This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Created by||John Philips, Dave Crossland, George Williams|
Open Font Library is a project devoted to hosting and encouraging the creation of fonts released under Free Licenses. It is a sister project to Openclipart and hosts over 6000 fonts from over 250 contributors. These are intended to be downloaded, remixed and shared freely. Originally created as an initiative in 2006, the project relaunched on May 12, 2011 at the Libre Graphics Meeting 2011 in Montreal by Fabricatorz developer Christopher Adams.
The site was started with a deployment of ccHost version 4, and in 2008 Dave Crossland made a funding campaign that raised over US$10,000 from Mozilla, Prince XML, River Valley and TUG to transition to ccHost 5 with a new brand to promote web font linking. However, the work done with the funds was not published until 2010 at the 2010 Libre Graphics Meeting in Brussels.
The project's members meet annually at the Libre Graphics Meeting. In 2011, work supported by Dave Crossland, Christopher Adams, Fabricatorz and other community members got a major release at the LGM in Montreal. Fabricatorz built the project on the Aiki Framework and managed development via Launchpad.
In April 2012, Fabricatorz released an update to Open Font Library that includes an interactive font catalogue preview feature, HTML and CSS code implementation, and a new design by Manufactura Independente.
- "John Philips – Open Font Library – Full Interview". Fullcirclemagazine.com. 17 October 2007. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Then, now, and the future of open source fonts". Opensource.com. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- Dmitri Popov (2014-01-29). "Open Font Library: The Font Fountain". Linux Magazine. Retrieved 2017-06-27.
- "Finding and using free fonts [LWN.net]". Lwn.net. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Top 5 sources for open source fonts". Opensource.com. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "The Ubuntu font and a fresh look at open font licensing [LWN.net]". lwn.net. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Launching the Open Font Library and Freeing Fonts - Fabricatorz". Fabricatorz.com. 19 May 2011. Archived from the original on 19 May 2011. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Adobe ventures into open fonts [LWN.net]". lwn.net. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Open Font Library Provides Free Fonts For All, Developers and Stay-At-Home Dads Alike". Fabricatorz.com. 12 April 2012. Archived from the original on 12 April 2012. Retrieved 23 June 2017.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
|This website-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|