Source Han Sans
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Source Han Sans (2019)
|Classification||East Asian gothic typeface|
|Commissioned by||Adobe, Google|
|License||v1.001 and before: Apache License v2.0|
v1.002 and after: SIL Open Font License v.1.1
|Source Han Sans|
Latin-script letters and numerals are taken from the Source Sans Pro font, while simplified and traditional Chinese, Korean, and Japanese characters are created by Changzhou SinoType Technology Co., Ltd., Arphic Technology Co., Ltd., Sandoll Communications Inc., and Iwata Corporation.
The kana characters were designed by Ryoko Nishizuka of Adobe Systems Incorporated, Akira Mizuno (Technical Director, Iwata Corporation), Kazuo Hashimoto (Chief Designer, Iwata Corporation), and Tomihisa Uchida (R&D Director, Iwata Corporation).
The Korean hangul characters, Japanese and Korean ideographs were designed by Sandoll Communication by Kang Ju-yeon directed by Chang Soo-young. CJK ideographs ranges 17627-51760 were designed by Changzhou SinoType.
Specification of the glyph set and Unicode mappings, CJK glyph consolidation were done by Ken Lunde of Adobe Systems Incorporated.
Designs of multiple master-like components were performed by Taro Yamamoto of Adobe Systems Incorporated. Element Library used for building ideograms was designed by Masataka Hattori of Adobe Systems Incorporated.
Archaic Hangul support includes 1,488 glyphs and 500 high-frequency archaic hangul syllables. Method of combining jamo is based on KS X 1026-1:2007 standard.
The font family includes seven font weights: ExtraLight 250, Light 300, Normal 350, Regular 400, Medium 500, Bold 700, and Heavy 900. The font contains 65,535 glyphs (the maximum possible in a TrueType font), and covers 29,777 CJK Unified Ideographs and 409 CJK Compatibility Ideographs specified in the Unicode Standard.
Other changes from Source Sans Pro include using different scaling factors for Latin, Latin-like, Greek, and Cyrillic glyphs (eg: Normal and Bold fonts are scaled to 113% and 115% of Source Sans Pro counterparts respectively); half-width Latin glyphs are strictly half widths of ideograms, alternate designs from glyphs shared with Source Code Pro (eg: zero (0) does not include a center dot).
The 28-font OTC version of Source Sans Pro became available in version 1.001.
- Several glyphs proposed for CJK Unified Ideographs Extension G were included and accessible via the 'ccmp' GSUB feature.
- The Hong Kong flavor of Traditional Chinese was introduced.
- The glyphs for bopomofo were redesigned.
- The glyphs for half-width jamo were replaced.
- Macintosh 'name' table strings were omitted.
- Regular weight is style-linked to the Bold weight.
- The deprecated 'hngl' GSUB feature was removed.
- The 'vert' GPOS (not GSUB) feature was added to support combining jamo in vertical writing.
- Some glyphs for newer versions of Unicode were added.
Version 2.001 added a new character stands for Japanese era name Reiwa, and several glyphs for Hong Kong locale.
Noto Sans CJK (2014)
The Noto version of the font families include font weights in Thin 250, Light 300, DemiLight 350, Regular 400, Medium 500, Bold 700, Black 900.
Noto Sans CJK fonts are released as individual fonts separated by language and weight, or as OTC fonts containing all language variants separated by weight, or OTC fonts containing all weights separated by language, or a single OTC font containing all languages and weights.
Source Han Sans HW (2015)
Introduced as part of Source Han Sans Version 1.002 update, Source Han Sans HW fonts are based on the corresponding Source Han Sans fonts, but include half-width glyphs for ASCII and small number of additional characters in Regular and Bold font weights.
Noto Sans Mono CJK
Noto Sans Mono CJK fonts are monospaced versions of Noto Sans CJK, which includes glyphs in 4 language variants. Only regular and bold weight fonts were released.
Noto Sans Mono CJK was introduced in Noto Sans CJK version 1.002 package.
OTC fonts include Noto Sans Mono CJK, except for the region-specific Subset OTC fonts.
Source Han Code JP (2015)
Source Han Code JP (源ノ角ゴシック Code JP) is a duospaced font family using Latin glyphs from Source Code Pro, with Latin glyphs are scaled to match Japanese characters, and their widths are adjusted to be exactly 667 units (two-thirds of an EM). The remaining characters were from Source Han Sans JP fonts with glyph set supporting only Japanese.
- CYanHeiHK (昭源甄黑體): It is a variant of Source Han Sans version 1.x with ideograms based on Graphemes of Commonly-used Chinese Characters published by the Hong Kong Education Bureau.
