|Launched||30 September 1980|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)
|Audience share||16.7% (December 2016, )|
|Formerly called||TeleMilano 58 (1978–1980)|
|Sister channel(s)||Rete 4
|Digital||Channel 5 (SD)
Channel 505 (HD)
|Hot Bird 13C
|11919 V / 29900 / 5/6 (SD / encrypted)|
|Channel 5 (SD)|
|MC Cable||Channel 205|
Channel 205 (digital CH-D)
Canale 5 [kaˈnaːle ˈtʃiŋkwe] (in English Channel Five) is an Italian private television network of Mediaset. Canale 5 was the first private television network to have a national coverage in Italy in 1980.
Canale 5 is the most watched channel in Italy because Canale 5 is a classic generalist channel, which means that it is aimed at the mass family audience. The distinguishing characteristics of the channel are programmes based on completeness and variety, able to reach, through all kinds of programmes, from entertainment to drama and news.
The logo of Canale 5 was originally formed by the number five beside a long biscione (a snake, the ancient symbol of Milan) spitting a flower. In the 1980s the reptile was replaced by a bigger number leaving only a stylized head on the top with the flower.
On 4 December 2012, Mediaset launched Canale 5 HD, a simulcast of Canale 5 in high-definition. Since January 2013, Canale 5 has been directed by Giancarlo Scheri.
- 1 History
- 2 Programming
- 3 Digital terrestrial, 16: 9 and high definition
- 4 Logos
- 5 Channel Managers 5
- 6 Announcers
- 7 Listen
- 8 References
- 9 Bibliography
- 10 Publications
- 11 Related items
- 12 External links
In 1978, Telemilano, a local Milan-based broadcaster became Canale 5 two years later and began broadcasting nationally. Canale 5 was subsequently joined by Italia 1 (in 1982) and Retequattro (in 1984).
TV Series and Miniseries
- I Robinson
- Otto sotto un tetto (then passed on Italia 1)
- Picket Fences
- Settimo cielo (then passed on Italia 1)
- Tre nipoti e un maggiordomo
- La Tata (then passed on Italia 1)
- Tutti amano Raymond
- Twin Peaks
- Ultime dal cielo
- Un detective in corsia
- X Files just the first season (then passed on Italia 1)
- Casa Vianello
- Casa dolce casa
- Cascina Vianello
- Fantaghirò 2
- Fantaghirò 3
- Fantaghirò 4
- Fantaghirò 5
- Desideria e l'anello del drago
- Sorellina e il principe del sogno
- La principessa e il povero
- Quei due sopra il varano
- Nonno Felice
- Norma e Felice
- Io e la mamma
- Il ricatto
- Due per tre
- Finalmente soli
- Amico mio 2
- Caro maestro
- Ciao professore
- Il coraggio di Anna
- Leo & Beo
- Piazza di Spagna
- Papà prende moglie
- Mai con i quadri
- Walker Texas Ranger
- Giudice Amy (then passed on Rete 4)
- Hope & Faith
- I Soprano
- Squadra Med - Il coraggio delle donne
- In tribunale con Lynn
- The Guardian
- Una mamma per amica (then passed on Italia 1)
- Un detective in corsia (then passed on Rete 4)
- Dr. House - Medical Division (previously aired and then back on Italia 1)
- Casa Vianello (then passed on Rete 4)
- Belli dentro
- Finalmente soli
- Don Luca
- Il mammo
- Il supermercato
- Finché c'è ditta c'è speranza
- Anna e i cinque
- Caterina e le sue figlie (first two series)
- I Cesaroni
- Crociera Vianello
- Un ciclone in famiglia
- L'onore e il rispetto
- L'onore e il rispetto – parte seconda
- La casa delle beffe
- Distretto di Polizia
- R.I.S. - Delitti imperfetti
- Ultimo - L'infiltrato
- 48 ore
- Benedetti dal Signore
- Codice Rosso
- Cuore contro cuore
- E poi c'è Filippo
- Elisa di Rivombrosa
- Elisa di Rivombrosa - parte seconda
- Callas e Onassis
- Ho sposato un calciatore
- Intelligence - Servizi & segreti
- Il bello delle donne
- Il capo dei capi
- Il commissario
- Il giudice Mastrangelo
- La figlia di Elisa - Ritorno a Rivombrosa
- Le ali della vita
- Le stagioni del cuore
- I liceali
- L'ultimo padrino
- Ma il portiere non-c'è mai?
