Caspe at the PaleyFest Fall TV Previews 2014 for Marry Me
|Born||David Herbert Caspe
October 20, 1978
San Francisco, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Film & TV Writer|
|Spouse(s)||Casey Wilson (m. 2014)|
David Herbert Caspe (born October 20, 1978) is an American film and television writer. He wrote the 2012 film That's My Boy and created the ABC comedy series Happy Endings and the NBC sitcom Marry Me.
Life and career
David Herbert Caspe was born on October 20, 1978 in San Francisco, California and grew up in Chicago, Illinois. In 2006, Caspe moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in screenwriting. In 2010, his screenplay for I Hate You, Dad (later re-titled That's My Boy) was picked up by Sony and Happy Madison productions. The film starred Adam Sandler and Andy Samberg, and was released on June 15, 2012.
Caspe's ABC series Happy Endings ran for three seasons, ending its run on May 3, 2013. As well as creating the series, he was also the executive producer and co-showrunner. He went on to create the NBC sitcom Marry Me, which he again collaborated on with his wife Casey Wilson (they had previously met on Happy Endings), the premise was loosely based on Wilson and Caspe's relationship. The series starred Wilson and Ken Marino as a newly engaged couple and ran for one season from 2014 to 2015. Caspe is known to set his shows in his hometown of Chicago.
His newest series Ball Street was picked up by Showtime in September 2017, starring Don Cheadle and Andrew Rannells. Caspe and co-creator Jordan Cahan will serve as showrunners and produce the show alongside executive producers Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, who will direct the pilot episode.
Caspe lives in Los Angeles and is married to actress Casey Wilson. They originally met in early 2010 when Wilson auditioned for his ABC series Happy Endings and after working together on the show for over a year, started dating in July 2011. They got engaged over Labor Day weekend in September 2013 and were married on May 25, 2014 in Ojai, California. They have two sons, Max Red Caspe (born May 2015) and Henry Bear Caspe (born August 24, 2017).
Film and television credits
- 2011–2013: Happy Endings (creator, executive producer, director - ABC Series)
- 2012: That's My Boy (screenwriter)
- 2014: Cuz-Bros (co-creator, executive producer - CBS Sitcom Pilot)
- 2014: Duty (executive producer - Comedy Central Pilot)
- 2014–2015: Marry Me (creator, executive producer - NBC Series)
- 2018: Ball Street (co-creator, executive producer - Upcoming Showtime Series)
- California Birth Index. "David Herbert Caspe, Born 10/20/1978 in California". California Birth Index. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- Dugan, John (November 28, 2011). "Happy Endings creator David Caspe on Chicago, The Beachwood Inn and loft living". Time Out Chicago. Retrieved July 17, 2016.
- Mallozzi, Vincent (May 24, 2014). "Their Life Is a Laugh Riot". New York Times. Retrieved May 26, 2014.
- McRady, Rachel (May 26, 2014). "Casey Wilson Married! Happy Endings Star Wed David Caspe in Intimate California Wedding". Us Weekly. Retrieved May 26, 2014.
- Marquina, Sierra (May 21, 2015). "Casey Wilson Gives Birth to First Child". Us Weekly. Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- Fernandez, Alexia (2017-08-24). "Casey Wilson Welcomes Son Henry Bear One Month Before Due Date". People.com. Retrieved 2017-08-30.