Conservative Friends of Turkey
Conservative Friends of Turkey (CFT) is a group associated with the British Conservative Party. Its fundamental objective is given as promoting links between Turkey and the Conservative Party at all levels, by working with local and national party organisations, business groups and academia. Other aims include fostering enhanced bilateral trade relationships and increasing awareness of the Conservative Party within the Turkish-speaking communities in the UK. The group also lobbies in favour of Turkish membership of the EU and highlights Turkey’s importance as an ally of the UK. CFT lists the following activities to achieve these aims: by providing information on Turkey through regular briefings and newsletters; by organising meetings and events in Britain, Turkey and Belgium; and by arranging British parliamentary delegations to Turkey .
CFT counts 21 MPs, 4 peers and 2 MEPs among its founders .
Recent CFT activities include: the official launch with Foreign Secretary Rt Hon William Hague MP, launch of the Brussels branch with Daniel Hannan MEP and Geoffrey Van Orden OBE MEP, a joint dinner with Cities of London and Westminster Conservative Association and a joint reception with Westminster North Conservative Association hosting Defence Secretary Rt Hon Dr Liam Fox MP.
CFT started publishing a monthly newsletter in early 2009, an archive of past newsletters can be found on the official website .
- List of organisations associated with the Conservative Party
- "Conservative Friends of Turkey in Action". Todayszaman.com. 30 October 2008. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Türkiye'nin Muhafazakâr Partili Dostlarına Görkemli Açılış". Avrupagazete.com. 30 October 2008. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "CFT Brüksel'deki ilk etkinliğini gerçekleştirdi". Londragazete.com. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- ""Yeni Soğuk Savaş'ta Türkiye'nin rolü" tartışıldı". Euractiv.com.tr. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Food for thought: promoting Turkey in London
- "Muhafazakârlar yemekte buluştu". Starkibris.net. 15 March 2009. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "'İngiltere için Türkiye önemli'". Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "İngiltere'nin Türkiye umudu". Cnnturk.com. 24 June 2009. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- Conservative Friends of Turkey – Official site