James Street North GO Station
|James Street North
Looking west along the CN tracks from James Street towards MacNab Street and the site of the station.
|Address||353 James Street North
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Parking||300 spaces in multi-storey car park|
James Street North GO Station is a railway station to be built by Metrolinx in downtown Hamilton, Ontario on the Canadian National Railway line through the north end of the city. The station will be on GO Transit's Lakeshore West line and may eventually also provide Via Rail service.
The line is to be double tracked and the new station will be constructed west of James Street North with the platform running under the Bay Street and McNab Street bridges. Construction is estimated to cost $3 million and phase one will be completed by June 2015, in time for the 2015 Pan American Games. Construction of phase two is proposed to begin in August, 2015 after the Games are over. Official details were revealed 31 May 2013 by Ontario's Minister of Transportation.
Metrolinx announced on 28 February 2014 that Kenaidian Contracting of Mississauga had been awarded a $44-million contract to build the station. Work has already begun in clearing the site and initially the existing railway bed will be lowered so that double-decker trains can pass under bridges and a terraced retaining wall will be built along the steeply sloping south side of the site. Construction of the new station and multi-storey car park structure is expected to start in April.
The property is a National Historic Site and has been designated under the Federal Heritage Railway Stations Protection Act and under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act by City of Hamilton By-law 95-115. Portions of the building were protected by the Ontario Heritage Trust in 1999.
In 1967 GO Transit took over CN’s commuter service between Toronto and Hamilton, and in 1978 all other CN passenger service was transferred to Via Rail.
The Laborers' International Union of North America (LIUNA) bought and renovated the station, and in 2000 the station was reopened as LIUNA Station, an events centre with catering facilities for weddings, dances, and other special events.
- "An official GO for GO station on James North". CBC News. May 31, 2013. Retrieved June 2013.
- "James Street North GO/VIA Station Gateway to Niagara". Quick Wins. Metrolinx. Retrieved November 2012.
- Meredith MacLeod (28 February 2014). "Metrolinx announces $44-million GO Station on James Street North". Hamilton Spectator. Retrieved February 2014.
- "Hamilton CNR Station". Canada's Historic Places. Parks Canada. Retrieved November 2012.
- "List of Designated Properties and Heritage Conservation Easements under the Ontario Heritage Act". Hamilton's Heritage, Volume 1. City of Hamilton. August 2002 (Revised March 2007). Retrieved November 2012.
- "CNR James Street Station/LIUNA Station". Hamilton Transit History. Retrieved November 2012.
Media related to LIUNA Station at Wikimedia Commons
- James Street North GO Station, Stakeholder Meeting, Tuesday, April 30, 2013
- Former plan of James Street North GO Station
- Liuna Station homepage