Sony Movie Channel
|Sony Movie Channel|
|Launched||October 1, 2010|
|Owned by||Sony Pictures Television
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
0.02% (+1) (September 2015 , BARB)
|Slogan||Sony Movie Channel is All About Movies.|
|Broadcast area||United States
|Headquarters||Culver City, California, U.S.|
Cine Sony Television
More Than Movies
Chart Show Dance
Chart Show TV
True Movies 1
True Movies 2
|Dish Network (US)||Channel 386 (HD)|
|DirecTV (US)||Channel 568 (SD)
Channel 1568 (HD)
|Sky (UK and Ireland)||Channel 323 (SD)
Channel 324 (+1) (SD)
|Bell TV (Canada)||Channel 1273|
|Access Communications (Canada)||Channel 529|
|Cogeco (Canada)||Channel 873|
|EastLink (Canada)||Channel 688|
|Rogers Cable (Canada)||Channel 488|
|Shaw Cable (Canada)||Channel 290|
|Westman Communications (Canada)||Channel 466|
|AT&T Uverse (US)||Channel 1791 (HD)|
|Verizon FiOS (US)||Channel 735 (HD)|
|Bell Aliant (Canada)||Channel 596|
|Bell Fibe TV (Canada)||Channel 1318|
|MTS (Canada)||Channel 470|
|Optik TV (Canada)||Channel 699|
|SaskTel (Canada)||Channel 483|
Sony Movie Channel is an American television channel that was launched on October 1, 2010 . Owned by the Sony Pictures Television subsidiary of Sony Corporation, its programming consists entirely of films from the Sony Pictures Entertainment library (including content from Columbia Pictures, TriStar Pictures and Sony Pictures Classics among others), which are broadcast unedited, and remastered in 1080i high definition. It is the only television channel in the United States run by Sony Corporation that is wholly owned by the company.
Program blocks and theme weeks
Sony Movie Channel is available nationally on DirecTV and Dish Network, and regionally on AT&T U-Verse and Verizon FiOS. DirecTV and Dish Network also offer "Sony Movie Channel Everywhere", which allows viewers to watch its movies through its website for no additional cost. The channel is also available through streaming for owners of the Sony Network Media Player and on Redbox Instant By Verizon for paying subscribers.
On May 31, 2012, Hollywood Suite announced it would re-brand its high-definition channel Hollywood Festival as a Canadian version of Sony Movie Channel on September 4, 2012 as part of a new licensing arrangement with Sony Pictures.
United Kingdom and Ireland
The channel was made available outside of the US for the first time on Sky in the United Kingdom and Ireland on May 3, 2012 . While it is only available in standard-definition, it is accompanied by a one-hour timeshift channel. The channel also airs the Animax block every Monday night.
- Sony Television Plans to Launch Two New U.S. Channels, Los Angeles Times, July 5, 2010
- Sony Movie Channel Dresses Up for Halloween with KILLER MANDAYS Press Release September 26, 2011
- Sony Movie Channel Announces Weeklong Salute to Bollywood (Exclusive) The Hollywood Reporter September 8, 2011
- Sony Movie Channel Launches on DISH Network, DIRECTV and AT&T U-verse TV, Press Release, October 18, 2010
- Sony Movie Channel Goes Online Multichannel News October 5, 2011
- "Hollywood Suite brings Sony brands into its stable". Cartt.ca. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "Sony planning UK film channel". Broadband TV News. February 29, 2012.
- "Sony Movie Channel - Almost here!". Sony Entertainment Television UK. March 28, 2012.