Irvington High School (New Jersey)
|Irvington High School|
|1253 Clinton Avenue
Irvington, NJ 07111
|Type||public high school|
|School district||Irvington Public Schools|
|Principal||Burnett Davis III|
|Assistant principals||Mohamed Baala
|Faculty||113.0 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||1,465 (as of 2010-11)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.96:1|
|Color(s)||Blue and White|
|Athletics conference||Super Essex Conference|
Irvington High School: Frank H. Morrell Campus is a four-year public high school in Irvington, in Essex County, New Jersey, United States, that serves students in grades 9 to 12, as the only high school of the Irvington Public Schools. IHS has three main floors and a basement, with each floor holding up to 23 classrooms. A west wing of the building was erected in the 1980s.
As of the 2010-11 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,465 students and 113.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.96:1. There were 670 students (45.7% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 61 (4.2% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 309th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 328 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2012 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 287th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 307th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was bottom-ranked, 316th, in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
Irvington High School's administrative staff consists of:
Jena Martin Principal
- Mohamed Baala, Assistant Principal
- Sandra Boone-Gibbs, Principal on Special Assignment
- Josh Evans (born 1991, class of 2009), safety for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- Queen Latifah (born 1970), singer and actress.
- Jerry Lewis (born 1926), actor and comedian.
- Raheem Morris (born 1976, class of 1994), former head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and assistant coach for the Washington Redskins.
- Alshermond Singleton, former American football linebacker who played ten seasons in the NFL for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Dallas Cowboys
- Data for Irvington High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 9, 2012.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 1, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 2, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- Home page, Irvington High School. Accessed April 24, 2013.
- Ragozzino, Joe. "Irvington’s Josh Evans hopes to get picked in the NFL Draft", Essex News Daily, April 16, 2013. "Irvington’s Josh Evans is hoping to get his name called during the National Football League Draft, which starts Thursday, April 25, and runs through April 27. Evans, a 2009 Irvington High School graduate, completed his collegiate career at the University of Florida."
- Staff. Queen Latifah, Gale (publisher). Accessed February 2, 2011. "She added popular music, especially rap, to her repertoire around the time she entered Irvington High School, where she also played power forward on her school's championship basketball team."
- Staff. "Jerry Lewis' Old-Time 'Thing' Now Setting Pace In Movies", The Calgary Herald, June 26, 1970. Accessed February 2, 2011. "In today's vernacular, he has been 'letting it all hang out' ever since he was a cheerleader at Irvington (New Jersey) High School."
- Gelb, Matt. Irvington High alum and Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Raheem Morris honored in return to hometown", The Star-Ledger, June 5, 2009. Accessed May 11, 2013. "Morris, a 1994 Irvington High graduate, made his first trip back to his hometown since being hired by the Buccaneers Jan. 17."
- "Al Singleton". databaseFootball.com. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- Irvington High School
- Irvington Public Schools
- Irvington Public Schools's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Irvington Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics