Avila Convent is a school in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India. It is an ISO 9001:2008 certified instituition. The school is recognized by the Board of Matriculation schools under the Education Department of Tamil Nadu and trains students for the X & XII Board exams.
Avila Convent Mat. Hr. Sec School is run by the sisters of the congregation of Mother of Carmel (CMC). It is a large Congregation of sisters founded by the Blessed Chavara Kuriakose Elias, and has over 6000 sisters working all over India and abroad. The charism of this congregation is 'contemplation in action'.
The school in Coimbatore was started in 1967. Currently over 4000 children study in various classes of the school starting from kindergarten to XII grade. The medium of instruction is English, while Tamil is taught as a second language and Hindi as an optional language.
The school has various clubs like the Science club, Maths club, Liturgical club, Literary club, Eco club, Arts and Craft corner, etc. all of which provide a unique platform to showcase one's talents and potential. In addition to these, the school has a marching band whose appetite for triumph remains insatiable. A special mention goes to the Social Service committee of the school through which Avila Convent offers service to students in nearby Corporation Schools, both in training and basic needs of schooling. Various programs are conducted by all sections of the school on the 'Social Service Day' and the funds raised from these are used to provide study materials and uniforms to the poor students, financial assistance for marriages, higher studies, house construction, medical expenses for sick, and other necessities to the less fortunate people of the society.
Sister concerns in and around Tamil Nadu are,
- Vimal Jyothi Mat.Hr.Sec.School, Saravanampatti
- Little Flower Convent Mat.Hr.Sec.School, Tiruppur
- Infant Jesus Mat School, Thekkupalayam
- Lourde Matha Mat.Hr.Sec.School, Udumalpet
- Infant Jesus Society for Education and Training for Hearing impaired (Deaf & Dumb), Thekkupalayam.
- June 1967: Birth of Avila Convent School with 94 students, designed by the Provincial Superior Mary Patience.
- June 1968: The first block of the school building is completed and the same is inaugurated in December 1968
- April 1972: Recognition from the University of Madras for 9th standard.
- July 1978: Inauguration of the Higher Secondary classes by special officer of Coimbatore Municipality, Mr. Aadimoolam
- Oct 1978: Permanent recognition
- Oct 1991: Silver Jubilee Academic Year.
- June 1994: New Nursery Block inaugurated.
- June 1996: Sr.Patrick, the then principal was awarded 'State Best Teacher'.
- Nov 1996: Children’s Amusement Park inaugurated by Worship Mayor Gopala Krishnan
- Sept 1998: The Principal was conferred the title 'Vidya Ratna'. Velankanni statue installed near the gate. In 1998, Indhu was awarded State Rank in English under Mrs.Hemalatha's most encouraging guidance.
- Feb 2001: New Chapel blessed by Mar Jacob Manathodath, Bishop of Palakkad. In 2001 Sangeetha Ramani received stated second in Hindi in Higher Secondary examination.
- May 2003: The principal Rev.Sr.Patrick received 'Outstanding Teacher Award'. Rating conducted by Sun TV for academic excellence, Avila was placed first in the district of Coimbatore and Nilgiris and fifth place in the State of Tamil Nadu.
- May 2004: 'Commendation Award' and 'Visishta Seva Award' was received by the principal Rev.Sr.Patrick. Rating conducted by Sun TV for Academic excellence, Avila was placed first in the district of Coimbatore and Nilgiris and third in the State of Tamil Nadu.
- Feb 2005: Became ISO 9001 – 2000 accredited school
- Nov 2015 : Golden Jubilee Year Inaugurated, with Sr. Shalini as Principal.