No. 1's 2006 municipal census is 2,174.
Industry Canada shows that Clairmont's greater rural area had a total population of 1,975 living in 712 dwellings in 2001. With a land area of 247.83 km2 (95.69 sq mi), its greater rural area has a population density of 8.0 /km2 (21 /sq mi).
- County of Grande Prairie No. 1. "Economic Profile". Retrieved January 10, 2010.
- "Specialized and Rural Municipalities and Their Communities". Alberta Municipal Affairs. April 1, 2010. Retrieved June 6, 2010.
- "Table 6a: Population by census divisions and subdivisions showing reorganization of rural areas, 1931-1946". Census of the Prairie Provinces, 1946. Volume I: Population. Ottawa: Dominion Bureau of Statistics. 1949. p. 429.
- Discover the Peace Country. "Clairmont". Retrieved 2007-06-21.
- Industry Canada/Web Archive (2006-11-04). "Clairmont - Community demographics (2001 census)". Retrieved 2010-02-07.