|Owner||Morrison Bowmore Distillers|
|Water source||Loch Katrine (Production) & Loch Cochno (Cooling) |
|No. of stills||1 wash still
1 middle still
1 spirit still
|Auchentoshan Single Malt|
|Cask type(s)||80% refill
20% First fill sherry wood
|ABV||40% – 43%|
|Cask type(s)||1st Fill Bourbon Cask|
|Cask type(s)||10 Years matured in American Bourbon with 1 year Oloroso finish and then 1 year Pedro Ximenez finish|
Auchentoshan distillery (// awkh-ən-TAW-shən) is a Single Malt whisky distillery in the west of Scotland. The name Auchentoshan is from Gaelic Achadh an t-Oisein (Scottish Gaelic pronunciation: [axəɣ ən̪ tɔʃɛɲ]) and translates as "the field of the corner". The distillery is also known as "Glasgow's Malt Whisky" due to its close proximity to Glasgow and "the breakfast whisky" due to its sweet and delicate nature. Auchentoshan is located at the foot of the Kilpatrick hills on the outskirts of Clydebank in West Dunbartonshire near the Erskine Bridge. It is one of six malt whisky distilleries in the Scottish Lowlands along with Bladnoch, Glenkinchie and recently Daftmill Distillery, Annandale Distillery and Ailsa Bay Distillery.
Auchentoshan was built in 1800. After its foundation, it changed hands multiple times, and was bought by Eadie Cairns in 1969, who rebuilt it completely. Cairns sold Auchentoshan to Morrison Bowmore distillers in 1984. Suntory invested in Morrison Bowmore in 1989. In 1994, they acquired 100% of its holdings. In May 2014, Beam Inc. and Suntory Holdings Limited merged to create Beam Suntory Inc, who are now the owners of Auchentoshan and other Morrison Bowmore holdings.
Unusual for a Scottish distillery, Auchentoshan practices triple distillation. Generally the final stage of Scotch whisky production involves distilling the fermented mash in two copper stills. In Auchentoshan, a third still (known as the "Intermediate Still") helps to give a final spirit strength of 81% ABV (162 proof). This triple distillation, in addition to an unpeated malt, gives Auchentoshan a more delicate and sweet flavour than many Scotch whiskies. Maturation is mainly in ex-bourbon barrels and ex-sherry butts, though some Auchentoshans will mature in French wine casks.
Special bottlings are released periodically, including the oldest, a 50-year-old Auchentoshan distilled in 1957 and released in 2008. The distillery has a visitor centre and conference facilities, both completed in 2005, and is open to the public for tours every day of the week.
Awards and reviews
Auchentoshan offerings have performed well at international spirit ratings competitions. Its 16- and 18-year scotches received double gold medals at the 2008 San Francisco World Spirits Competition. The Auchentoshan Three Wood expression won "the best Scotch Whisky and Cigar Combination" in the world when paired with the Bolivar Inmensas.
- "Auchentoshan History Timeline". Auchentoshan.co.uk. Archived from the original on 7 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-24.
- "Auchentoshan — Scotch Malt whisky distillery profile". MaltMadness.com. Archived from the original on 21 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-24.
- "Auchentoshan Single Malt Scotch Whisky". TheWhiskyExchange.com. Archived from the original on 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2008-12-24.
- "Auchentoshan profile". WhiskyClassifieds.com. Retrieved 2008-12-24.
- "The Whisky Barrel — Lowland Malts". TheWhiskyBarrel.com. Archived from the original on 8 January 2009. Retrieved 2008-12-24.
- Helen Arthur (2002) . The single malt companion (in Dutch). Lisbeth Machielsen (trans.). Libero. p. 62. ISBN 9057642360.
- Beam Suntory Inc. "News Release". www.suntory.com. www.beamsuntory.com. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
- "Auchentoshan Triple Distillation". Auchentoshan.co.uk. Archived from the original on May 26, 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-24.
- "Auchentoshan Triple Distillation". Auchentoshan.co.uk. Archived from the original on 4 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-24.
- "Auchentoshan 17 Year Old Bordeaux Wine Cask Finish". masterofmalt.com. Retrieved 2010-12-09.
- "Auchentoshan 1957/50 Year old/Sherry Cask". TheWhiskyExchange.com. Retrieved 2008-12-24.
- "Auchentoshan 16 Year Scotch Summary Page". proof66.com. Retrieved 2012-10-21.
- "Auchentoshan 18 Year Sherry Scotch Summary Page". proof66.com. Retrieved 2012-10-21.
- http://www.cellartrends.co.uk/spirittypeproduct.php?sgroupid=16&sproductid=55&spirittype=Whisky[permanent dead link]
- Auchentoshan official web site
- Morrison Bowmore Distillers, Limited (distillers of Auchentoshan and other Scotch whiskys)