Otto Township, Kankakee County, Illinois
Location in Kankakee County
Kankakee County's location in Illinois
|Established||December 11, 1855|
|• Supervisor||Ronald W. Thompsen|
|• Total||48.53 sq mi (125.7 km2)|
|• Land||48.21 sq mi (124.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.32 sq mi (0.8 km2) 0.66%|
|Elevation||636 ft (194 m)|
|• Density||53.6/sq mi (20.7/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||60901, 60922, 60941|
|GNIS feature ID||0429516|
Otto Township is one of seventeen townships in Kankakee County, Illinois, USA. As of the 2010 census, its population was 2,582 and it contained 937 housing units. It was formed from portions of Aroma and Limestone townships on December 11, 1855 as Carthage Township; its name was changed to Otto Township on March 11, 1857.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 48.53 square miles (125.7 km2), of which 48.21 square miles (124.9 km2) (or 99.34%) is land and 0.32 square miles (0.83 km2) (or 0.66%) is water.
Cities, towns, villages
- Aroma Park (west edge)
- Chebanse (north quarter)
- Kankakee (southwest quarter)
- Sammons Point (vast majority)
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Kankakee Township (northeast)
- Aroma Township (east)
- Papineau Township, Iroquois County (east)
- Chebanse Township, Iroquois County (south)
- Milks Grove Township, Iroquois County (southwest)
- Pilot Township (west)
- Limestone Township (northwest)
The township contains these two cemeteries: Barnett and Saint James.
Airports and landing strips
- Greater Kankakee Airport
The township is governed by an elected Town Board of a Supervisor and four Trustees. The Township also has an elected Assessor, Clerk, Highway Commissioner and Supervisor. The Township Office is located at 809 East 4000 South Road, Kankakee, IL 60901. The township assessor is Bill Surprenant and his son Phil is the assistant assessor for Otto Township. The township clerk is Mauricio Rua.
- Illinois' 11th congressional district
- State House District 75
- State House District 79
- State Senate District 38
- State Senate District 40
- Central Community Unit School District 4
- Herscher Community Unit School District 2
- Kankakee School District 111
- "Otto Township, Kankakee County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.