Bishop of Newcastle (England)
Bishop of Newcastle
Acting: Mark Wroe, Bishop of Berwick
|Residence||Bishop's House, Gosforth|
|First holder||Ernest Wilberforce|
The diocese presently covers the County of Northumberland and the Alston Moor area of Cumbria. The see is in the city of Newcastle upon Tyne where the seat is located at the Cathedral Church of Saint Nicholas, a parish church elevated to cathedral status in 1882. The bishop's residence is Bishop's House, Gosforth — not far north of Newcastle city centre.
The office has existed since the founding of the diocese in 1882 under Queen Victoria by division of the diocese of Durham. Christine Hardman retired as Bishop of Newcastle effective 30 November 2021, and Mark Wroe, Bishop suffragan of Berwick, became acting diocesan bishop.
List of bishops
|Bishops of Newcastle|
|1882||1896||Ernest Wilberforce||Translated to Chichester.|
|1896||1903||Edgar Jacob||Translated to St Albans.|
|1903||1907||Arthur Lloyd||Translated from Thetford.|
|1907||1915||Norman Straton||Translated from Sodor and Man.|
|1927||1941||Harold Bilbrough||Translated from Dover.|
|1941||1957||Noel Hudson||Previously Bishop of Labuan and Sarawak then assistant bishop of St Albans; translated to Ely.|
|1973||1980||Ronald Bowlby||Translated to Southwark.|
|1981||1997||Alec Graham||Translated from Bedford.|
|1997||2014||Martin Wharton||Translated from Kingston-upon-Thames.|
Assistant Bishop of Newcastle
|Acting bishop, as Assistant Bishop of Newcastle|
|2015||2021||Christine Hardman||Retired 30 November 2021.|
Bishop of Berwick
|Acting bishop, as Bishop of Berwick.|
Among those others who have served the diocese as assistant bishops have been:
- 1924 – 1933 (res.): Cecil Wood, Vicar of Jesmond and former Bishop of Melanesia
- Anthony Hunter resigned as assistant bishop effective 1 September 1980.
- "Christine Elizabeth Hardman". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- "Bishop Christine bids emotional farewell as Bishop of Newcastle". Diocese of Newcastle. Archived from the original on 21 November 2021. Retrieved 2021-12-01.
- Diocese of Newcastle — Confirmation of Election Service for the 12th Bishop of Newcastle Archived 2015-09-23 at the Wayback Machine (Accessed 23 September 2015)
- "Historical successions: Newcastle". Crockford's Clerical Directory. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1986). Handbook of British Chronology (Third ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 261. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- "Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Bishop Cecil Wood". Church Times (#3194). 11 April 1924. p. 441. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 15 February 2021 – via UK Press Online archives.
- "Clerical Obituary". Church Times (#4916). 3 May 1957. p. 15. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 15 February 2021 – via UK Press Online archives.
- "Newcastle's new Assistant Bishop". Church Times (#6117). 9 October 1980. p. 20. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 8 September 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.