|Founded||2006 in Kent, UK|
|Area served||United Kingdom,
|Products||Mobile telecommunications products and services,
Mobile and desktop software
|Subsidiaries||Truphone Ltd (in UK),
Software Cellular Network Ltd (North America) (in USA),
Startel Communications Co Pty Ltd (in Australia),
SCN Truphone, S.L. (in Spain),
Truphone (Hong Kong) Limited (in Hong Kong),
Tru Pte Ltd (in Singapore), Truphone (Poland) Sp. z o.o. (in Poland)
Truphone is a global mobile network that operates its service internationally. It has headquarters in London, and offices in the United States, Australia, Hong Kong, Philippines, Spain, the Netherlands and Portugal.
The company's main product is its GSM service, Truphone, a SIM based mobile service which offers customers standard local rates rather than roaming rates in countries where the company has partnerships with local operators. It also maintains an app-based service that allows free VoIP capabilities, in addition to other features.
The current list of countries where Truphone customers pay only local rates for calls, texts and data are:
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Hong Kong
The service is not limited to the countries where Truphone has established local networks however, and the service works in and provides discounted roaming in over 220 countries.
The company's core business focus is Truphone (launched as Truphone Local Anywhere in January 2010), a GSM SIM-based mobile service which charges customers standard local rates rather than roaming rates in countries where the company has partnerships with local operators.
Truphone was originally formed as a company which developed downloadable mobile VoIP applications for smartphones, using the integrated Wi-Fi connection on the device. These offered two benefits: 1. Ability to make free or low cost calls on the mobile device in areas where there is weak or no GSM coverage; and 2. Ability to send Instant Messages to other networks.
The first application released was for Nokia devices. This was followed by applications for Apple iPhone, BlackBerry smartphones, Apple iPod Touch, and Android devices and a softphone application for desktop was launched in late 2010.
Truphone's SIM based products are entirely separate from the Apps. Truphone does, however, intend to combine the SIM and App accounts for customers in the future.
Truphone's main funding comes from Vollin Holdings Limited, Minden, Somercourt Investments Ltd, Wellington Partners, Eden Ventures, Burda Capital, Independent News and Media and a number of high net worth individuals.
July 13, 2013 : Truphone, in which Roman Abramovich has a stake 23.5% stake for 70 million pounds has warned that it needs to raise fresh funds within 12 months after its losses widened by 20 per cent last year. Its accounts have also been qualified by its auditors, which said that there was uncertainty over its future.
High Court decision against T-Mobile
Products and services
The Tru SIM is a standard GSM service with patented technology which allows customers to have multiple country numbers and local rates for any or all of the countries where Tru has MVNO partnerships with local operators.
Truphone is able to offer local rates for calls, texts and data through MVNO partnerships with local mobile operators. Currently those countries are the United Kingdom, United States and Australia but the company has announced MVNO wholesale partnerships in Hong Kong, Spain and the Netherlands.
Each pre-pay SIM comes with 1 phone number, additional numbers can be purchased for an extra monthly fee (currently $8/month). Business plans include 2 phone numbers as standard.
In addition to the roaming service, Truphone offers mobile call and SMS recording service to financial institutions in the UK to comply with the mobile recording legislation from the Financial Services Authority. The Truphone mobile recording service is delivered through Tru Obsidian, an organisation created out of the acquisition of Obsidian Wireless by Truphone in 2012.
- Local rates in multiple countries
- Multiple Local Numbers on one mobile / SIM
- Smart CLI
- Works in 223 countries
- Call and SMS recording (optional, UK only)
The Smart Caller Line Identification (Smart CLI) technology means that the most appropriate number is displayed on the phone of the person the Tru SIM user is calling.
Truphone’s voice and SMS recording is integrated within the network infrastructure. Recorded conversations can be stored in the cloud or on site using integrated hardware and software solution from Tru Obsidian.
Partnerships and MVNO agreements
Truphone has MVNO agreements with operators in the UK, USA, Australia, Spain and the Netherlands which form a network of Tru Countries where users can benefit from access to local network. Currently, the UK, USA and Australia are the countries in which local rates and numbers are available for all Tru SIM users.
Truphone's VoIP application (known as Tru App), a separate product to the Tru SIM, allows users to make calls over the internet to landline and mobile phone contacts, and free calls to other Tru App users. Customers are also able to instant message contacts on other networks, such as Skype or Windows Live on selected devices.
The application is available as a free download and works on the following devices:
- Mobile devices:
- Desktops and laptops:
Text messages can be sent from Tru app versions for the iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and Nokia; as well as Apple Mac OS, Windows and Linux. Note as of the release of TruApp version 5 (in October/November 2012), text messaging functionality has been removed from the iOS app and TruApp for iPad has been removed from the Apple App Store altogether. Contact by a user with the company indicates text message functionality is hoped to be restored at a later date.
Tru App supports a range of calling methods: calls over wired or wireless internet on Windows, Mac and Linux. It supports calls over Wi-Fi, 3G and call-through, depending on the platform. Call-through is called Tru Anywhere, which uses the local minutes of the user to connect the call to a local Tru server. The BlackBerry application from Tru uses this method of calling only.
It has been suggested that internet-based communications could be used without fear of interception. Truphone maintains, however, that it is governed by and complies with the same 'lawful intercept' laws as every other telecommunications company.
