Outline of martial arts
The following outline is provided as an overview of and topical guide to martial arts:
Martial arts – systems of codified practices and traditions of training for combat. While they may be studied for various reasons, martial arts share a single objective: to physically defeat other persons and to defend oneself or others from physical threat. In addition, some martial arts are linked to beliefs such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Daoism, Confucianism or Shinto while others follow a particular code of honor. Many arts are also practised competitively, most commonly as combat sports, but may also take the form of dance.
Types of martial arts
- Martial arts by form – some examples include:
- Martial arts by region
- Fictional martial arts
History of martial arts
Martial arts weapons
- Fencing weapons
- Practice weapons
- Staff or stick weapons
- Spear weapons
Training techniques and equipment
- Chi sao
- Pushing hands
- Wooden dummy
Kinds of violent situation
- All Japan Kendo Federation
- British Judo Association
- Ki Society
- Pride Fighting Championships
- Japan Aikido Association
- The International Taoist Tai Chi Society
- The Jitsu Foundation
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- United Fighting Arts Federation
Famous Martial Artists
The following list consists of various famous martial artists of all different types and throughout history.
- Bruce Lee, Most noted for career as an actor, however Lee was also a martial arts instructor, philosopher, film director, film producer, screenwriter, and founder of the Jeet Kune Do (JKD) martial arts movement.
- Jackie Chan, Most noted for his career as a martial arts actor. Chan is also an action choreographer, filmmaker, comedian, director, producer, screenwriter, entrepreneur, singer and stunt performer.
- Wong Fei-hung
- Jet Li
- Donnie Yen
- Chuck Norris
- Steven Seagal, 7th-dan black belt in Aikido. Segal became the first foreigner to operate an Aikido Dojo in Japan.
- Miyamoto Musashi
- Yip Man, Famous Wing Chun practitioner who taught many other famous martial artists.
- Gichin Funakoshi, Creator of Shotokan karate.
- Kanō Jigorō, Founder of judo.
- Masaaki Hatsumi
- Tony Jaa, Famous actor, choreographer, stuntman, director, and former monk. Member of Muay Thai Stunt.
- Panna Rittikrai
- Dan Chupong
- Robin Shou, Famous martial arts actor who is most noted for his role as Liu Kang in Mortal Kombat.
- Sammo Hung
- Huo Yuanjia, Famous practitioner of Mizongyi and co-founder of the Chin Woo Athletic Association. Yuanjia is a national hero in China for defeating foreign fighters in highly publicized matches.
- Phillip Rhee, Famous practitioner of various martial arts (taekwondo, hapkido, kendo, wing chun, and boxing) and a successful actor.
- Jean-Claude Van Damme, Famous practitioner of various martial arts (shotokan karate, kickboxing, muay thai, and taekwondo) and a successful actor.
- Sho Kosugi, Practitioner of shindō jinen-ryū karate and a successful actor.
- Sonny Chiba, Practitioner of various martial arts, noted as one of the first actors to achieve stardom through his skills in martial arts.
- Zhang Ziyi
- Hirokazu Kanazawa, Famous Shotokan karate instructor and practitioner. Kanazawa is also the chief instructor and president of the Shotokan Karate-do International Federation (SKIF).
- Morihei Ueshiba, Founder of aikido.
- Mas Oyama, Founder of kyokushinkai karate.
- João Grande
- Mestre Pastinha
- Yuen Biao
- Angela Mao
- Kathy Long
- Mark Dacascos
- Gary Daniels
- Wesley Snipes
- Iko Uwais
- Dan Inosanto, Famous martial arts instructor who teaches, jeet kune do (JKD), filipino martial arts, shoot wrestling, brazilian jiu-jitsu (BJJ), muay thai, silat, mixed martial arts (MMA), and American kenpo karate.
- Tadashi Nakamura, Founder of Seidō juku karate.
- Wu Jing
- Carlos Gracie, Co-founder of brazilian jiu-jitsu (BJJ).
- Hélio Gracie, Co-founder of brazilian jiu-jitsu (BJJ). Gracie was also a 6th degree black belt jūdōka.
- Vidyut Jamwal, Action star popularly known as "The New Age Action Hero of Bollywood" is a trained martial artist since the age of three in the art form called Kalaripayattu.
- Shaolin Monastery and Shaolin kung fu
- martial arts film
- Wu Xia film
- Kung Fu (TV series)
- reaction time
- Yin Yang
- Samurai (bushi)
- Black belt (martial arts)
- Provost (martial arts)
- Basic Combat Training
- hand training
- Traditional Chinese medicine
Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Definitions from Wiktionary|
|Media from Commons|
|News stories from Wikinews|
|Quotations from Wikiquote|
|Source texts from Wikisource|
|Textbooks from Wikibooks|
|Learning resources from Wikiversity|