Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article does not cite any sources. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|1434 by topic|
|Arts and science|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Art and literature|
|1434 in poetry|
|Ab urbe condita||2187|
|Balinese saka calendar||1355–1356|
|English Regnal year||12 Hen. 6 – 13 Hen. 6|
|Chinese calendar||癸丑年 (Water Ox)|
4130 or 4070
— to —
甲寅年 (Wood Tiger)
4131 or 4071
|- Vikram Samvat||1490–1491|
|- Shaka Samvat||1355–1356|
|- Kali Yuga||4534–4535|
|Japanese calendar||Eikyō 6|
|Minguo calendar||478 before ROC|
|Thai solar calendar||1976–1977|
1560 or 1179 or 407
— to —
1561 or 1180 or 408
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1434.|
- April 14 – The foundation stone of Nantes Cathedral in Nantes, France, is laid.
- May 30 – Hussite Wars – Battle of Lipany: The Catholics and Ultraquists defeat the Taborites, ending the Hussite Wars.
- June 19 or 20 – Zara Yaqob becomes Emperor of Ethiopia.
- Late June – Miner Engelbrekt Engelbrektsson begins a Swedish rebellion against King Eric of Pomerania (named the Engelbrekt rebellion after him), eventually leading to the deposition of the king.
- July 10–August 9 – Suero de Quiñones and his companions stage the Passo Honroso, at the Órbigo in León.
- August 16 – King Eric of Pomerania is deposed from the Swedish throne at a meeting in Vadstena. He still retains power in Denmark and Norway, though.
- September – Cosimo de' Medici returns to Florence one year, to the day, following his exile by the Albizzi and Strozzi faction.
- October 19 – The University of Catania is founded in Italy.
- Jan van Eyck paints the Arnolfini Portrait.
- Explorer Gil Eanes rounds Cape Bojador in Western Sahara, thus destroying the legends of the "Dark Sea".
- Portuguese traders deliver their first cargo of African slaves to Lisbon.
- In Ming Dynasty China, a long episode of drought, flood, locust infestation, and famine cripple agriculture and commerce in areas throughout the country, until 1448.
- The Puke Feud occurs in Sweden.
- January 7 – Adolf, Duke of Bavaria (d. 1441)
- March 12 – William III, Count of Henneberg-Schleusingen (d. 1480)
- March 19 – Ashikaga Yoshikatsu, Japanese shōgun (d. 1443)
- March 25 – Eustochia Smeralda Calafato, Italian saint (d. 1485)
- June 13 – Cristoforo della Rovere, Roman Catholic cardinal (d. 1478)
- September 18 – Eleanor of Portugal, Holy Roman Empress (d. 1467)
- September 23 – Yolande of Valois, Duchess consort of Savoy (d. 1478)
- December 28 – Antonio Grimani, Italian admiral (d. 1523)
- April 20 – Alexandra of Lithuania, Duchess of Masovia
- May 30 – Prokop the Great, Hussite general (b. 1380)
- June 1 – King Wladislaus II of Poland
- June 5 – Yuri IV, Russian grand prince (b. 1374)
- November 12 – King Louis III of Anjou (b. 1403)
- date unknown