|Traded as||TSX: CF
|Daniel Daviau (Chief executive officer)|
|Services||investment banking, private banking, wealth management|
|Revenue||C$ 855 million (FY 2014)|
|C$ 51 million (FY 2014)|
|AUM||C$ 31.3 billion (FY 2014)|
|Total assets||C$ 5.01 billion (FY 2014)|
|Total equity||C$ 1.38 billion (FY 2014)|
Number of employees
Canaccord Genuity Group Inc. is a global, full-service investment banking and financial services company that specializes in wealth management and brokerage in capital markets. It is the largest independent investment dealer in Canada. The firm focuses on growth companies, with operations in 10 countries worldwide and the ability to list companies on 10 stock exchanges. Canaccord Genuity, the international capital markets division, is based in Canada, with offices in the US, the UK, France, Germany, Ireland, Hong Kong, China, Singapore, Australia and Barbados.
Canaccord Genuity provides mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, restructuring, debt advisory and strategic advice for corporate, government and private equity clients globally. The firm's practice covers a broad range of industries including: aerospace & defence, agriculture, clean technology & sustainability, consumer & retail, energy, financials, health care & life sciences, infrastructure, leisure, media & telecommunications, metals & mining, real estate & hospitality, technology, transportation & industrials, and private equity.
Landmark transactions have included advising Amaya Gaming Group in its $4.9 billion acquisition of PokerStars and Full Tilt Poker, advising Yamana Gold's $3.9 billion joint acquisition with Agnico Eagle of Osisko Mining, advising Primaris REIT's hostile defence and $5.0 billion sale to H&R REIT and KingSett Capital led consortium, advising Viterra's $6.1 billion sale to Glencore, and advising the $2.2 billion cross-border sale of Daylight Energy to Sinopec, a unit of China Petrochemical Corp. It has also advised on GLENTEL's $670 million sale to Bell Canada in 2014, and the sale of Canada Goose (clothing) to Bain Capital. In 2012, it advised on Extorre Gold Mines' $404 million sale to Yamana Gold.
In 2013, Canaccord Genuity team put together a consortium of major investors, including Schroders and Threadneedle Investments, in participating in a takeover bid proposal for 316 bank branches of the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS). Two buyout firms, Apollo Management and JC Flowers, also submitted a joint offer. In 2011, the firm advised the $3.2 billion sale of Converteam from Barclays Private Equity and LBO France to General Electric, growing the GE Power Conversion business. In the same year, Canaccord Genuity also advised the Bank of Ireland on the disposal of a c.£1.3bn UK commercial real-estate loan book to California-based Kennedy Wilson and institutional partners for a consideration of c.£1.07bn, over 80% of par value despite both the poor UK commercial real estate and lending market conditions at the time.
In 2006, Genuity Capital Markets co-advised Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) on its $5.4 billion acquisition of ATI Technologies. Genuity also advised General Electric (GE) on multiple acquisitions, including the $3.8 billion disposal of GE Advanced Materials to Apollo Global Management, $484 million buyout of 49.9% of GE Toshiba Silicones, $602 million buyout of 29.9% of GE Bayer Silicones, $435 million acquisition of Biacore AB, and $230 million acquisition of Radstone.
Global Capital Markets
- Investment Banking - M&A, Corporate Finance, Restructuring, Debt Advisory, Strategic Advice
- Sales and Trading
- Fixed Income
- $31.3 billion in assets under management in Canada, the UK & Europe, and Australia.
- Canaccord Genuity Wealth Management and Credit Suisse Asset Management Partnership: In April 2016, Canaccord Genuity Wealth Management announced a strategic partnership with Credit Suisse Asset Management (CSAM). The partnership will provide Canaccord’s high-net-worth investors with portfolio management tools and exclusive access to a new suite of high-net-worth products.
