|Company / developer||Grimmlin (Michael Zanetta - founder), Zero_Chaos (Rick Farina), blshkv (Anton Bolshakov), Wuodan (Stefan Kuhn), Jensp (Jens Pranaitis) |
|Source model||Free and open source software|
|Initial release||June 22, 2005|
|Latest release||2012.0  / |
|Package manager||Portage with Pentoo overlay|
|Supported platforms||IA-32, x86-64|
|Kernel type||Modular (Linux)|
|Default user interface||XFCE4 WM from LiveCD, various|
|License||GNU General Public License, others|
Pentoo is a Live CD and Live USB designed for penetration testing and security assessment. Based on Gentoo Linux, Pentoo is provided both as 32 and 64 bit installable livecd. Pentoo is also available as an overlay for an existing Gentoo installation. It features packet injection patched wifi drivers, GPGPU cracking software, and lots of tools for penetration testing and security assessment. The Pentoo kernel includes grsecurity and PAX hardening and extra patches - with binaries compiled from a hardened toolchain with the latest nightly versions of some tools available.
- Available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions, the latter having a significant speed increase from 32bit
- Includes the required environment to crack passwords using GPGPU with openCL and CUDA configured 'out of the box' 
- Built on hardened linux, including a hardened kernel and toolchain
- Hardened kernel with extra patches - 
- Uses a pentoo overlay, which allows tools to be built on top of a standard gentoo build
- Although the latest official release was 2009.0, there are still regular contributions and updates to the overlay to keep the distribution up to date. Update: 2012.0 Had been officially released July 30, 2012.
- Support for full disk encryption with LUKs if installed on HDD
- Automated installation 
Tools are installed with versioned ebuilds and open-ended ebuilds, making it possible to pull in the latest subversions and still have installs tracked by package management. The following tool categories are included:
Pentoo uses rolling releases with periodic ISO snapshots of the latest committed updates.
|2013/03/09||Pentoo 2013.0 RC1.1|
- "Pentoo". pentoo.ch. 2009-12-04. Retrieved 2011-01-22.
- . pentoo.ch http://dev.pentoo.ch/~zero/isos/. Retrieved 2011-01-22. Missing or empty
- "Overlay usage". Retrieved 2013-01-08.
- "Cuda,Stream,mpi,and Multiforcer". Retrieved 2011-01-22.
- "Pentoo Updates". Retrieved 2011-01-22.
- "Pentoo, another security distro". Retrieved 2011-01-22.
- "Kernel Patches". Retrieved 2011-01-22.
- "Timeline of Updates". Retrieved 2011-01-22.
- "Installation video". Retrieved 2013-01-08.
- "SVN ebuild example". Retrieved 2011-04-10.
- "Menu Categories". Retrieved 2011-04-10.
- "Releases". DistroWatch.com. Retrieved 2011-01-22.