|Native to||Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Cameroon|
bbx – Bubia (Wovea)
Bube, Bohobé, or Bube–Benga (Bobe, Bubi), is a Bantu or Bantoid language spoken by the Bubi, a Bantu people native to, and once the primary inhabitants of, Bioko Island, Equatorial Guinea. The language was brought to Bioko from continental Africa more than three thousand years ago when the Bubi began arriving on the island.
It has around 50,000 speakers, with three variants: North, South and Central-East. It is noted for tonal character and the divergence of words by gender. The language is also spoken by Bubi native to Gabon and Cameroon.
The Bube language is divided into six different dialects that vary in the northern and southern regions of Bioko island. For example, in the North, people speak Rebola and its variations: Basile, Banapa and Basupa. However, in the North-East, Bakake is spoken.
The first Bube-to-English primer was authored in 1875 by William Barleycorn, a colonial era Primitive Methodist missionary of Igbo and Fernandino descent, while he was serving in the Bubi village of Basupu. An official language dictionary and grammar guide was published by renowned ethnic Bubi scholar Justo Bolekia Boleká.
Other dialects of the Bube language
Number Northern Bube Northwestern Bube Southern Bube 1 buule buule muule 2 eppa eppa memba 3 betta betta metta 4 yeele yeele myeeme 5 betto betto metto 6 ra'a
metto na muule
7 ra'a la buule
ra'a la buule
metto na memba
8 yeele ketoppa
ra'a la eppa
metto na metta
9 yeele ketoppa la buule
baa buule ka yo
metto na myeene
10 yo yo myo
- Bube at Ethnologue (18th ed., 2015)
Bubia (Wovea) at Ethnologue (18th ed., 2015)
- Hammarström, Harald; Forkel, Robert; Haspelmath, Martin; Bank, Sebastian, eds. (2016). "Bube". Glottolog 2.7. Jena: Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History.
- Jouni Filip Maho, 2009. New Updated Guthrie List Online
- EquatorialGuinea.org; Retrieved 12/08/1998
- Harald Hammarström (2013) Review of the Ethnologue, 16th Ed.
- C. Junyent, Las lenguas del mundo, p. 66
- Biddulph, Joseph, Fernandian (1988) The Bubi Bantu language of Bioco/Fernando Po. Pontypridd, Wales: Languages Information Centre, WorldCat no. 17838738.
- Take a Bubi Course - in Spanish