Chapra, Saran (Vidhan Sabha constituency)
Vidhan Sabha constituency
|Lok Sabha constituency||20. Saran|
|Electoral system||First past the post|
Chapra (Vidhan Sabha constituency) (Hindi: छपरा विधान सभा निर्वाचन क्षेत्र) (pronounced Chhapra) is an assembly constituency in Saran district in the Indian state of Bihar. In 2015 Bihar Legislative Assembly election, Chapra was one of the 36 seats to have VVPAT enabled electronic voting machines.
As per Delimitation of Parliamentary and Assembly constituencies Order, 2008, No. 118 Chapra (Vidhan Sabha constituency) is composed of the following: Chhapra municipality and Naini, Fakuli, Karinga, Sadha, Mouna, Tenua and Barhara Mahaji gram panchayats of Chapra community development block; Rivilganj CD Block.
Chapra (Vidhan Sabha constituency) is part of No. 20 Saran (Lok Sabha constituency). It was earlier part of Chapra (Lok Sabha constituency). Chhapra assembly seat had a unique distinction of electing either a Rajput or Yadav since 1965 till 2014 belonging to various parties. Randhir Kumar Singh(RJD) won the by-poll from Chhapra in 2014. First time, a non-Yadav non-Rajput Dr. C.N. Gupta (BJP) won from assembly seat in 2015 Bihar Legislative Assembly election.
In the 2010 state assembly elections, Janardan Singh Sigriwal of BJP won the Chapra assembly seat defeating his nearest rival Pramendra Ranjan Singh of RJD. Contests in most years were multi cornered but only winners and runners are being mentioned. Ram Pravesh Rai of JD(U) defeated Udit Rai of RJD in October 2005 and February 2005. Udit Rai of RJD defeated Rambabu Ray of BJP in 2000. Udit Ray of JD defeated Janak Yadav of Congress in 1995. Udit Rai, contesting as an Independent, defeated Janak Yadav representing JD in 1990. Janak Yadav, Independent, defeated Mithilesh Kumar Singh representing Congress in 1985. Janak Yadav of Janata Party (Secular – Charan Singh) defeated Mithilesh Kumar Singh representing Janata Party (JP) in 1980. Mithilesh Kumar Singh of JP defeated Janak Yadav, Independent, in 1977.
- "EC move to allay fears about errors in EVMs".
- "General Election to the State Legislative Assembly of Bihar, 2015- Use of EVMs with Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail System(VVPAT)-reg" (PDF).
- "Schedule – XIII of Constituencies Order, 2008 of Delimitation of Parliamentary and Assembly constituencies Order, 2008 of the Election Commission of India" (PDF). Schedule VI Bihar, Part A – Assembly constituencies, Part B – Parliamentary constituencies. Retrieved 2011-01-10.
- "RSS activist joins fray against BJP in Chhapra".
- The RJD's Randhir Singh took advantage of the split and won the seat.
- Chhapra seat 2015
- "Bihar - Chapra". Bihar Assembly Elections Nov 2010 Results. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-02-25.
- "41 - Chapra Assembly Constituency". Partywise Comparison Since 1977. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-02-25.