Pembroke Township, Kankakee County, Illinois
Location in Kankakee County
Kankakee County's location in Illinois
|Established||February 17, 1877|
|• Supervisor||Larry Gibbs|
|• Total||52.42 sq mi (135.8 km2)|
|• Land||52.42 sq mi (135.8 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||663 ft (202 m)|
|• Density||40.8/sq mi (15.8/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||60954, 60964|
|GNIS feature ID||0429543|
Pembroke Township is one of seventeen townships in Kankakee County, Illinois, USA. As of the 2010 census, its population was 2,140 and it contained 1,062 housing units. Pembroke Township was formed from parts of Momence township on February 17, 1877.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 52.42 square miles (135.8 km2), all land.
Cities, towns, villages
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Momence Township (north)
- Lake Township, Newton County, Indiana (northeast)
- McClellan Township, Newton County, Indiana (east)
- Beaverville Township, Iroquois County (south)
- St. Anne Township (west)
- Ganeer Township (northwest)
The township contains the Guiding Star Memorial Cemetery.
As of November 11, 2009, according to a CBS newspaper article, the government fired the police force and closed two of three elementary schools. Currently, the County Sheriff provides patrols. Almost half the working age adults are out of work. Pembroke was once home to a Nestle Corporation factory where more than 100 people worked.
The township is governed by an elected Town Board of a Supervisor and four Trustees. The Township also has an elected Assessor, Clerk, Highway Commissioner and Supervisor. The Township Office is located at PO Box A, Hopkins Park, IL 60944.
- Illinois' 11th congressional district
- State House District 79
- State Senate District 40
- Pembroke Community Consolidated School District #259
- St. Anne Community Consolidated School District 256
- St. Anne Community High School District 302
- "Pembroke Township, Kankakee County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.