List of Slovak Americans
|Lists of Americans|
|By U.S. state|
|By ethnicity or nationality|
This is a list of notable Slovak Americans, including both original immigrants who obtained American citizenship and their American descendants.
To be included in this list, the person must have a Wikipedia article showing they are Slovak American or must have references showing they are Slovak American and are notable. Some of this list might be have Slovak immigrants ancestors of German, or Hungarian, or Romans descents.
Arts, culture, and entertainment
- Jon Bon Jovi – rock musician, singer, songwriter and actor
- David Boreanaz – actor
- Jim Caviezel – film actor
- Scarlett Chorvat - film and television actress
- Steve Ditko – comic book artist and writer, co-creator of the Marvel Comics heroes Spider-Man and Doctor Strange.
- Moritz Fuerst – artist employed with United States Mint in the 19th century
- Angelina Jolie – actress, former fashion model and Goodwill Ambassador for the UN Refugee Agency- daughter of Jon Voight
- Peter Lorre – actor
- Pola Negri – actress, her father, Jerzy Chalupec, was a Slovak immigrant
- Paul Newman – actor and film director (his maternal grandparents were Slovak)
- John Ondrasik - musician, performing as "Five for Fighting"
- Ivan Reitman – film director
- Robert Urich – actor
- Jon Voight – actor - Voight's paternal grandfather was a Slovak immigrant from Košice and Voight's paternal grandmother had also of Slovak descent
- Andy Warhol – artist
- James Warhola – artist
- Matt Wayne – illusionist
- John C. Kuchera – artist
- Dave Grohl - rock musician, songwriter and singer
- Robert Capa - war photographer and photojournalist
- Laco Déczi (Ladislav Déči) - is a Slovak-American jazz trumpeter and composer, leader of Jazz Celula New York
- John Dopyera – inventor, entrepreneur
- iJustine – Internet Blogger
- John D. Hertz – businessman, thoroughbred racehorse owner, and philanthropist
Law and politics
- Michael Badnarik – software engineer, political figure, and radio talk show host
- William T. Dzurilla, international attorney and law clerk to Justice Byron White of the United States Supreme Court
- Carolyn Forché – professor, poet, editor, and human rights advocate
- Dennis "DJ" Mikolay - syndicated political columnist
- Michael Novak – philosopher, diplomat
- Tom Ridge – Republican, 43rd Governor of Pennsylvania and 1st Secretary of United States Department of Homeland Security.
- John Roberts – 17th Chief Justice of the United States
- Joe Sestak – US Representative, Democrat, Pennsylvania 7th District; retired US Naval vice-admiral
- Mark Singel – 28th Lieutenant Governor of Pennsylvania
- Judy Baar Topinka – Republican politician in Illinois
- Jesse Ventura – 38th Governor of Minnesota, wrestler, television personality
- Pete Visclosky – U.S. Representative for Indiana's 1st congressional district
- Štefan Banič – inventor of the military parachute and one of the first actually used parachute
- Eugene Cernan – retired United States Navy officer and a former NASA astronaut involved in the Apollo program (Slovak father)
- Richard Marcinko – U.S. Navy SEAL and Founder of SEAL Team 6
- Michael Strank – Sergeant of the United States Marine Corps. Famous for Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima.
- Matej Kocak - Sergeant of the United States Marine Corps. Double Medal of Honor recipient in World War I.
- Joseph Victor Adamec – bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown
- Teresa Demjanovich – Roman Catholic nun
- John Hardon – priest, author, theologian, community leader
- Thomas Hopko – Orthodox Christian theologian
- Jaroslav Pelikan – Scholar of the history of Christianity, Christian theology and medieval intellectual history
- David A. Bednar - Member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon)
Science and medicine
- John Dopyera – inventor of the resonator acoustic guitar
- Mike Fincke – NASA astronaut- International Space Station Commander
- Daniel Carleton Gajdusek – Nobel Prize winner for discovery of viruses with prolonged incubation periods
- Ivan Alexander Getting – Electrical engineer inventor of GPS
- Jozef Murgaš – inventor, architect, botanist, painter, US patriot, and Roman Catholic priest.
- Douglas D. Osheroff – physicist
- Hugh David Politzer - physicist, Nobel Prize winner for the discovery of asymptotic freedom in quantum chromodynamics
- Ján Vilček – biomedical scientist, educator, inventor and philanthropist.He is currently a professor in the Department of Microbiology at the New York University School of Medicine and President of The Vilcek Foundation
- Chuck Bednarik – former professional American football player for the Philadelphia Eagles of the NFL.
- Jeff Bzdelik – basketball coach at Wake Forest University
- Jack Kralick – former pitcher for Washington Senators and Cleveland Indians.
- Andy Kosco – former baseball player
- Elmer Valo – Slovak-American right fielder, coach and scout in Major League Baseball
- Jason Varitek- Former captain and catcher for Boston Red Sox (1997-2011)
- Johnny Kucab – pitcher for Philadelphia Athletics in 1940s and 1950s.
- Pete Latzo – boxer
- Stan Mikita – professional ice hockey player
- Kelly Pavlik – undefeated WBO/World Boxing Council middleweight boxing champion.
- George Shuba – former outfielder for the Brooklyn Dodgers.
- Peter Stastny – professional ice hockey player
- Yan Stastny – professional ice hockey player
- Paul Stastny – professional ice hockey player
- USA WEEKEND Magazine
- Newsletter – Fall 2002
- "Reader feedback: Don't forget Czechoslovak films". The Slovak Spectator.
- Hertz Corporation
- Scalzo, Joe (September 30, 2007). "Pavlik credits Valley support for victory". The Vindicator. p. 1.
- "Having a hand in baseball history". The Chicago Tribune. April 17, 2006.