|Born||Paz Campos Trigo
2 January 1976
Seville, Andalusia, Spain
|Spouse(s)||Orson Salazar (m. 2002)|
Vega was born in Seville, Andalusia, Spain to a homemaker mother and a retired bullfighter father. Vega's younger sister has performed as a flamenco dancer. Vega has described her family as "traditional" and Catholic. She took her stage name from her grandmother. After attending a performance of Federico García Lorca's La casa de Bernarda Alba at the age of 15 she was convinced that she wanted to become an actress. After completing compulsory education at 16, she was accepted at the prestigious Centro Andaluz de Teatro stage school. After two years at the stage school and two more years studying journalism, Vega moved to Madrid.
Vega made her television debut in the Spanish TV series, Menudo es mi padre, which starred rumba singer El Fary. After appearing in two other series in 1997—Más que amigos and teen drama Compañeros—she went on to the silver screen in 1999 in Zapping. The same year she also had a minor role in the David Menkes movie I Will Survive (Sobreviviré) alongside Emma Suárez, Juan Diego Botto and a cameo from Boy George.
Vega found success in 1999's 7 Vidas. The series was billed as a Spanish Friends and went on to become one of the country's best-loved domestic sitcoms. Vega played Laura, a perky Andalusian girl who had come to stay with David, who had recently come out of a coma. The series was broadcast on Telecinco and finished on 12 April 2006, albeit without Vega.
The 2001 Julio Médem-directed film Sex and Lucia brought the actress to the attention of a larger audience. She appeared in a supporting role in the 2004 James L. Brooks film Spanglish opposite Adam Sandler. In 2006, she co-starred with Morgan Freeman in the independent film 10 Items or Less. In 2008, she co-starred with Gabriel Macht, Samuel L. Jackson, and Scarlett Johansson in The Spirit. In 2011, Paz Vega had a role in the Italian movie Vallanzasca –The Angels of Evil by Michele Placido.
Vega and her Venezuelan husband, Orson Salazar, had their first child, son Orson, on 2 May 2007. Her second child, daughter Ava, was born on 17 July 2009. Their third child, son Lenon, was born on 13 August 2010.
|Year||Movie||Role||Notes and Awards|
|1997||Más allá del jardín|
|2000||Nadie conoce a nadie||Ariadna|
|El chico en la puerta (short film)|
|2001||Lucía y el sexo||Lucía|
|2002||Hable con ella||Amparo|
|El otro lado de la cama||Sonia|
|2004||Di que sí||Estrella Cuevas|
|2006||10 Items or Less||Scarlet|
|Los Borgia||Caterina Sforza|
|Fade to Black||Lea Padovani|
|2007||Teresa, el cuerpo de Cristo||Santa Teresa de Jesús|
|La Masseria Delle Allodole||Nunik|
|2008||The Human Contract||Michael|
|The Spirit||Plaster of Paris|
|The Six Wives of Henry Lefay||Veronica|
|Burning Palms||Blanca Juarez|
|Wanted: Weapons of Fate||Araña||video game|
|2010||Castro's Daughter||Alina Fernandez|
|2011||The Flower of Evil||Antonella D'Agostino|
|2012||Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted||the Andalusian Triplets (Esmeralda, Esperanza and Ernestina)||Voice|
|María de Nazaret||Mary Magdalene|
|2013||I'm So Excited||Alba|
|2014||Grace of Monaco||Maria Callas|
|Não Pare na Pista - A Melhor História de Paulo Coelho||Luiza|
|Kill the Messenger||Filming|
Awards and nominations
- 2001, Best actress in a leading role, Sólo mía, NOMINATION
- 2001, Best breakthrough actress performance, Lucía y el sexo, WON
- Premios Unión de Actores
- 2001, Unión de Actores Award best actress|Best actress in a leading role, Sólo mía, NOMINATION
- 2001, Premio Unión de Actores best breakthrough actress performance|Best breakthrough actress performance, Lucía y el sexo, NOMINATION
- Fotogramas de Plata|Fotogramas de Plata
- 2003, Best actress, Carmen, NOMINATION
- 2002, Best actress, El otro lado de la cama, NOMINATION
- 2001, Best actress, Lucía y el sexo and Sólo mía, NOMINATION
- European Awards
- 2003, Viewers award best actress, Carmen, Nomination
- 2001, Trofeo Chopard best breakthrough performance, Lucía y el sexo, WON
- 2004, Best actress, Spanglish, WON
- 2004, Best breakthrough performance, Spanglish, WON
- Círculo de Escritores Cinematográficos
- 2001, Best actress, Sólo mía, WON
- Sant Jordi Awards
- 2001, Best Spanish Act, Lucía y el sexo and Sólo mía]], WON
- 2001, Best actress, Lucía y el sexo, WON
- Hart, Hugh (2004-12-12). "‘Spanglish’ Actress’ Talent Translates Well". SFGate.com. Retrieved 2014-01-24.
- "In Step With: Paz Vega". Parade Magazine. 2004-12-12.
- "Paz Vega tras la estela de Penélope Cruz: ‘Para mí es un honor que me comparen con ella’". Hola. 5 May 2011. Retrieved 7 May 2011.
- "Spanish actress Paz Vega gives birth to baby boy", 3 May 3, 2007 article from the Associated Press, via the International Herald Tribune. Retrieved February 10, 2008.
- 03:00 PM ET. "Paz Vega Welcomes Daughter Ava – Moms & Babies – Moms & Babies — People.com". Celebrity-babies.com. Retrieved 2010-03-27.
- "Paz Vega Leaves Hospital with Baby Lenon".
- Orry, James (February 6, 2009). "Wanted gets Hollywood voice cast". VideoGamer. Retrieved 2009-02-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paz Vega.|