|(87,700 cited 1982)|
Most speakers live in Douala, the biggest city of Cameroon, which has since grown more than four times as big.
|ISO 639-3||None (|
Duala (also spelt Douala, Diwala, Dwela, Dualla and Dwala) is a dialect cluster spoken by the Duala and Mungo peoples of Cameroon. Douala belongs to the Bantu language family, in a subgroup called Sawabantu. Maho (2009) treats Douala as a cluster of five languages: Douala proper, Bodiman, Oli (Ewodi, Wuri), Pongo and Mongo. He also notes a Douala-based pidgin named Jo.
The song "Soul Makossa", as well as pop songs that repeated its lyrics, internationally popularised the Duala word for "(I) dance", "makossa". The song Alane by artist Wes Madiko is sung in Duala and reached #1 position in at least 10 European countries.
- E. Dinkelacker, Wörterbuch der Duala-Sprache, Hamburg, 1914.
- Paul Helmlinger, Dictionnaire duala-français, suivi d'un lexique français-duala. Editions Klincksieck, Paris, 1972.
- Johannes Ittmann, edited by E. Kähler-Meyer, Wörterbuch der Duala-Sprache, Dictionnaire de la langue duala, Dictionary of the Duala Language, Dietrich Reimer, Berlin, 1976. The preface evaluates ref. 1 above as terse, but good, while ref. 2 has missing and erroneous tone marks.
- Douala at Ethnologue (18th ed., 2015)
- Hammarström, Harald; Forkel, Robert; Haspelmath, Martin, eds. (2017). "Duala". Glottolog 3.0. Jena, Germany: Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History.
- Hammarström, Harald; Forkel, Robert; Haspelmath, Martin, eds. (2017). "Oli-Bidiman". Glottolog 3.0. Jena, Germany: Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History.
- Jouni Filip Maho, 2009. New Updated Guthrie List Online
- "TRANS Nr. 13: George Echu (Yaounde): Multilingualism as a Resource: the Lexical Appropriation of Cameroon Indigenous Languages by English and French". Inst.at. Retrieved 2017-07-06.
- Duala alphabet, Omniglot
- DUALA SUN : language and culture
- Ya Jokwa Duala (short dictionary of the French – Duala)
- la langue Duala
- Wiktionnaire, français – duala lemmas
- Map of Duala language from the LL-Map project
- Christian films in Douala (video)
- Portail Douala-douala
- Résurrection des langues minoritaires
- Alphabet camerounais
|This article about a language spoken in Cameroon is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Bantu language-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|