- Padri e figli
- Paolo Borsellino
- Ricomincio da me
- Rivoglio i miei figli
- Sei forte maestro
- Squadra antimafia - Palermo oggi
- Valeria medico legale
- Angeli e diamanti
- Anna e i cinque
- Caterina e le sue figlie
- Caldo criminale
- I Cesaroni
- I delitti del cuoco
- Distretto di Polizia
- Due imbroglioni e... mezzo!
- Due mamme di troppo
- Fratelli Benvenuti (then passed on Rete 4)
- Fratelli detective
- Un paradiso per due
- Non smettere di sognare
- L'onore e il rispetto
- Le due facce dell'amore
- Le mani dentro la città
- I liceali
- Il peccato e la vergogna
- Il mostro di Firenze
- R.I.S. Roma - Delitti imperfetti
- Squadra antimafia - Palermo oggi
- Tutti per Bruno
- Sangue caldo
- Il commissario Zagaria
- Dov'è mia figlia?
- Un amore e una vendetta
- Viso d'angelo
- Baciati dall'amore
- Il delitto di Via Poma
- I cerchi nell'acqua
- Il tredicesimo apostolo - Il prescelto
- Sei passi nel giallo (cycle of 6 tv movies)
- Area Paradiso
- Benvenuti a tavola - Nord vs Sud
- L'una e l'altra
- Senza identità (2014–2015)
- Il sospetto (2015–2016)
- Il clan dei camorristi
- Baciamo le mani
- Non è stato mio figlio (2016)
- Matrimoni e altre follie (2016)
- Tutti insieme all'improvviso (2016)
- Fuoco amico TF45 - Eroe per amore (2016)
- Romanzo siciliano (2016)
- Squadra antimafia (2009–2016)
- Il bello delle donne... alcuni anni dopo (2017)
- Amore pensaci tu (2017)
- L'onore e il rispetto (2006–2017)
- Le tre rose di Eva (2012-in progress)
- Furore - Il vento della speranza (2014-in progress)
- Solo per amore (2015-in progress)
- Squadra mobile (2015-in progress)
- Rimbocchiamoci le maniche (2016-in progress)
- Solo (2016-in progress)
Soap opera and telenovelas
- Sentieri (then passed on Rete 4)
- Aspettando il domani (previously aired on Italia 1, then passed on Rete 4)
- General Hospital (previously aired on su Italia 1, then passed on Rete 4)
- Una vita da vivere (then passed on Rete 4)
- La valle dei pini (then passed on Rete 4)
- Così gira il mondo (then passed on Rete 4)
- Ritorno a Eden
- Beautiful (previously aired on Rai 2, in 1994 a few bets were also broadcast by Rete 4 in the early evening)
- Camilla, parlami d'amore subsequently reinstated Senza fine
- Amarsi previously called Febbre d'amore (previously aired and then back on Network 4 with the original Italian title)
- Centovetrine (in 2015 she temporarily moved to Rete 4, then returned to Canale 5 for the latest episodes)
- Il segreto
- Cuore ribelle (then passed on Rete 4)
- Una vita
- Cherry Season - La stagione del cuore
Cartoons and anime
- Bim Bum Bam from 1991 to 1997 (previously aired and then back to Italy 1). A children's and children's box broadcast in the afternoon, featuring various cartoons (American and Japanese) and also a show for teenagers (such as the Power Rangers and Super Human Samurai phenomenon).
- A tutto Disney aired in 1993 on Saturday afternoon in place of Bim Bum Bam, broadcast Disney's classic cartoons infiltrated by headlines and games with Irene Ferri and Riccardo Rossi. The broadcast was little appreciated and was soon deleted and replaced by Bim Bum Bam who went on airing again on Saturday.
