From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)
The following is an overview of the events of 1898 in film, including a list of films released and notable births.
- May 19 - Vitagraph is founded in New York.
- Birt Acres invents the first amateur format, Birtac, by splitting 35 mm film into two halves of 17.5 mm.
- August 27 - Alfred John West gives Royal Command Performance to Queen Victoria of film from the cruise of HMS Crescent at Osborne House
Films released in 1898
- The Astronomer's Dream, directed by Georges Méliès
- The Ball Game
- Come Along, Do!, directed by Robert W. Paul. First multi-scene film in cinema [In this film 2 scenes are edited together for the first time in cinema.].
- Corbett and Sharkey Fight
- Dewar's It's Scotch, the first advertising movie, produced by the Edison Studios
- Don Juan Tenorio, the first Mexican film with a plot
- Eiffel Tower, directed by Louis Lumière. First (sort of) crane shot in cinema [It was taken from the ascending elevator in the Eiffel Tower.].
- The Four Troublesome Heads, directed by Georges Méliès
- The Humpty Dumpty Circus, directed by J. Stuart Blackton
- The Magician, directed by Georges Méliès
- The Miller and the Sweep, directed by George Albert Smith
- The Nearsighted School Teacher
- Pack Train On Chilkoot Pass, film shows landscape in Chilkoot Pass, Alaska or British Columbia
- Photographing a Ghost, directed by George Albert Smith
- Surrender of General Toral
- Smích a pláč (Laugh and Tears), the first Czech film
- Santa Claus, directed by George Albert Smith. May include the first example of parallel action in a motion picture.
- January 22
- January 23 – Randolph Scott, American actor (died 1987)
- February 19 – Václav Wasserman, Czech actor, screenwriter and director (died 1967)
- March 11 – Dorothy Gish, American actress (died 1968)
- March 27 – Alma Tell, American actress (died 1934)
- April 9 – Paul Robeson, American singer and actor (died 1976)
- April 26 – John Grierson, Scottish documentary filmmaker (died 1972)
- May 16 – Kenji Mizoguchi, Japanese film director and screenwriter (died 1956)
- July 10 - Renée Björling, Swedish actress (died 1975)
- July 19 - Olle Hilding, Swedish actor (died 1983)
- July 23 - Bengt Djurberg, Swedish actor (died 1941)
- August 30 – Shirley Booth, American actress (died 1992)
- September 14 – Hal B. Wallis, American film producer (died 1986)
- September 23 – Jadwiga Smosarska, Polish actress (died 1971)
- October 3 – Leo McCarey, American director (died 1969)
- November 8 – Marie Prevost, Canadian-born American actress (died 1937)
- December 20 – Irene Dunne, American actress (died 1990)