|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
|Launched||May 22, 1997|
|Owned by||Sony Pictures Entertainment|
|Dish Network Mexico||Channel 213|
|Canal+ (Spain)||Channel 22|
|Sky Italia (Italy)||Channel 120|
|Cyfrowy Polsat (Poland)||Channel 35|
|Cyfra+ (Poland)||Channel 49|
|N (Poland)||Channel 30|
|Boom TV (Romania)||Channel|
|Digi TV (Romania, Hungary, Czech R, Slovakia)||Channel|
|Dolce (Romania)||Channel 157|
|Focus Sat (Romania)||Channel|
|Max TV (Romania)||Channel|
|UPC Direct (Hungary, Czech R, Slovakia)||Channel|
|DirecTV (Latin America)||Channel 216|
|SKY México (Mexico and Central America)||Channel 213; 1213 (HD)|
|ZON TVCabo (Portugal)||Channel 60|
|Meo Sat (Portugal)||Channel 61|
|TotalTV (Croatia)||Channel 14|
|TATA Sky (India)||Channel 205 (SD) Channel 206 (HD)|
|Bulsatcom (Bulgaria)||Channel 26|
|R (Spain)||Channel 22|
|ZON TVCabo (Portugal)||Channel 60|
|SBB (Serbia)||Channel 265|
|RCS&RDS (Romania)||Channel 18|
|VTR (Chile)||Channel 38|
|Cabovisão (Portugal)||Channel 30|
|UPC Romania||Channel 103 (digital with DVR)
Channel 93 (digital)
|SBB (Serbia)||Channel 265|
|NET (Brazil)||Channel 34|
|UPC Poland||Channel 475|
|UNE EPM Telecomunicaciones||Channel 54|
|Cablevisión (Argentina)||Channel 40|
|Telmex (Colombia)||Channel 47|
|CableOnda (Panama)||Channel 35|
|+Tv Digital (Panama)||Channel 401|
|Crnogorski Telekom (ExtraTV) (Montenegro)||Channel 34|
|StarHub TV (Singapore)||Channel 511|
|Vodafone Casa TV (Portugal)||Channel 60|
|Meo (Portugal)||Channel 61|
|Open IPTV (Serbia)||Channel 613|
|now TV (Hong Kong)||Channel 512|
|UNE EPM Telecomunicaciones (Colombia)||Channel 54|
|PTCL Smart TV (Pakistan)||Channel 72|
|Cable TV (Hong Kong)||Channel 22|
|MaxTV (Macedonia)||Channel 506|
|m:tel IPTV (Bosnia and Herzegovina)||Channel 302|
|Meo (Portugal)||Channel 61|
AXN (short for AXioN) is a pay television, cable and satellite television channel owned by Sony Pictures Entertainment, which was first launched on May 22, 1997. The network is now spread across several parts of the world, including Europe, Japan, other parts of Asia and Latin America. Funded through advertising and subscription fees, AXN delivers 24 hours a day of action TV series, movies, animations and adventure-reality and lifestyle sports programmes. In the United States, AXN was used as a brand name for the streaming of Sony's television library on streaming service Joost before it shut down in 2012.
There are various local versions of the channel, as listed below:
- AXN Adria - Available in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Slovenia.
- AXN Asia - Available in Brunei, Hong Kong, People's Republic of China, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Taiwan and Vietnam
- AXN Beyond - Available in Philippines, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, and Thailand, and soon in the rest of Asia. In October 11, 2012 this channel is now known as BeTV.
- AXN Black - Available in Portugal, Romania, Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- AXN Brazil - Available in Brazil.
- AXN White - Available in Spain, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Portugal, Romania and Slovakia. Formerly AXN Crime.
- AXN Europe - Available in Austria, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Moldova, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Spain and Switzerland.
- AXN India - Available in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives and Nepal.
- AXN Japan - Available in Japan as part of the SKY PerfecTV! platform
- AXN Korea - Available in South Korea
- AXN North, Central and South America - Available in Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, Argentina, Chile, Ecuador, Panama, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Uruguay and Dominican Republic.
- AXN Pakistan - Available in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Tajikistan and Iran.
- AXN Portugal - Available in Portugal
- AXN Sci Fi - Available in Italy
- AXN Israel - The channel was deleted on the 14th of January 2009.
- AXN Spin - Available in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Poland, Romania, Croatia, Macedonia, Serbia and Slovenia.