Some animated cartoons transmitted:
- Avventure di Topolino, Le (1990)
- I Simpson (season 1 – 7) (1991–1996)
- Gemelli nel segno del destino (1992)
- Batman (1993–1994)
- Sailor Moon (stag. 1 – 2) (1995–1996)
- Holly e Benji (1995)
- Papà Gambalunga (1992)
- Robin Hood (1992)
- Alvin rock 'n' roll (1992)
- Rascal, il mio amico orsetto (1992)
- Willy il Coyote e Bip Bip (1993–1994)
- Le avventure di Teddy Ruxpin (1992)
- Super Human Samurai (1995)
- Power Rangers (1994)
- Gli orsetti del cuore (1994)
- Tutti in scena con Melody (1992)
- Albertone (1996)
- Foofur superstar (1995)
- La caccia al tesoro di Yoghi (1999)
- T-Rex (1994–1995)
- Widget, un alieno per amico (1993; 1996)
- James Bond Junior (1992)
- Mighty Max (1995)
- Batman, cavaliere della notte (1998)
- L'ispettore Gadget (1993–1994)
- Bentornato Topo Gigio (1992; 1996–1997)
- The Real Ghostbusters (1995–1996)
- Tiny Toons/I favolosi Tiny (1991)
- I Puffi (1982; 1992–1995)
- The Mask (1996–1997)
- Scuola di polizia (1991; 1992; 1996–1997)
- David Gnomo amico mio (1995)
- La fabbrica dei mostri (1996)
- Chi la fa l'aspetti (1996–1997)
- Robinson Bignè (1999)
- Grande piccolo Magoo (1999)
- Ace Ventura (1999)
- Tartarughe Ninja alla riscossa (1992)
- Brividi e polvere con Pelleossa (1995)
- Beethoven (1995; 2000)
- Le nuove avventure di Lupin III (1987; 1994)
- Lupin, l'incorreggibile Lupin (1987; 1994)
- Occhi di gatto (1992)
- Ecco Pippo (1993–1994; 1996)
- Bonkers, gatto combinaguai (1993–1994; 1996)
- "Big Bag" (1999-2000)
- La sirenetta - Le nuove avventure marine di Ariel (1993–1994)
- I classici Disney (1993–1994)
- Principe Valiant (1994)
- Michel Vaillant: tute, caschi e velocità (1992)
- Insuperabili X-Men (1994)
- Conan (1994)
- Cantiamo insieme (1994)
- Nadia - Il mistero della pietra azzurra (1991)
- L'incantevole Creamy (1995)
- Lady Oscar (1995–1996)
- Belle e Sébastien (1996)
- L'isola della piccola Flo (1996)
- C'era una volta... Pollon (1996)
- Calimero (1996–1997)
- Yoghi, salsa e merende (2000)
- I figli dei Flintstones (2000)
- I Flintstones (1998–2000)
- I Pronipoti (2000)
- La pantera rosa (2001–2002)
- Qua la zampa Doggie (2000)
- Che papà Braccio di Ferro (2000)
- Siamo quelli di Beverly Hills (1996)
- Ritorno al futuro (1993)
- Ti voglio bene Denver (1994)
- Siamo fatti così (1994)
- Toonsylvania (1998)
- DuckTales - Avventure di paperi (1996)
- Cip & Ciop agenti speciali (1996)
- Darkwing Duck (1996)
- TaleSpin (1996)
- Sport Billy (1982)
- Re Artù, King Arthur (1998)
- Candy Candy (1982; 1994; 1997)
- Mimì e la nazionale di pallavolo (1995)
- Piccole donne (1982)
- Bambino Pinocchio (1982)
- Bryger (1982)
- La regina dei mille anni (1982)
- Grande Mazinga (1979)
- Mon Cicci (1985)
- Il gatto con gli stivali (1993)
- Don Chuck Castoro (1982)
- Tazmania (1993–1994; 1996)
- Exosquad (1996)
- Conte Dacula (1992)
- Wacky Races (1982)
- Dolceluna (1992; 1997)
- Allacciate le cinture viaggiando s'impara (1996)
- Magica magica Emi (1996)
- Il grande sogno di Maya (1996)
- Hilary (1996)
- Gatchaman (1982)
- Le voci della savana (1994)
- Diventeremo famose (1992)
- Georgie (1992; 1996)
- The Monkey (1987)
- Lisa e Seya un solo cuore per lo stesso segreto (1997)
- Ape Maia (1982)
- È un po' magia per Terry e Maggie (1996)
- Olimpiadi della risata (4 episodi in serata speciale, 1996)
- Pippo e Menelao (1996)
- Un fiocco per sognare, un fiocco per cambiare (1996)
- Carletto il principe dei mostri - La spada del demone (1996)
- Cristoforo Colombo (1992)
- Hello Spank (1992)
- D'Artacan e i tre moschettieri (1992)
- Niente paura, c'è Alfred! (1989)
- Alla scoperta di Babbo Natale (1986)
- Snorky (1989)
Most of these cartoons were dubbed by Cristina D'Avena; Other singers of the cartoon characters of the nineties broadcast on Channel 5 were Marco Destro and, rarely, Enzo Draghi.
