Alexander Volkov (basketball)
Oleksandr Volkov in 2013
March 28, 1964 |
Omsk, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
|Listed height||6 ft 10 in (2.08 m)|
|Listed weight||218 lb (99 kg)|
|NBA draft||1986 / Round: 6 / Pick: 134th overall|
|Selected by the Atlanta Hawks|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Alexander Anatolevich "Sasha" Volkov (Russian: Александр Анатольевич Волков; born March 28, 1964) is a retired Soviet-Ukraine professional basketball player of Russian ethnicity. At 6'10" (2.08 m), he played the forward position and was born in Omsk, Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic, Soviet Union.
He played professionally for Stroitel (1981–1986; 1988–1989), CSKA Moscow (1986–1988), the Atlanta Hawks (1989–1992), Panasonic Reggio Calabria (1992–1993), Panathinaikos (1993–1994), Olympiacos (1994–1995), and Kyiv (2000–2002).
He was one of the founders of BC Kyiv. Volkov, who already retired from playing in 1995, returned for several appearances to help the newly found team in 2000. He has also served as the team's president.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
Volkov won a gold medal at the 1988 Summer Olympics as a member of the Soviet Union national basketball team. He also came out briefly from retirement to play for the Ukraine national basketball team in 1998.
Volkov was elected to the Ukrainian Parliament in 2006 on the party list of the Our Ukraine Bloc. But against the will of his faction, he joined the Anti-Crisis Coalition, which prompted early elections. In the early parliamentary elections in 2007 he was reelected to Parliament through the Party of Regions. Volkov was again elected through the Party of Regions to the Ukrainian Parliament in 2012. But left this party's faction in parliament on 17 April 2014. and joined the (then new) faction Economic Development one week later.
- "Volkov looks forward to All Star Day". FIBA Europe. March 9, 2004. Retrieved October 16, 2010.
- Taylor, Richard (December 3, 1998). "Basketball: England frozen out by Ukraine". The Independent. Independent Print Limited. Retrieved October 16, 2010.
- "Volkov Elected President Of Ukraine Federation". FIBA Europe. June 21, 2007. Retrieved October 16, 2010.
- (Russian) Волков Александр Анатольевич, file.liga.net
- (Ukrainian)Московский комсомолец:Рада як ніколи Moskovsky Komsomolets:Council as ever, Korrespondent.net (13 September 2012)