Monmouth Regional High School
|Monmouth Regional High School|
|Type and location|
|Address||One Norman J. Field Way
Tinton Falls, NJ 07724
|Superintendent||Charles Ford, Jr.|
|Business administrator||Maria Parry|
|Enrollment||1,025 (as of 2012-13)|
|District Factor Group||GH|
|Monmouth Regional High School|
|One Norman J. Field Way
Tinton Falls, NJ 07724
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Monmouth Regional High School District|
|Assistant principals||Brian Evans
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Color(s)||Black and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Shore Conference|
Monmouth Regional High School is a regional, four-year public high school and public school district based in Tinton Falls, Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States, that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from Eatontown, Shrewsbury Township and Tinton Falls, along with students from the military installation of Naval Weapons Station Earle. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1967.
As of the 2012-13 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,025 students. There were 100 students (9.8% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 29 (2.8% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "GH", the third-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 123rd-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 129th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 177th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 133rd in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 118th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
Schooldigger.com ranked the school as tied for 236th out of 376 public high schools statewide in its 2010 rankings (a decrease of 17 positions from the 2009 rank) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the language arts literacy and mathematics components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
Board of education
The district is governed by a nine-member Board of Education. Board members are elected to serve three-year terms, with three seats coming up for election each year. Of the nine members, four each come from both Eatontown and Tinton Falls, and one from Shrewsbury Township.
The high school is approved by the New Jersey Department of Education.
Special systems are in place to service the needs of youngsters from the transient military population.
52% of the professional staff hold advanced degrees. Monmouth Regional High School classroom teachers have an average of 12 years of teaching experience. The school has a 16 to 1 student to teacher ratio.
Advanced Placement (AP) courses are offered in AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP English Language and Composition, AP French Language, AP Latin Literature, AP Spanish Language, AP United States History, AP Psychology, AP United States Government and Politics and AP European History. Honors level courses are offered in the five academic disciplines and in advanced elective offerings in the applied technology area. Articulated programs with Brookdale Community College and Ramapo College make it possible for students to earn college credits while in high school. “Futures”, a competitive elective program for the Gifted, is designed to develop students’ critical thinking and problem solving abilities. Students also have the Opportunity to take part in research opportunities, such as the Waksman Institute at Rutgers University.
In addition to passing the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA), all graduates must successfully complete a minimum of 120 credits, including four years each of English and Physical Education / Health, three years of Mathematics, three years of Science, 2 years of U.S. History, one year of World History, one year of a foreign language and two years of Fine / Performing / Practical Arts.
The Monmouth Regional High School Falcons compete in the Shore Conference an athletic conference made up of private and public high schools centered at the Northern Jersey Shore in Monmouth County and Ocean County, operating under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 714 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as Central Jersey, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 506 to 749 students in that grade range.
The 2005 baseball team won the 2005 Central, Group III sectional championship with an 11-1 win over Manchester Township High School in the first round, 10-0 over Ewing High School in the semis and a 6-0 shutout over Ocean Township High School in the finals. The team moved on to win defeat Ramapo High School by a score of 3-1 to become Group III State Champions.
The 2007 boys indoor track team won every title possible, the 4x400 team was crowned group III and overall state champions, as well as winning the Group III outdoor tile with a meet record time of 3:15.04.
- Milton Goode (born 1960), retired high jumper who represented the United States at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles, having first learned the high jump at Monmouth Regional.
- Charles R. Ford, Jr., Superintendent
- Maria Anne Parry, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- Andrew Teeple - Principal
- Brian Evans - Assistant Principal
- Kathy Mihalko - Assistant Principal
- School Data for Monmouth Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed March 27, 2015.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- School Profile 2014-2015, Monmouth Regional High School. Accessed December 15, 2014. "Opened in 1961, Monmouth Regional High School is a four year, comprehensive public high school with a diverse student population of approximately 1000 students, including 54% White, 18% Black, 16%Hispanic, 7% Asian and 5% other."
- Monmouth Regional High School 2013 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed March 21, 2015. "Monmouth Regional is a comprehensive high school serving a culturally diverse student population of approximately 1050 students. Pupils attending reside in the Monmouth County communities of Eatontown, Shrewsbury Township, and Tinton Falls. In addition, some students come from the military facility of Earle Naval Weapons Station."
- Monmouth Regional High School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed January 19, 2012.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed August 29, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 21, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2009-2010, Schooldigger.com. Accessed January 19, 2012.
- Streib, Lauren. "America's Best High Schools", The Daily Beast, May 6, 2013. Accessed May 9, 2013.
- Board Members, Monmouth Regional High School. Accessed March 21, 2011.
- League Memberships – 2014-2015, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- Shore Conference teams, accessed March 19, 2007 Archived March 2, 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for Central Jersey, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- 2005 Baseball - Central, Group III, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed October 20, 2007.
- 2005 Baseball - Public Semis/Finals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed October 20, 2007.
- 2007 Boys Basketball - Central, Group III, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed July 25, 2007.
- 2005 Girls Basketball - Central, Group III, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed October 20, 2007.
- Morris, Tim. "Monmouth, RFH 4x400 teams break state records ", The Hub, June 7, 207. Accessed November 7, 2013. "Monmouth's boys tinkered with their line-up at the State Group III championships, moving Chris Cox to the second leg from his usual penultimate third slot, switching places with Rashon Verrett. Kelly Fisher still led it off and Charles Cox anchored. The new format certainly worked as the All-American quartet turned in a 3:15.04, breaking the old Shore Conference record set by Monmouth's 1980 team of 3:15.60.... Monmouth's boys were looking to duplicate their indoor MOC title and Rumson's girls were looking to win a medal that would confirm that they are one of the best teams in the state."
- Morris, Tim. "Monmouth relay team earns All-American status", The Hub, June 21, 2007. Accessed November 7, 2013.
- Litsky, Frank. "Goode is Jumping With Joy", The New York Times, February 14, 1982. Accessed November 7, 2013. "Milton Goode remembers the first time he high-jumped. 'I come from Tinton Falls, N.J.,' he said. 'It was in my sophomore year at Monmouth Regional High School.'"
- Administration, Monmouth Regional High School. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- New Jersey School Directory for Monmouth County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- Monmouth Regional High School District
- Monmouth Regional High School District's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Monmouth Regional High School District, National Center for Education Statistics
- DigitalSports Monmouth Regional Homepage