Digital terrestrial, 16: 9 and high definition
Since 2003, the channel is also free of charge in digital terrestrial areas in areas covered by Mediaset 2 and Mediaset 4 mux, and from 26 November 2010 also in the areas covered by the Mediaset 6 mux through the deferred version of one hour Channel5 +1, Transferred from 11 July 2011 on mux Mediaset 5.
It was also available until 11 July 2011 in high definition (though forced) Channel 5 HD in regions where transition to digital terrestrial switch-off occurred and reached by mux Mediaset 6. From the end of July the high definition channel Has been re-activated on mux Mediaset 6 and is only visible in Sardinia.
On 12 May 2009, with the movie Remembered for Me, for the first time, Channel 5 broadcast at 16:9; Transmissions and new format are made exclusively via the digital terrestrial signal. From 1 November of the same year, the advertising space, promo and bumper of the Mediaset networks are also broadcast.
On analogue television (with a definitive broadcast date on 4 July 2012) and on satellite signal (until 18 July 2012), the events were transmitted in 4: 3 format with letterbox format. Furthermore, the original language of the digital terrestrial audio track was not and still is not possible.
Since 1 October 2009, in the satellite broadcast, Channel 5's entire programming has been coded in Mediaguard 2 (a system used previously for service by Mediaset networks to encrypt foreign broadcasts) and Nagravision: Full use of the issuer is only possible using a Tivùsat smart card.
Mediaset always has Hotbird 13 ° E of service frequencies to power terrestrial DTT / DVB-H repeaters (transmitted in a professional mode with dedicated equipment, so it can not be tuned by the end user) only sporadically in case of testing you can receive from of the standard DVB-S2 decoders. In these frequencies there are all Mediaset channels present on digital terrestrial, but still encrypted on satellite.
To continue providing service to non-card users, a second satellite frequency has been activated from the same date (the channel identifier is capitalized) on which you can continue to receive the signal clear: Which do not hold foreigners' rights, however, are obscured by an information notice where users are invited to have a Tivùsat decoder.
On 19 September 2012, Channel 5 proposed the first Champions League match in HD on 506 of terrestrial television channel on Mediaset HD, which temporarily replaced the high definition version of Italy 1.
On 5 December 2012 Channel 5 HD was activated on mux La3 visible throughout Italy with the exception of northwestern Tuscany, where Monte Serra transmitting center has switched off the multiplex for interference
Canale 5 Plus
Canale 5 Plus is Canale 5's interactive television service on Digital Terrestrial Television. The service provides access to interactive news, weather forecasts, program guides and games in Mhp standard.
In 2006 on Cnale 5 Plus, during the summer there was an application that allowed the view of old successful Mediaset flagship programs such as Odiens, La sai l'ultima? and Il pranzo è servito.
Services currently broadcast
- An interactive version of the analog Mediavideo with the latest, news news, world news, economy, sports, a section dedicated to gossip and a horoscope.
- Interactive application with a detailed meteorological map of Italy for the next three days and detailed forecasts for the next 24 hours.
