Red Star OS
|Company / developer||Korea Computer Center, North Korea|
|Latest stable release||2.0|
|Marketing target||Workstations, servers|
|Available language(s)||Korean (North Korean standard)|
|Supported platforms||i386 (x86)|
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux)|
|Default user interface||KDE 3|
Red Star OS (Chosŏn'gŭl: 붉은별; MR: Pulgŭnbyŏl) is a North Korean Linux-based operating system. Development started in 2002 at the Korea Computer Center. Prior to its development, computers in North Korea typically used English versions of Microsoft Windows. As of 2010[update], it is on version 2.0. It is only offered in a Korean language edition, localised with North Korean terminology and spelling.
Based on the KDE 3.x desktop system, Red Star OS features a modified Mozilla Firefox browser titled Naenara used for browsing the Naenara web portal on the North Korean intranet network known as Kwangmyong. Other software includes a text editor, an e-mail client, audio and video players, and games.
The Japan-based, North Korea-affiliated newspaper Choson Sinbo interviewed two Red Star OS programmers in June 2006. In February 2010, a Russian international student at the Kim Il-sung University in Pyongyang purchased a copy and posted about it on his LiveJournal account; Russian television station RT then picked up his LiveJournal post and translated it into English. English-language technology blogs, including Engadget and Osnews, as well as South Korean wire services such as Yonhap, went on to repost the content.   On YouTube, there have also been demos of the OS.
- Kim, Chi-yong (2006-06-21), "〈민족정보산업의 부흥 -상-〉 《우리식 콤퓨터조작체계(OS) 》의 개발과 도입", Choson Sinbo (in Korean), retrieved 2006-03-03
- Nam, Hyeon-ho (2010-03-03), "北, 독자적 컴퓨터 운영체제 '붉은별' 개발", Yonhap News (in Korean), retrieved 2013-01-23
- "North Korea’s “secret cyber-weapon”: brand new Red Star OS", RT, 2010-03-01, retrieved 2013-01-23
- Holwerda, Thom (2009-03-04), "North Korea Develops Its Own Linux Distribution", OSNews, retrieved 2013-01-23
- Flatley, Joseph L. (2009-03-04), "North Korea's Red Star OS takes the 'open' out of 'open source'", Engadget, retrieved 2013-01-23
- Red Star Linux (붉은 별) Video (비디오) 1 on YouTube
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Red Star OS|
- "OS "Red Star" - линуксоиды всех стран, соединяйтесь!" (in Russian). 2010-02-27.
- "北 컴퓨터운영체제 붉은별 첫 분석" (in Korean).