Leland High School (San Jose, California)
|Leland High School|
|6677 Camden Ave
San Jose, California, United States
|School district||San Jose Unified School District|
|Principal||Doctor Deepa Mukherjee|
|Faculty||75.9 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9, 10, 11, 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||24.3|
|Color(s)||Blue and gold|
Leland High School is a public high school located in the Almaden Valley in San Jose, California, USA in the San Jose Unified School District. Leland is well known for its nationally ranked Speech and Debate team (as of 1999 - May 2012).
Awards and recognition
During the 2004-05 school year, Leland High School was recognized with the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education, the highest award an American school can receive.
In 2002, Leland received a clear six year accreditation from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
In 2006, 413 Leland students took a total of 877 Advanced Placement tests. 79% of the Placement scores were three or above, with 29% scoring a five. The school average score was a 3.94, while 177 students qualified as AP Scholars.
In 2014, Leland was ranked #20 in the United States for high standardized test scores between 2012-2014.
Notable Extra-curricular activities
- Robotics - Team 604, also known as Quixilver, has participated in the FIRST Robotics Competition. Since the team was restarted in 2005, the team has been rather successful, winning the 2005 Pacific Northwest Regional and 2010 Sacramento Regional, the Chairman's Award at the 2007, 2008, 2012, 2013 Silicon Valley Regional and 2010, 2011 Sacramento Regional, and the 2008 and 2009 CalGames Competition.
- Journalism - Leland's school newspaper, The Charger Account, is completely student run and has received numerous awards from the American Scholastic Press Association, the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, and Quill and Scroll.
- Speech and Debate - Leland's Speech and Debate team is one of the top teams in the nation. The National Forensic League has ranked the Leland Speech and Debate Team as number one in the nation over recent years and has around 400 members.
- Soccer - Leland Soccer set a national record and are current holders of the state record for an undefeated streak with 75, when they posted a 65-0-10 record from 1987-1990.
- Track & Field – The team participates in the Central Coast Section. The female Chargers took home the CCS Track championship in May 2009.
Notable alumni and staff
- Steven Beitashour - Current member of the San Jose Earthquakes soccer team.
- Gay Brasher - Award-winning, six-diamond forensics coach who has been inducted into the National Forensic League Hall of Fame.
- Jason Hardtke - Professional baseball player
- Jerry Hsu - Professional skateboarder.
- Brent Jones - Former American football player and Pro Bowl tight end for the San Francisco 49ers.
- Dan Lloyd - Former linebacker for the New York Giants.
- Evan Low - Member of the Campbell, California City Council and former Mayor of Campbell.
- Joe Murray - Creator of TV animated series Rocko's Modern Life and Camp Lazlo.
- Steve Smith - Astronaut, holds all-time second place for cumulative spacewalk time.
- Pat Tillman - former American football player, notable for turning down a multi-million dollar contract and enlisting as a United States Army Ranger in response to the September 11, 2001 attacks. He was killed in Afghanistan in 2004 by friendly fire. The football stadium (incorporating the track as well) at Leland is named Tillman Stadium after him.
- Patrick Graham (former NFL Dallas Cowboys) - He played high school football at Leland High School, and was recruited by the University of California at Berkley as a defensive tackle. His fame grew as he became one of the top 10 players on the 1980 All American team and was drafted into the National Football League by the Dallas Cowboys. Pat passed away Nov. 24, 2012.
- Kim Yubin - The rapper in the Korean girl group, Wonder Girls.
- Rob Munro - World Kite Speed Sailing Record holder for the WSSRC Nautical Mile - http://www.sailspeedrecords.com/kite-sailing.html
- "Official site of Leland High School". Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- Leland High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- Carbone Lewis, Jeanne (2006-03-23). "Leland’s award-winning speech, debate team talks fund-raising". Almaden Times.
- U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon Schools Program: Schools Recognized 2003 through 2006 (PDF), United States Department of Education. Accessed May 11, 2006.
- "CIBA cited as one of the best by Education Department"[dead link], Journal Inquirer, November 16, 2006. "The Blue Ribbon award is given only to schools that reach the top 10 percent of their state's testing scores over several years or show significant gains in student achievement. It is considered the highest honor a school can achieve."
-  "The 25 US High Schools With The Highest Standardized Test Scores"]Business Insider
- "Leland Robotics - Quixilver 604 - Home". 604robotics.com. Retrieved 2009-06-03.
- National Forensics League
- Scudder, Bob. "Gold Discovered Leland, Then Led Chargers to Soccer Titles", Almaden Resident, May 5, 2005. Accessed February 10, 2011
- "Central Coast Section Track Championships". Retrieved 2009-10-18.
- "Beitashour a Hometown Hero". Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- "National Forensic League, Speech & Debate Honor Society - Hall of Fame". Retrieved 2008-05-03.
- "Junior Forensics League".
- "Jerry Hsu Biography". Emerica Skate. January 3, 2008. Retrieved on 02-24-10.
- Andrew Huang Assistant United States Attorney AUSA State of California. Class of 1988 Brent Jones. 2005 Hall of Fame inductee biographies. San Jose Sports Authority. Retrieved on 02-24-10.
- Petersen, Justin. "Pioneer, Leland wrestle issues to the ground". Almaden Times Weekly. January 20, 2005. Accessed November 8, 2007. "In a somewhat unprecedented decision and in an attempt to build strong bonds between students and a sport that he credits to a large degree for his success as an athlete, (Lloyd spent seven years with the New York Giants) coach and as a human being, Charger lead coach Dan Lloyd has strayed from the typical high school ideal."
- December 2, 2009. Joe Murray Studio. Retrieved on December 4, 2009.
- "Steven L. Smith: NASA International Space Station Program Liaison to the European Space Agency". Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center, NASA. Retrieved on 02-24-10.
- Knight, Dennis. "Pregame Ceremony to Honor Local Hero". San Jose Mercury News. November 4, 2004. Accessed November 8, 2007. "When Pat Tillman was a freshman at Leland High School, he didn't make the varsity baseball team, despite being one of the best players his age in the South Bay."
- Mercury News .