- AXN Mystery - Available in Japan as part of the SKY PerfecTV! platform
- AXN Movies - Available in Canada. It is an HD movie channel focusing on action and adventure themed movies.
Series and shows
The series and shows aired by AXN differ in each version of the channel since some series aired by AXN in one market may be in other channel's hands in another country. In some cases, U.S. shows that are broadcast by local networks will be broadcast with dubbed (Portuguese (Brazil), German, Bulgarian, Czech, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Slovak, Spanish, Japanese, English and Russian) or subtitled (Spanish (Latin America), Croatian, Macedonian, Portuguese, Romanian, Serbian, Slovenian, Malay, Bengali, Mandarin, Cantonese, Hindi, Indonesian, Mongol, Nepalese, Urdu, Sinhalese, Korean, Taiwanese, Thai, Khmer, Laotian, Vietnamese, Dzongkha, Ukrainian, Dhivehi and Kazakh) in the same market. There are some examples of series aired by AXN:
- Adria: Damages, Being Human, I Survived a Japanese Game Show, Psi Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal, The Practice, Moonlighting, Six Feet Under, Californication, NCIS, FlashForward, Largo Winch, Sanctuary, Life Unexpected, Sue Thomas: F.B.Eye, Stargate Atlantis, Canal Road, Starsky and Hutch, Charlie's Angels, Blood Ties, BeastMaster, Kidnapped, Water Rats, Primeval, Vier Frauen und ein Todesfall, Doctor Who, Teen Wolf (2011 TV series)
- Asia: Chuck, CSI, CSI: Miami, CSI: NY, Damages, House, Las Vegas, Lost, Nip/Tuck, Numb3rs, So You Think You Can Dance, SUPERMODELME, Supernatural, The Amazing Race (U.S. TV series), The Amazing Race Asia, The Shield, Wipeout, The Apprentice Asia, The Voice, Asia's Got Talent
- Brazil: Lost, CSI: Miami (moving in October to Canal Sony), CSI: NY, Raising The Bar, The Shield, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Las Vegas, The Dead Zone, Criminal Minds, Kidnapped, Alias, Hack, Kingdom Hospital, Damages, In Plain Sight, NCIS, Jericho, Dirty Sexy Money, FlashForward, Blood Ties, Castle.
- Central Europe: 18 Wheels of Justice, Alias, Andromeda, Battlestar Galactica, BeastMaster, Charlie Jade, Criminal Minds, CSI: NY, The Dead Zone, House, The District, The Guardian, Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, In Justice, Jericho, Lost, Michael Hayes, Mutant X, Reaper, ReGenesis, Rescue Me, Rude Awakening, Sheena, The Shield, Sliders, The Amazing Race, Star Trek: Enterprise
- Europe: Andromeda, ER, The Collector, Fastlane, F/X: The Series, Highlander, Homicide: Life on the Street, Kidnapped, MacGyver, Michael Hayes, Murder, She Wrote, Mutant X, New York Undercover, Nash Bridges, Odyssey 5, Police Rescue, Quantum Leap, Relic Hunter, Rush, Criminal Minds, Sliders, Third Watch, The Shield, Ghost Whisperer, Fear Itself, Lost, FlashForward, NCIS
- India/Pakistan: 24, Alias, Andromeda, CSI, CSI: Miami, CSI: NY, Damages, House, Las Vegas, Nip/Tuck, Numb3rs, Ripley's Believe It or Not!, Supernatural, The Shield, The Amazing Race, Fear Factor, Criss Angel Mindfreak, Wipeout, Ghost Adventures, Minute to Win It, Ghost Hunters, NCIS: Los Angeles, Most Daring, Caught on Camera, The Apprentice Asia, Teen Wolf (2011 TV series)
- Italy: Afterworld, Andromeda, Blood Ties, Breaking Bad, The Closer, The Collector, Damages, Fear Factor, .hack//Sign, Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, Kidnapped, Kung Fu, MacGyver, Man's Work, Michael Hayes, Mission: Impossible, Most Shocking, Murder, Mutant X, The Net, New York Undercover, Noein, Odyssey 5, The Outer Limits, Quantum Leap, Painkiller Jane, Planetes, Plunkett & Macleane, Rescue Me, Ripley's Believe It or Not!, Seven Days, Sleeper Cell, Sliders, Starsky & Hutch, Strong Medicine, The Shield, Third Watch, Ultimate Force, The Vision of Escaflowne, Wire in the Blood, World's Most Amazing Videos (also called "Video Danger")
- Japan: Pushing Daisies, Dirt, Samantha Who?, Afterworld, Veronica Mars, Alias, Andromeda, LAX, The Amazing Race, Andromeda, Brothers & Sisters, Charlie's Angels, Charmed, CSI, CSI: Miami, Dark Angel, The Dead Zone, The Fugitive (Original), The Greatest American Hero, Hart to Hart, Invasion, Lost, Miami Vice, Moonlighting, Mutant X, Nash Bridges, La Femme Nikita, Odyssey 5, The Outer Limits (1995), The Shield, Smallville, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, The Twilight Zone (Original), V.I.P.
