University of Nantes
|University of Nantes|
|Université de Nantes|
|Latin: Universitas Naundes|
|Established||4 April 1460|
|Chancellor||William Marois (2013-present)
Rector of the Academy of Nantes
|President||Olivier Laboux (2012-present)|
The University of Nantes (French: Université de Nantes) is a French university, located in the city of Nantes. In addition to the several campuses scattered in the city of Nantes, there are two satellite campuses located respectively in Saint-Nazaire and La Roche-sur-Yon. Currently, the University is attended by approximately 34,500 students. More than 10% of them are international students coming from 110 countries.
The University of Nantes was ranked between 600-650th in the QS World University Rankings of 2013. On a national scale and regarding the professional insertion after graduation, the University of Nantes oscillates between the ranks 3rd and 40th out of 69 universities depending on the field of studies. On overall, the university is ranked 45th out of 76 universities in France. Among its noticeable alumni are the former French Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault as well as one of the French Ministers of Agriculture.
The current University was founded in 1970 under the terms of the 1968 law which reformed French higher education. This newly established institution replaced the former University of Nantes which had been founded in the early 1960s. This itself was a re-establishment of the original University of Nantes which was established by papal bull in 1460 but was abolished during the French Revolution.
The LMD and ECTS systems
Since 2004, the University has followed the LMD European system that divides the post-secondary education in 3 degrees: the Licence( equivalent of a Bachelor's degree), the Master and the Doctorat (PhD). Each course provides credits according to the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) developed by the European Commission and a certain amount of credits will allow a student to obtain their degree. For instance, the first post-secondary education degree, the Licence, can be obtained with 180 ECTS accumulated within 3 years. A full year gives 60 ECTS while a semester gives 30 ECTS.
List of faculties and schools
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Psychology
- Faculty of Science and Technology
- Faculty of Law and Political Science
- Department of History, Art History and Archaeology
- Department of Humanities and Languages
- Department of Languages - International Language Centre (CIL)
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Science and Technology of Physical Activities and Sports (STAPS)
- Institute of Geography and Regional Planning of Université de Nantes (IGARUN)
- Institute of Economics and Management - Institute of Business Administration (IEMN-IAE)
- Institute for Research and Education in French as a Foreigh Language (IRFFLE)
- Institute of Teacher Training (ÉSPÉ)
- Institute of Preparation for General Administration (IPAG)
- Observatory of Earth and Planetary Sciences (OSUNA)
- Institute of Technology of Nantes
- Institute of Technology of La Roche-sur-Yon
- Institute of Technology of Saint-Nazaire
- School of Engineering - École Polytechnique de Nantes
Life on campus
The University offers the students to practice more than 50 different sports, whether it is for competitive or recreational purposes. The University also provides adapted training to athlete students and participates in national and international competitions in the following disciplines: athletics, rowing, badminton, French boxing, soccer, hockey, judo, swimming and sailing. In 2011, the University was one of the first French university to create a quidditch team.
Approximately 3,500 places on residence are available each year. These places are distributed by the CROUS on a social status basis taking into account the yearly income of the student's parents or legal representative, the number of siblings remaining under the parents' responsibility and the distance between the University and the student's place of residence.
There are two types of residences:
- The traditional ones gather 9 m² single bedrooms in a building with common bathrooms and kitchens at each floor.
- The renovated ones with individual furnished apartments going from 13 to 18m².
The CROUS from Nantes manages the different student restaurants on campus as well as the meals they offer. Most of the restaurants are open for lunch and dinner from Monday to Friday and offer a complete meal at a price regulated on a yearly basis. For the academic year of 2013-2014, the price of a meal was set at €3.15 (2013-2014).
- La Chantrerie
- La Lombarderie
- Le Grill CHANZY
- Le Restaurant Oniris Chantrerie
- Le Restaurant Universitaire de la Fleuriaye
- Le Ricordeau
- Le Rubis
- Le Tertre
In La Roche-sur-Yon
- La Courtaisière
The University currently has partnerships with 389 institutions in 56 different countries worldwide. The majority of these partnerships are located in Europe. Each year, more than 1,000 students go abroad to study in one of those partner institutions for one or two semesters. The university receives each year students from its partner universities in exchange for welcoming the students from Nantes. The existing partnerships are ruled according to different international conventions such Erasmus (Europe), ISEP and CREPUQ (Quebec).
When leaving on exchange, the students are still registered in the University of Nantes and transfer the credits they gained in their host university. Conversely, the international students who came on exchange in Nantes will receive their credits in their home university.
There were approximately 3,700 international students registered in the University of Nantes for the year 2013-2014.
|Continent||Partner Universities |
- Emptoz, Gérard (2002). Histoire de l'Université de Nantes, 1460 - 1993 (in French). Rennes: Presses Univ. de Rennes [u.a.] p. 20. ISBN 2868477259.
- "Les effectifs étudiants 2013-2014 (in French)". Retrieved 2014.
- "QS World University Rankings". Retrieved 2013.
- "Le Parisien (in French)". Retrieved 2011-2012.
- "Le Parisien". Retrieved 2012-2013.
- "Réforme LMD (Licence-Master-Doctorat)(in French)". Retrieved 2012.
- [file:///C:/Users/Leslie/Downloads/systeme_ects_dans_le_programme_socrateserasmus_1160397110805.pdf "Le système ECTS dans SOCRATES-ERASMUS (in French)"].
- "Le sport de haut niveau (in French)". Retrieved 2013.
- "La Gazette du Sorcier (in French)".
- "CROUS Nantes (in French)". Retrieved 2014.
- "Description des logements (in French)". Retrieved 2014.
- "Qu'est ce que la restauration universitaire? (in French)". Retrieved 2014.
- "Une université ouverte sur le monde". Retrieved 2014.
- "International (in French)". Retrieved 2014.