CommonJS maintains specifications (including drafts) and a list of implementations on a MediaWiki site. All editing activities have ceased since November 2014, marking the effective end of its life.
|“||What I’m describing here is not a technical problem. It’s a matter of people getting together and making a decision to step forward and start building up something bigger and cooler together.||”|
|— Kevin Dangoor|
In August 2009, the project was renamed CommonJS to show the broader applicability of the APIs. Specifications are created and approved in an open process. A specification is only considered final after it has been finished by multiple implementations. CommonJS is not affiliated with the Ecma International group TC39 working on ECMAScript, but some members of TC39 participate in the project.
In May 2013, Isaac Z. Schlueter, the author of npm, the package manager for Node.js, said CommonJS is being made obsolete by the now-dominant Node.js, and is avoided by the core Node.js developers.
The list of specifications includes:
- Modules/1.0 (Superseded by Modules/1.1)
The part after the slash is the version. When a proposal is in contention, each individual proposal (including sequential revisions from the same author) is assigned a new letter. When the main direction is known it starts being assigned numeric versions.
- Console (ported from Web)
- HTTP Client/B
- Unit Testing/B,1.0,1.0.1
- Common Node
- CommonJS Compiler - a command-line tool that makes Common JS modules suitable for in-browser use
- CommonJS for PHP - a light-weight CommonJS implementation for PHP 5.3+
- Joyent Smart Platform
- Node.js (partial; synchronous)
- "Recent changes". CommonJS Spec Wiki.
- ProposalProcess - CommonJS Spec Wiki
- CommonJS: the First Year - Blue Sky On Mars
- olegp/common-node @ GitHub
- - GitHub
- DrBenton/CommonJSForPHP - GitHub
- Implementations/CouchDB - CommonJS Spec Wiki
- Implementations/GPSEE - CommonJS Spec Wiki
- Implementations/Smart - CommonJS Spec Wiki
- Homepage - JSBuild Archived 2011-01-04 at the Wayback Machine
- Implementations/Narwhal - CommonJS Spec Wiki
- Implementations/node.js - CommonJS Spec Wiki
- Implementations/Persevere - CommonJS Spec Wiki
- pinf/loader-js - GitHub
- Implementations/RingoJS - CommonJS Spec Wiki
- SilkJS WWW Site
- Implementations/SproutCore - CommonJS Spec Wiki
- Implementations/TeaJS - CommonJS Spec Wiki