- Latin America: Breaking Bad, Castle, Covert Affairs, Criminal Minds, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, CSI: Miami, CSI: NY, Las Vegas, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Lost, NCIS, Perception, The Dead Zone.
- Portugal: Insert Coin, Chuck, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, CSI: Miami, CSI: NY, ER, Hospital Central, Medium, NCIS, Without a Trace, Damages, Waking the Dead, In Plain Sight, Castle, No Ordinary Family, Leverage, Memphis Beat, Rush, Law and Order: UK, The Mentalist, Criminal Minds, Supernatural, Alarm für Cobra 11 – Die Autobahnpolizei, Notruf Hafenkante
- Spain: Hannibal, Almost Human, Castle, Perception, Unforgettable, Crossing Lines, The Fall, Resurrection, Luther, Insert Coin, FlashForward, Case Closed, Corrector Yui, Criminal Minds, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, CSI: Miami, CSI: NY, ER, Gossip Girl, Hospital Central, InuYasha, JAG, Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujo, Lupin III, NCIS, Notruf Hafenkante, Pacific Blue, Reaper, Resistiré, Stargate SG-1, The Law of Ueki, The West Wing, Without a Trace, The Cult, Die Cleveren, Bron
- Israel: Alias, Sliders, Smallville, MacGyver, Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, Xena: Warrior Princess, La Femme Nikita, The District, Eureka, The X-Files, The Shield, Kidnapped, Blade: The Series, Stargate SG-1, Ripley's Believe It or Not!, Bullrun, Fear Factor, Doctor Who, World's Wackiest Sports, Survivor, The Amazing Race, Who Wants to Be a Superhero?, Dark Angel, Walker, Texas Ranger, Totally Outrageous Behavior, World's Most Amazing Videos, Without a Trace, Armed & Famous, Renegade, Viper, Starsky and Hutch, SeaQuest DSV, The Sentinel, Supernatural, Punk'd, Farscape, Most Shocking, Flash Gordon, 7 Days, Homicide: Life on the Street, Moonlight, Pimp My Ride
2007 AXN India ban
In January 2007, AXN India was given a two-month ban by the Indian government for airing the programme 'World's Sexiest Commercials', the reason being the show was "against good taste or decency" and "likely to affect public morality". The ban was lifted two weeks early on February 28, 2007, after AXN submitted an apology.
On April 25, 2007, AXN and nine other cable and satellite channels were banned in Bangladesh by the interim government, which claimed that the channels' operations were contrary to the Cable TV Network Operation Act 2006. The ban on AXN and a number of other channels was lifted on May 27, 2007.
- AXN banned for 'indecent' programme. Retrieved on January 18, 2007.
- Ad show axe on AXN. Retrieved on January 18, 2007.
- Govt lifts ban on AXN. Retrieved on February 28, 2007
- "Govt makes U-turn to allow 38 foreign TV channels". The Daily Star.
- Official hub site, with links to the local versions
- AXN White hub site, with links to the local versions
- AXN Black hub site, with links to the local versions
- AXN Sci-Fi hub site, with links to the local versions (redirect to Italian site for now)
- AXN Spin hub site, with links to the local versions (redirect to Polish site for now)
- Sony Entertainment Television hub site, with links to the local versions
- SET Asia
- Sony Television Asia
Direct link to local AXN versions :
- AXN Austria / Germany / Switzerland
- AXN Bulgaria
- AXN Croatia
- AXN Czech Republic
- AXN Hungary
- AXN Italy
- AXN Macedonia
- AXN Poland
- AXN Portugal
- AXN Black
- AXN White
- AXN Romania
- AXN Serbia
- AXN Slovakia
- AXN Slovenia
- AXN Spain
- North America
- South America