Deir al-'Asal al-Fauqa
|Deir al-'Asal al-Fauqa|
|• Arabic||دير العسل الفوقا|
Deir al-'Asal al-Fauqa
|• Type||Village council|
Deir al-'Asal al-Fauqa (Arabic: دير العسل الفوقا) is a Palestinian town located sixteen kilometers west of Hebron.The town is in the Hebron Governorate Southern West Bank. According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics, the town had a population of over 1,600 in 2007.
British Mandate era
In 1961, the population of Deir al-'Asal al-Fauqa was 282.
In March 2013, Yusef a-Shawamreh, a 14-year-old from the village, who went with two others through the Israeli West Bank barrier near the village to pick Akub on part of his family’s land west of the barrier, was shot to death by Israeli soldiers, stationed to prevent unauthorized passage through the barrier. According to an IDF investigation, a-Shawamreh and his partners made a hole in the fence before passing. After passing through the fence the soldiers called them to stop. When they tried to escape, the soldiers shot towards a-Shawamreh's leg but mistakenly hit his waist, causing his death. Therefore, the soldiers were not prosecuted. B'Tselem criticized this decision, claiming that a-Shawamreh was shot without warning, and that, in any event, the decision to put soldiers in ambush near the fence and shoot those who pass was illegal.
- 2007 PCBS Census Archived December 10, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics. p.118.
- Palmer, 1881, p 392
- Robinson and Smith, 1841, vol 3, p. 6
- Robinson and Smith, 1841, vol 3, Appendix 2, p. 117
- Conder and Kitchener, 1883, SWP III, p. 328
- Mills, 1932, p. 30
- Government of Jordan, Department of Statistics, 1964, p. 22
- Nothing short of a war crime Mar. 28, 2014 Haaretz
- The bitter anniversary of Yusuf Shawamreh’s death
- Israeli forces kill Palestinian teen in southern West Bank
- WhatsApp messages show Israeli soldiers knew they were about to kill a child, 21 June 2015, Patrick Strickland
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1883). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology. 3. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Government of Jordan, Department of Statistics (1964). First Census of Population and Housing. Volume I: Final Tables; General Characteristics of the Population (PDF).
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas (PDF). Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Robinson, Edward; Smith, Eli (1841). Biblical Researches in Palestine, Mount Sinai and Arabia Petraea: A Journal of Travels in the year 1838. 3. Boston: Crocker & Brewster.
- Welcome to Dayr al-'Asal al-Fuqa
- Deir al 'Asal al Fauqa village (fact sheet), Applied Research Institute - Jerusalem (ARIJ)
- Deir al 'Asal al Fauqa village profile, Applied Research Institute - Jerusalem (ARIJ)
- Deir al 'Asal al Fauqa Village aerial photo, Applied Research Institute - Jerusalem (ARIJ)
- Survey of Western Palestine, Map 21: IAA, Wikimedia commons