- List of mobile network operators in the United Kingdom
- List of United States mobile phone companies
- List of mobile network operators in Australia
- Mobile virtual network operator
- Truphone, Office locations
- "About Truphone". Lastminute.com.
- "Truphone brings internet-rate phone calls to ordinary mobiles at The Cloud’s hotspots". RealWire. 2006-12-06. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- Ray, Bill (21 January 2010). "Truphone launches Local Anywhere service". The Register.
- "Truphone Offers '4G' WiFi Internet Phone Solution". TMC. 2006-05-08.
- Sorrel, Charlie (2007-09-27). "Truphone Brings True VoIP to iPhone | Gadget Lab". Wired.com. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- "Truphone brings VOIP app to Blackberry". Washingtonpost.com. 2008-10-27. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- "Technology | Wireless turns iPod into a phone". BBC News. 2008-12-06. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- Motorola il iDEN (2010-12-07). "Truphone rebrands to TRU; Launches desktop application". Intomobile.com. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- "Truphone App and SIM Services to Work Together". TruTower.com. 2012-02-06. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- "INTERNATIONAL MOBILE PHONE NETWORK COMPLETES PLANNED FUNDING ROUND, SECURING INVESTMENT OF £75 MILLION". Truphone. 2013-02-01. Retrieved 2013-02-01.
- "Truphone raises Ł16.5m ($32.7m) in Series B round". Realwire.com. 2008-04-17. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- Judge, Peter (9 October 2006). "Truphone Mobile VoIP (beta)". Techworld. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- "Mobile VoIP start-up Truphone secures European tech sector’s largest Series A funding of 2006". Realwire.com. 2007-01-09. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- "Truphone lands Red Herring 100 Europe award". The Tru Blog. Truphone. 2007-03-19. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- Ray, Bill (17 July 2007). "T-Mobile forced to connect Truphone numbers". The Register.
- "Truphone Raises Pounds Sterling 16.5m ($32.7m) in Series B Round". Marketwire.com. 2008-04-17. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- Ray, Bill (11 April 2008). "Truphone picks up Sim4Travel". The Register.
- Ray, Bill (27 May 2008). "Truphone becomes a true phone". The Register.
- Dunn, John (30 October 2008). "Truphone puts VoIP on Blackberry minus Wi-Fi". Techworld. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- "Truphone launches VOIP app for iPod touch". Pocket-lint. 2008-12-04. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- Kim Poh Liaw (2006-10-05). "Truphone Anywhere launches for Android". SlashPhone. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- "Comunicano : Truphone Adds Instant Messaging And Twitter To Its Iphone And Ipod Touch Applications". Comunicano.typepad.com. 2009-01-05. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- Tom Keating (2010-01-20). "Truphone Local Anywhere - All Calls Now a Local Call". Blog.tmcnet.com. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- Coventry, Sam (25 January 2010). "Vodafone, Truphone MVNO partnership announced". The Economy News (London). Archived from the original on 2010-01-28.
- "Truphone Launched First VoIP Client for Android on the Nexus One". Voip.about.com. 2010-02-13. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- Alicia (2010-04-02). "Truphone Launch Apple iPad App". Gadgetvenue.com. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- Motorola il iDEN (2010-06-18). "Truphone Local Anywhere hits Spain and the Netherlands". Intomobile.com. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "Truphone rebrands as ‘Tru’ and launches in Australia | Mobile News Online". Mobilenewscwp.co.uk. 2010-12-16. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- Motorola il iDEN (2010-12-17). "Tru launches its local rate-local number service in Australia". Intomobile.com. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "Tru and Obsidian Wireless Partnership". Truphone. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "Tru and Obsidian Wireless". Truphone. 2011-07-28. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "Comunicano : Travel". Comunicano.typepad.com. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- James Middleton (2010-01-20). "Truphone launches MVNO operations » telecoms.com – telecoms industry news, analysis and opinion". Telecoms.com. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "One year on, Truphone launches mobile roaming service for Aussie globetrotters - UPDATED". Itwire.com. 2011-02-16. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "Borderless Bundles". Truphone. Archived from the original on 2011-08-10.
- "Taping of mobile phones - Feedback on CP10/7 and final rules". Fsa.gov.uk. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "Products". Truphone. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "Behind the Scenes". Truphone. Archived from the original on 2011-02-13.
- "Technical Information". Truphone. Archived from the original on 2011-11-03.
- "The Global Network". TruPhone. Archived from the original on 2011-08-09.
- "Mobile VoIP from Tru". Truphone. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "Why get Tru App?". Truphone. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- Broida, Rick (2009-04-28). "Truphone 3.0 improves call quality, unifies IM | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews". Reviews.cnet.com. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "Truphone Expands Suite of Applications to the Desktop and Laptop". Voip-phone-service.tmcnet.com. 2010-12-06. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "Truphone App May Be Coming to Windows Phone 8". TruTower.com. 2012-02-04. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- "Tru Anywhere". Truphone. Archived from the original on 2011-08-09.
- "Truphone VoIP Now Available For Blackberry". Bright Hub. 27 October 2008. Archived from the original on 2010-01-02.
- Tom Keating (2006-09-12). "Truphone SIP client for mobile phones with free calling". Blog.tmcnet.com. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- Jones, Joey (2008-02-27). "Exclusive: Cops 'Cannot Tap Net Calls'". Sky News. Retrieved 2012-07-26.