|Network||Satellite & Cable |
|Affiliates||Xinhua News Agency|
|Picture format||4:3/16:9 576i (SDTV)|
|Owner||China Xinhua News Network Corporation, private investors|
|Launched||1 July 2010|
|Channel 69 (Analog) |
Channel 227 (Digital)
|Channel 227 (Digital)|
|Cignal Digital TV|
CNC World (simplified Chinese: 中国新华新闻电视网英语电视台; traditional Chinese: 中國新華新聞電視網英語電視台; pinyin: Zhōngguó Xīnhuá Xīnwén Diànshì Wǎng Yīngyǔ Diànshìtái) is a majority state-owned 24-hour global English-language news channel, launched on July 1, 2010. It is 51% owned by the state-run China Xinhua News Network Corporation, and 49% by private investors, including Chinese home appliances maker Gree.
The venture is part of Beijing's effort to "present an international vision with a Chinese perspective," Xinhua President Li Congjun said at the press conference announcing the launch of CNC World.
Xinhua has leased a newsroom in New York on top of a skyscraper in Times Square to provide CNC World with prominent exposure in the United States. On December 16, 2010, CNC World agreed a deal with Eutelsat for coverage on Eutelsat 28A, 36B and Hot Bird 13B from January 1, 2011. CNC World launched on the Sky satellite television platform in the United Kingdom and Ireland on July 21, 2011, from Eutelsat 28A.
In 2020, the United States Department of State designated Xinhua, along with other Chinese state media outlets, as foreign missions. By 2021, the network's terrestrial television affiliates in the United States had all disaffiliated with the network.
- "China's Xinhua launches global English TV channel". BBC News. 2010-07-01. Retrieved 2021-06-16.
- "China joins global media with network launch - Financial Times - 1 July 2010". Archived from the original on 2015-05-06.
- Peters, Jeremy W. (22 May 2011). "One View of the News World". Archived from the original on 2019-09-30. Retrieved 2020-05-25.
- Branigan, Tania (2010-07-01). "China funds English TV news channel CNC World in push for soft power". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Archived from the original on 2019-08-22. Retrieved 2019-08-22.
- "China launches global English TV". BBC News. 2010-07-01. Archived from the original on 2019-08-22. Retrieved 2019-08-22.
- "China is spending billions on its foreign-language media". The Economist. 2018-06-14. ISSN 0013-0613. Archived from the original on 2019-08-20. Retrieved 2019-08-22.
- "XINHUA'S CNC WORLD ENGLISH CHANNEL SELECTS THREE EUTELSAT SATELLITES FOR REACH ACROSS EUROPE, MIDDLE EAST AND AFRICA" (PDF). Eutelsat. 16 December 2010. Archived (PDF) from the original on 26 July 2011. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- Jakes, Lara; Myers, Steven Lee (2020-02-18). "U.S. Designates China's Official Media as Operatives of the Communist State". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Archived from the original on 2020-03-24. Retrieved 2020-08-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to CNC World.|