Bayfront MRT station
Cross platform interchange of Bayfront station
|Location||11 Bayfront Avenue
|Operated by||SMRT Trains (SMRT Corporation) (Circle Line)
SBS Transit DTL (Downtown Line)
|Opened||14 January 2012
22 December 2013 (Downtown Line)
Bayfront station primarily serves the integrated resort of Marina Bay Sands. It is also currently the nearest MRT station to Gardens by the Bay, but this title will be taken by Gardens by the Bay MRT station when it opens in 2021.
This station is one of five MRT stations on the network that feature cross-platform interchange; the others are Jurong East MRT station, City Hall MRT station, Raffles Place MRT station and Tanah Merah MRT station.
During the early stages of the Circle Line when it was under planning, the Circle Line Extension was initially planned to terminate at Chinatown, which also parallels to the proposed Eastern Region Line.
Construction of Bayfront MRT station started in January 2007. The top-down method was used for the construction while the Marina Bay Sands project is ongoing since 12 March 2006. The tunnels broke through on 13 April 2010 before the opening of Circle Line. The Circle Line Extension was diverted to terminate at Marina Bay, and to close the loop by 2025. While the station name was taken from the Bayfront area, another name, Marina Bay Sands was considered. Bayfront was finalized on 10 January 2010 by the Land Transport Authority. On 14 January 2012, the Circle Line station platforms were opened. On 22 December 2013, the Downtown Line station platforms were opened.
Art in Transit
Titled as "When the Ships Comes In" by Lee Wen is a mural, composed of a collage, located on the underground linkway of the station. The collage of images of ships, drawn by young Singaporeans, brings a remembrance of the past of Port of Singapore and Singapore's future hopes.
- A: Bayfront Avenue
- B: Gardens by the Bay
- C and D: Marina Bay Sands
- E: Bayfront Avenue, Sands Expo and Convention Centre
Services and connections
At the platform level, there are several platforms for the Bayfront MRT station:
- Platform A, located at B2 is for trains heading towards Marina Bay (Circle Line)
- Platform B, located at B3 is for trains heading towards Bukit Panjang via Promenade (Downtown Line)
- Platform C, located at B3 is for trains heading towards Stadium via Promenade (Circle Line)
- Platform D, located at B2 is for trains heading towards Chinatown and Expo via Downtown (Downtown Line)
In addition, bus services 97, 106, 133, 502, 518 also stops at two of the key stops at Bayfront Avenue, which is next to Marina Bay Sands and Bayfront MRT station respectively.
- "Downtown Line 1: Art-In-Transit" (PDF). Land Transport Authority. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- SBS Transit's Bayfront MRT station official website
- SMRT's Bayfont MRT station official website
- Bayfront to Changi airport MRT station route
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bayfront MRT Station.|
|This Singapore MRT-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|