Morristown High School
|Morristown High School|
|50 Early Street
Morristown, NJ 07960
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Morris School District|
|NCES School ID||341081004366 |
|Vice principal||Mike Bruchac|
|Faculty||100.5 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||1,482 (as of 2010-11)|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.75:1|
|Color(s)||Maroon & White|
|Athletics conference||Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference|
Morristown High School (or MHS) is a four-year public high school serving students in grades 9 - 12 from three communities in Morris County, New Jersey, United States, operating as part of the Morris School District. The school serves students from Morristown and Morris Township, along with students from Morris Plains, who attend the district's high school as part of a sending/receiving relationship with the Morris Plains Schools. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1952.
As of the 2010-11 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,482 students and 100.5 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 14.75:1. There were 249 students (16.8% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 61 (4.1% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 75th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 328 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2012 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 66th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 78th in 2008 out of 316 schools.
The Morristown High School Colonials participate in the Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference, an athletic conference made up of high schools located in Morris County, Sussex County and Warren County in New Jersey, operating under the auspices of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association.
The Morristown baseball team won the Group III state championship in 2006 with wins over Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan and Ocean Township High School by 3-1 and 11-7 respectively. They finished the season ranked third out of more than 300 high schools in the state by the Star Ledger's Top 20.
The football team won the North II Group III title in 1997, 1998, and 1999, which were the school's first ever "3-peat" consecutive wins. The team had also won state titles in 1974 in North II, Group IV, and in both 1993 and 2010 in North II Group III. N24 1974 N23 1993, 1997-1999, 2010
|This section requires expansion. (March 2007)|
Morristown High School was opened on December 13, 1869 on Maple Avenue, four years after Morristown had seceded from Morris Township. It accepted students from both the town and the township. The first graduates were the class of 1874, consisting of eight students, five girls and three boys.
Morristown High School played its first football game on September 28, 1901 against Port Oram.
The cornerstone of the current MHS building was laid on September 9, 1916. Classes at the current building began on September 4, 1918.
M.H.S. currently receives students from Frelinghuysen Middle School, Morris Plains Borough School, and several private and parochial middle schools.
In 2005, Linda D. Murphy, an assistant principal at Morristown High School, was promoted to principal of Morristown High School, becoming the first Morristown High School graduate (Class of 1972) to fill the position.
In 2009, year-round rotating block schedule replaced the semester-based block scheduling.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Ethel Minchello, Interim Principal
- Mike Bruchac, Vice Principal
- James J. Barry, Jr. (born 1946, class of 1964), Director of the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs and member of the New Jersey General Assembly.
- Connor Lade (born 1989, class of 2008), professional soccer player for the New York Red Bulls.
- Craig Newmark (born 1952, class of 1971), creator of the web community craigslist.
- Tim O'Connor (born 1976, class of 1995), professional skateboarder.
- Dan Quinn (born 1970, class of 1989), Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator.
- Gene Shalit (born 1926), book and movie critic.
- Rick Sofield (born 1956, class of 1975), former Major League Baseball first-round draft pick & outfielder for the Minnesota Twins.
- Lexington Steele (born 1969, class of 1987), Adult film star, and three time AVN Male Performer of the Year Award winner.
- Ben Weinman (born 1975, class of 1994), guitarist for The Dillinger Escape Plan.
- John Chironna, former head football coach at the University of Rhode Island, was a teacher and head football coach at Morristown and mentored Charlie Weis.
- Joyce Kilmer (1886–1918), poet and author, taught at Morristown High School 1908-1909.
- Charlie Weis (born 1956), former head football coach at the University of Notre Dame, was an assistant football coach and English teacher from 1980-1985. He was also the school's fencing coach for the 1984-85 season.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for MorristownHigh School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- Morristown High School 2011 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed July 18, 2012. "Comprised of 1,478 ethnically diverse students speaking more than 20 different languages, the educational program serves the students entrusted to the school by its communities: Morristown, Morris Township and Morris Plains."
- Morristown High School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed September 11, 2011.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 2, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed May 31, 2011.
- Mathews, Jay. "The High School Challenge 2011: Morristown High School", The Washington Post. Accessed September 11, 2011.
- League Memberships – 2012-2013, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 27, 2012.
- 2006 Baseball - Public Semis/Finals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 20, 2007.
- Glickson, Grant. "HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL; Second Straight Title for Morristown", The New York Times, December 6, 1998. Accessed June 25, 2008. "First, the Morristown Colonials (11-0) defeated Westfield (9-3) by 37-14 in the North Jersey, Section 2, Group 3 final.... The Colonials, now 7-0 in playoff action, claimed their first two state titles in 1974 and 1993.
- Goldberg, Jeff. N.J.S.I.A.A. FOOTBALL PLAYOFF CHAMPIONS, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed July 18, 2012.
- Administrative Team, Morristown High School. Accessed December 29, 2012.
- Staff. "Living a Dream; Ex-St. John's defender signs with Red Bulls", Big Apple Soccer, December 5, 2011. Accessed July 18, 2012. "Lade attended Morristown High School and was a three-time first team All-Conference, All-State and All-County selection."
- Bangiola, Paul M. "An interview with Craigslist founder: Morristown native Craig Newmark", Morristown Green, September 15, 2008. Accessed July 18, 2012. "MorristownGreen.com was able to land an up close and personal interview with Craig Newmark, the founder of "Craigslist," who is a native of Morristown and a Morristown High School alumnus. (class of 1971)."
- Seman, Rob. "Morristown bans rides on the sidewalks", Daily Record (Morristown), September 13, 2006. Accessed March 18, 2013. "Councilman John Cryan said that Morristown High School alumnus and professional skateboarder Tim O'Connor has pledged his support for a skateboard park."
- Bonasera, Paul. "Quinn coaching winners on the field and off in Morris Twp.", Daily Record (Morristown), December 10, 2008. Accessed February 27, 2013. "Dan, the youngest of six children, was captain of the Morristown High School football team."
- Staff. "Morris History Includes Rich, Famous", Daily Record (Morristown), June 23, 2002. Accessed September 11, 2011. "Gene Shalit film critic on NBCTV's Today show got his start writing a humor column called 'The Korn Krib' for the Morristown High School newspaper."
- Kuty, Brendan. "Gallery of Honor", Daily Record (Morristown), December 19, 2007. Accessed July 18, 2012. "Rick Sofield is no stranger to the spotlight. But in front of a small crowd in the Morristown High School gymnasium, the former major league baseball player had a tough time maintaining his composure. Sofield, who graduated in 1975, was selected first team all-state by the Associated Press in football and baseball in his senior season and rejected a football scholarship to the University of Michigan to play professional baseball."
- 1975 Baseball Draft Results - Round #1, The Baseball Cube. Accessed December 31, 2006.
- Staff. "How to Build a Winner; New Jersey Sports", The New York Times, November 19, 1974. Accessed July 18, 2012. "It took sometime and much hard work, but John Chironna seems to have met the challenge he envisioned when he became head football coach at Morristown High eight years ago. Chironna had spent 10 years as a successful head coach at the University of Rhode Island, but was taking over with younger athletes at a school that had won only one game in two seasons. "
- Thamel, Pete. "Weis Made His Luck on Way to the Irish", The New York Times, December 19, 2004. Accessed September 16, 2008. "After graduating in 1978, Weis decided to become a coach and teacher. He returned to New Jersey and taught at Boonton High School, then at nearby Morristown High, where he found his first football mentor, Morristown Coach John Chironna."
- Morristown High School
- Morris School District
- Football team
- Marching Colonials
- Morristown High School's 2010–11 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Morris School District, National Center for Education Statistics