|Founded||October 4, 2011|
|Founder||Remainder company created from Fortune Brands|
|Headquarters||Deerfield, Illinois, United States|
|Matthew John Shattock (CEO & President), John Owen (CFO)|
|Revenue||US$ 2.46 billion (FY 2012)|
|$ 5.75 million (FY 2012)|
|$ 3.82 million (FY 2012)|
|Total assets||$ 8.64 billion (FY 2012)|
|Total equity||$4.61 million (FY 2012)|
Number of employees
Beam Suntory, Inc. is an American manufacturer of spirits headquartered in Deerfield, Illinois. It is a subsidiary of Suntory Beverage & Food Ltd, which itself is a subsidiary of Suntory Holdings of Osaka, Japan.
As a distinct entity, the company was established as Beam Inc. on October 3, 2011, from the remainder of the Fortune Brands holding company after it sold and divested various other product lines to form a business focused exclusively on spirits and directly related products.
On December 16, 2011, Beam Inc., agreed to buy the only independent Irish whiskey distiller that existed at the time, the Cooley Distillery, for $95 million. On April 23, 2012, Beam announced it would acquire the Pinnacle vodka and Calico Jack rum brands for $600 million.
On January 13, 2014, Suntory announced a deal to buy Beam Inc. for about $13.6 billion. The acquisition was completed on April 30, 2014, for a final cost of about $16 billion – when it was also announced that Beam would become a subsidiary named "Beam Suntory". Suntory Beverage & Food Ltd trades on the Tokyo Stock Exchange (2587). In March 2016, the company announced it would move its headquarters to the Merchandise Mart building on Chicago's Near North Side; Beam Suntory is subleasing 110,000 sq ft on the 16th floor of the Mart from Motorola Mobility.
The company's self-produced brands include the following:
- American whiskey:
- Scotch whisky:
- Irish whiskey:
- Canadian whisky
- Spanish whisky:
- Japanese whisky
The company sells its products to wholesale distributors, state governments, third party distributors, global or regional duty-free customers, other spirits producers, and joint ventures.
In addition to brands produced directly by the company and its subsidiaries, it imports and markets some brands produced by others, such as the DeKuyper cordial. Additionally, Beam facilities produce spirits for brands owned by other companies, such as Calvert Extra blended whiskey, now owned by Luxco.
The company also previously sold Harvey's Bristol Cream sherry, as well as the brandies Fundador, Terry Centenario, and Tres Cepas before selling these brands to Grupo Emperador Spain S.A., part of the Alliance Global Group.
- "Beam, Inc. (BEAM)-Key Statistics". Yahoo! Finance.[dead link]
- "Beam Inc. Begins Life as a Pure-Play Spirits Industry Leader". TheStreet.com. October 4, 2011. Retrieved March 1, 2016.
- (December 16, 2011). "Cooley Distillery Sold for $95M". Irish Examiner. Retrieved January 11, 2012.
- "Beam buys Pinnacle Vodka and Calico Jack rum from White Rock". USA Today. Associated Press. April 23, 2012. Retrieved November 24, 2012.
- Horovitz, Bruce (January 13, 2014). "Suntory buys spirits maker Beam for $13.6B". USA Today.
- Beam Suntory, Suntory press release, April 30, 2014.
- Pfanner, Eric (May 15, 2014). "Suntory Still has M&A Thirst". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved March 1, 2016. (Subscription required (. ))
- Frost, Peter (February 29, 2016). "Beam Suntory moving HQ to Merchandise Mart". Crain's Chicago Business.
- Beam Suntory opens Merchandise Mart headquarters Chicago Tribune December 5, 2016
- Cubs strike long-term sponsorship deal with Beam Suntory Chicago Tribune January 12, 2017
- Arceo-Dumlao, Tina (December 1, 2015). "Andrew Tan’s Emperador buys Spain’s Fundador". Philippine Daily Inquirer.