1898 in film
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The following is an overview of the events of 1898 in film, including a list of films released and notable births.
|Years in film|
- May 19 - Vitagraph is founded in New York.
- Birt Acres invents the first amateur format, Birtac, by splitting 35 mm film into two halves of 17.5 mm.
- August 27 - Alfred John West gives Royal Command Performance to Queen Victoria of film from the cruise of HMS Crescent at Osborne House.
Films released in 1898
- The Astronomer's Dream, directed by Georges Méliès
- The Ball Game
- Come Along, Do!, directed by Robert W. Paul. First multi-scene film in cinema [In this film 2 scenes are edited together for the first time in cinema.].
- Corbett and Sharkey Fight
- Dewar's It's Scotch, the first advertising movie, produced by the Edison Studios
- Don Juan Tenorio, the first Mexican film with a plot
- Eiffel Tower, directed by Louis Lumière. First (sort of) crane shot in cinema [It was taken from the ascending elevator in the Eiffel Tower.].
- The Four Troublesome Heads, directed by Georges Méliès
- The Humpty Dumpty Circus, directed by J. Stuart Blackton
- The Magician, directed by Georges Méliès
- The Miller and the Sweep, directed by George Albert Smith
- The Nearsighted School Teacher
- Pack Train On Chilkoot Pass, film shows landscape in Chilkoot Pass, Alaska or British Columbia
- Photographing a Ghost, directed by George Albert Smith
- Surrender of General Toral
- Smích a pláč (Laugh and Tears), directed by Josef Šváb-Malostranský, the first Czech film
- Santa Claus, directed by George Albert Smith. May include the first example of parallel action in a motion picture.
- January 22
- January 23 - Randolph Scott, American actor (died 1987)
- February 19 - Václav Wasserman, Czech actor, screenwriter and director (died 1967)
- March 11 - Dorothy Gish, American actress (died 1968)
- March 27 - Alma Tell, American actress (died 1934)
- April 9 - Paul Robeson, American singer and actor (died 1976)
- April 26 - John Grierson, Scottish documentary filmmaker (died 1972)
- May 16 - Kenji Mizoguchi, Japanese film director and screenwriter (died 1956)
- July 10 - Renée Björling, Swedish actress (died 1975)
- July 19 - Olle Hilding, Swedish actor (died 1983)
- July 23 - Bengt Djurberg, Swedish actor (died 1941)
- August 30 - Shirley Booth, American actress (died 1992)
- September 14 - Hal B. Wallis, American film producer (died 1986)
- September 23 - Jadwiga Smosarska, Polish actress (died 1971)
- October 3 - Leo McCarey, American director (died 1969)
- November 8 - Marie Prevost, Canadian-born American actress (died 1937)
- December 20 - Irene Dunne, American actress (died 1990)
- playlist on YouTube
- "Josef Šváb Malostranský". Československá filmová databáze (in Czech). POMO Media Group, s. r. o. Retrieved 2011-07-07.
- "Salvador Toscano Barragan - Mexico's first filmmaker". Retrieved 2008-07-16.