Some of Genuity's former partners and current executives include:
- David J. Kassie (former Chairman and CEO of CIBC World Markets and founder of Genuity Capital Markets)
- Daniel Daviau (former Head of Investment Banking at CIBC World Markets and founding member of Genuity Capital Markets)
- Calin Rovinescu (current CEO of Air Canada and founding partner of Genuity Capital Markets)
- Alexis de Rosnay (former co-head of UK Investment Banking and Vice Chairman of Lazard)
The company was established in 1950 as Hemsworth, Turton & Co., a Western Canadian venture capital firm.
In 2006 Canaccord Capital purchased Adams, Harkness & Hill Financial Group Inc., a Boston-based investment dealer. The firm renamed this US division Canaccord Adams.
In 2009 Canaccord Capital was renamed Canaccord Financial.
In 2010, Canaccord Financial acquired Genuity Capital Markets in a cash and share deal worth about $286 million. Genuity Capital Markets, founded in 2005, had 135 employees with offices in Canada and the U.S. and was a leader in independent advisory and restructuring in Canada.
On October 1, 2013, Canaccord Financial was renamed Canaccord Genuity.
Canaccord Genuity acquired Collins Stewart Hawkpoint in 2011.
In 2012 Canaccord Genuity acquired Eden Financial, a London-based wealth management business.
- "Stock Market Quotes | Company Financials, Financial Information". Web.tmxmoney.com. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "An interview with Canaccord Financial CEO Paul Reynolds - CEO.CA". Ceo.ca. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "About Canaccord Genuity". Canaccordgenuitygroup.com. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "Bivinteractive". Bivinteractive.com. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "Canaccord Genuity Inc.: Private Company Information - Businessweek". Businessweek.com. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "About Canaccord". Canaccord Genuity Group Inc. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Canaccord Genuity - Our Services". canaccordgenuity.com.
- "Amaya Inc. - Amaya Completes Acquisition of Pokerstars and Full Tilt Poker". Newswire.ca. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "Osisko agrees to friendly takeover from miners Yamana and Agnico". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "KingSett Capital - Primaris REIT with H&R REIT and KingSett Capital Led Consortium Announces Amended Transaction Offering Superior Value to Primaris Unitholders". Newswire.ca. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- Drew Hasselback (31 January 2013). "Glencore's $6.1-billion purchase of Viterra was a classic - Financial Post". Financial Post. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "Sinopec to buy Canada's Daylight Energy for $2.2-billion". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "Bell to acquire its mobile phone distributor GLENTEL". MarketWatch.com. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "Canada Goose - Canada Goose signs investment deal with Bain Capital To accelerate global growth". Newswire.ca. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "Yamana Gold to Buy Extorre for $404 Million to Add Mine". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2015-05-06.
- "Exclusive: City Plots Move For RBS Branches". Sky News. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "General Electric Agrees to Buy Converteam for $3.2 Billion". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "Canaccord Genuity - Bank of Ireland". Canaccordgenuity.com. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "AMD in US$5.4 billion acquisition of ATI Technologies Experience Fasken Martineau mobile". Fasken.com. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- Padraic Cassidy. "Apollo pays $3.8B for control of GE materials unit". MarketWatch.
- "News Article". Ddn-news.com. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "GE Fanuc Embedded Systems Completes Acquisition of Radstone Technology PLC". GE Automation. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "Canaccord Genuity - Our Transactions". Canaccordgenuity.com. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "Yellow Media Inc. Announces Recapitalization Transaction" (PDF). Corporate.yp.ca. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "Canaccord Genuity - Canaccord Genuity". Canaccordgenuity.com. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "Canaccord Genuity Group Inc. reports third quarter fiscal 2015 results". Stockhouse.com. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- "Canaccord Genuity Wealth Management (Canada) and Credit Suisse Asset Management announce an exclusive strategic partnership". Retrieved April 4, 2016.
- "Acquisitive Canaccord on prowl for new brokers". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- "Our Company History". Canaccord Genuity. Retrieved September 15, 2014.
- "Canaccord Financial to buy Genuity for $286 mln". Nationalpost.com. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "Collins Stewart takeover points way to the future for broking". Telegraph.co.uk. 15 December 2011.
- "Vault Banking 50". Vault.com. Retrieved 2015-09-25.