Dan Kuenster (born December 29, 1955 in Chicago, Illinois) is an American character animator and director, who worked for Walt Disney Animation Studios and Sullivan Bluth Studios, before pursuing educational multimedia projects. He is currently Executive Vice President of Design and Animation at Istation in Dallas, Texas.
While working on The Fox and the Hound, he met animator Don Bluth, and later left Disney for Bluth's newly formed independent studio. He continued to work through the growth of Sullivan Bluth studios, and when production facilities moved to Dublin, Ireland, he relocated to co-direct two of its most ambitious films, All Dogs Go to Heaven and Rock-a-Doodle. He returned to Los Angeles in the mid-1990s, to focus on the budding interactive and multimedia industry, where he designed games and animated for software developer 7th Level. He has also worked on many live action projects as a director, screenwriter, and storyboard artist, and he has voice acted in many of his films.
He is currently Executive Vice President of Design and Animation at Istation (Imagination Station), a critically acclaimed software developer and publisher of integrated reading and math intervention programs.
- The Small One (assistant animator: The Donkey, Boy's Father, Auctioneer) (uncredited)
- Banjo the Woodpile Cat (special thanks)
- Xanadu (assistant animator: animated sequence)
- The Fox and the Hound (assistant animator: Big Mama, Vixey, Widow Tweed) (uncredited)
- The Secret of NIMH (animator)
- Dragon's Lair (animator)
- An American Tail (directing animator, uncredited voice of Jake)
- The Land Before Time (directing animator: Littlefoot's mother)
- All Dogs Go To Heaven (co-director, voice of Doberman Bookie)
- Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp (animation staff)
- Rock-A-Doodle (co-director)
- FernGully: The Last Rainforest (character animation lead: Batty Koda)
- Tom and Jerry: The Movie (animator: Creative Capers Cartoons)
- Once Upon A Forest (animator: The Hollywood Cartoon Company) (uncredited)
- Felidea (director and producer: Kuenster Bros. Animation) (uncredited)
- The Pagemaster (additional animator) (uncredited)
- Timon & Pumbaa's Jungle Games (game designer, animation director: 7th Level)
- The Pebble and the Penguin (additional character animator)
- The Secret of NIMH 2: Timmy to the Rescue (storyboard artist)
- Jakers! The Adventures of Piggley Winks (storyboard artist)
- Karon, Paul (September 23, 1996). "Animation of a Different Character". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- Daly, Cheryl. "31st Annual Emmy Awards". Press Release. National Television Academy. Archived from the original on 24 May 2012. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- "2013 BESSIE Awards". The ComputED Gazette. Retrieved 14 June 2013.