- Tonight on TV
- Application where you can talk with the public administration via digital terrestrial.
- Interactive Advertising
Applications available with Internet
Applications are only available by connecting the digital terrestrial decoder or television to the internet and being a device with DGTVi sticker Gold.
- Games portal
- Application with 4 games such as 6 Signs, Color Block, Finder and Trappole Invisibili.
- nteractive version of TGCom with up-to-date news.
- Up-to-date sports news.
Applications previously aired
Among the previously aired applications are:
- It was an interactive application with the plot, cast and curiosity on the movie being aired on Channel 5, until 2009. With certain movies, there was a choice of the original audio of the movie.
- Fiction Portal
- Interactive application with plot, cast and curiosity on Channel 5 fiction.
- Soap Portal
- Application with plot, cast and curiosity on Canal 5 soap opera.
- Interactive TG5
- Interactive application with a screen divided into 4 windows where you could choose whether to display all the Tg5 or 3 of the most important news services. It was broadcast from 13.30 to 20.30 for about 2 hours until 2009.
The current logo of the network is a 5 overlapped by the stylized head of Biscione (reference to the Visconti family and the city of Milan), from whose mouth, unlike the original, comes out a flower. There is also a second interpretation, according to which the queue of the Biscione is placed at five (even if the 5 is written with a typographical font).
The first promotional slogan of Channel 5 was: Corri a casa in tutta fretta, c'è un Biscione che ti aspetta. The biscione logo is in use (albeit through various graphic restyling) ever since 1974 since the network was called Tele Milano. It is still today in the main brand of the Mediaset company and its ramifications.
Channel Managers 5
|Giorgio Gori||10 June 1991 – 11 May 1997|
|Gianpaolo Sodano||12 May 1997 – 28 October 1997|
|Maurizio Costanzo||29 October 1997 – 3 November 1999|
|Giorgio Gori||4 November 1999 – 29 April 2001|
|Giovanni Modina||30 April 2001 – 15 October 2006|
|Massimo Donelli||16 October 2006 – 31 December 2012|
|Giancarlo Scheri||since 1 January 2013|
In the past, Channel 5 had her mistress good evening.
The first announcer of the network was Eleonora Brigliadori, active from September 1980 to May 1984.
After that, Fiorella Pierobon, who was the longest advertiser of the network, was active for 19 years, from May 1984 to June 2003 (previously Pierobon was Italy's announcer 1).
In June 2003, Pierobon, reporting directly to Striscia la notizia, announced that he would have abandoned his role as Miss Goodnight to engage in other projects and was replaced (after a long selection in the 2003 Velone Summer Program) by Lisa Gritti, Which was active for only a year and a little longer, from September 2003 to December 2005, as it was abandoned after a scandal broke out, stripped of the Striscia la notizia, where the announcer was also involved.
After the resignation of the Gritti, the network decided to forgo this figure (as was the case with Italy 1 in 2002, after the abandonment of Gabriella Golia).
Other announcers of Channel 5 (for short periods) were: Fabrizia Carminati, Alba Parietti, Paola Perego, Susanna Messaggio, Michela Rocco of Torrepadula and Daniela Castelli. Among the announcers of Channel 5 can also be Barbara d'Urso, who at the end of the seventies was Miss Telemilano 58, tonight, the local television broadcaster later transformed into Channel 5.
The background music of the ads used from 1980 to 1993 was composed by Augusto Martelli, while the one used from 1993 to 2005 was composed by Alessandro Radici. The first background was never officially released by RTI, while the second, whose full version lasted 1 minute and 33 seconds, was released for digital download from the now-existing Mediaset, MusicShop.
Below, average monthly listening data in the total day received by the issuer.
*Average Monthly Day on Target Individuals 4+
- Baroni, Joseph (2005). Dizionario della televisione. Raffaello Cortina Editore. ISBN 88-7078-972-1.
- Grasso, Aldo (2008). Enciclopedia della televisione (3ªed. ed.). Garzanti Editore. ISBN 978-88-11-50526-6.
- Dotto, Giancarlo (2006). Il mucchio selvaggio. Mondadori. ISBN 978-88-04-53952-0.