||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (February 2013)|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Owner(s)||Duke Street Capital|
Created by Alan Yau, who subsequently created the Chinese restaurants Hakkasan and Yauatcha in London, the first Wagamama opened in 1992 in Bloomsbury. Wagamama can be found in places such as Manchester and a few in Liverpool.Wagamama doesnt just attract adults but attracts several young children; they are seen as Wagamamas biggest fans!
The chain currently includes 119 restaurants, with 94 being in the United Kingdom. Other restaurants are located in Australia, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Greece, Ireland, Kuwait, Malta, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Qatar, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, the U.A.E. and the United States.
The chain's website defines wagamama as meaning "‘naughty child’ – or one who is wilful and determined", and states that they aim to "offer a new kind of dining experience – one that offers fresh japanese-inspired food in a friendly, vibrant setting". The chain has released cookbooks in order to further extend their brand.
Wagamama has a number of features that have since been adopted by many restaurants. Orders are taken via PDAs, and wirelessly networked to the kitchen. Once orders are taken, food order numbers are written on customers' paper place mats and food is delivered to the table once cooked, which means dishes may not be served at the same time. Customers sit on either side of large tables, seating as many as 16 people at one table.
- "about wagamama". Wagamama. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- "the global wagamama map". Wagamama. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- Brendan Scott (4 November 2010). "Investcorp and Morgan Stanley to tuck into Wagamama". Real Deals. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- "Duke Street buys wagamama from Lion Capital". unquote.com. 1 April 2011. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- "Wagamama Increases Customer Satisfaction and Food and Beverage Sales With Symbol Technologies' Mobile Computers". PR Newswire. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- "Pennington Robson - Portfolio". Archived from the original on 2010-09-14. Retrieved 2012-10-09. "See photo on page."