- Chiron Sans HK (昭源黑體): It is a successor of CYanHeiHK, based on Source Han Sans version 2.x. This is took references from successful commercial Traditional Chinese font products to provide an orthographic variant which Hong Kong people are generally more familiar with.
- GenEi Antique (源暎アンチック): Based on Source Han Sans JP, Gen Shin Gothic, Linux Biolinum, GL-Antique. Only 1 font weight is available. Font format was changed to TrueType outline in version 3.0.
- GenEi Gothic (源暎ゴシック): Changes include altering font weight names (Normal, Regular, Medium are changed to SemiLight, Regular, SemiBold respectively), redesigned glyphs for 'き', 'こ', 'さ', 'と', 'ま', '人', '1', '?'; half-width Latin glyphs are readjusted to Japanese glyph heights, maintaining same horizontal glyph margins for base kana subglyphs in kana glyphs containing voiced or semi-voiced mark, using full-width space as basis to readjust glyph cell widths for Latin glyphs.
- GenEi Gothic M (源暎ゴシックM): Based on Gen Shin Gothic Monospace. In addition to common change, modified versions half-width glyphs from Gen Shin Gothic Monospace is used, outline format was changed to TrueType.
- GenEi Gothic N (源暎ゴシックN): Based on Source Han Sans JP. In addition to common change, Latin glyphs are enlarged by 4-10% with lowered ascenders and descenders to match Japanese glyphs, hacks to vertical bounding box to fix long glyphs descenders in some software such as Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator.
- GenEi Gothic P (源暎ゴシックP): Based on Source Han Sans JP. In addition to common and N font changes, proportional glyph cells are used in full-width kana, alphanumeric characters, and some symbols, except the changes do not apply in vertical glyphs.
- GenEi Gothic H-KL (源暎ゴシックH KL)/GenEi Gothic N U-KL (源暎ゴシックN U-KL): Based on GenEi Gothic Heavy (N and P fonts only). Changes include enlarged kana glyphs by 5-7%, additional rotated italic glyphs for question mark and exclamation mark, addition of wavy dash glyphs to start from the centre of text flow line.
- Gen Jyuu Gothic (源柔ゴシック (げんじゅうゴシック))/Gen Jyuu GothicL (源柔ゴシックL)/Gen Jyuu GothicX (源柔ゴシックX): It is a rounded version of Genshin Gothic. 3 different types of roundness at stroke terminals are available.
- Gen Shin Gothic (源真ゴシック (げんしんゴシック))/Gen Shin Gothic P (源真ゴシックP)/Gen Shin Gothic Monospace (源真ゴシック等幅): It is a version of Source Han Sans in TrueType outline, addition of proportional kana (Gen Shin Gothic P) and half-width (Gen Shin Gothic Monospace) kana fonts, removal of Chinese and Korean-specific phonetic symbols.
- GenYoGothic (源樣黑體/源様ゴシック): It is a version of Source Han Sans in TrueType outline, with ideograms identical to a classical Chinese type design prior to the Standard Form of National Characters by the Ministry of Education of the Republic of China (Taiwan).
- GenSenMaruGothic (源泉圓體/源泉丸ゴシック): It is a version of Source Han Sans in TrueType outline, with similar type design to GenYoGothic, but the ideograms are rounded at terminals.
- GenSekiGothic (源石黑體/源石ゴシック): It is a version of Source Han Sans in TrueType outline, with similar type design to GenYoGothic, but the ideograms looks a bit sharp at terminals.
- Inziu Iosevka: Based on Iosevka, M+, Source Han Sans. Changes include the addition of TrueType hinting, optimization for screen displays. Available in TrueType Collection or individual TrueType font formats. The family includes only regular and bold weight fonts.
- KaiGen Gothic (懷源黑體/怀源黑体/懐源ゴシック/카이겐고딕)/KaiGen Gothic HW (懷源黑體/怀源黑体/懐源ゴシック/카이겐고딕 HW): It is a version of Source Han Sans in TrueType outline, no OpenType typographic feature.
- Sarasa Gothic (更纱黑体/更紗黑體/更紗ゴシック): It is a successor of Inziu Iosevka, for programming use. The family includes only regular and bold weight fonts. Changes to Sarasa Gothic includes converting all TTC fonts to include all language variants, replacing the slab serif monospace fonts with Source Hans Sans-based sans serif proportional UI fonts.
Adobe's open source family
- Source Sans Pro, the first member of Adobe’s open source family.
- Source Code Pro, the second member of Adobe's open source family.
- Source Serif Pro, the third member of Adobe's open source family.
- Source Han Sans, the fourth member of Adobe's open source family and the first to include CJK characters.
- Source Han Serif, the last member of Adobe's open source family and includes CJK characters.
- Introducing Source Han Sans: An open source Pan-CJK typeface
- Source Han Sans vs Source Han Serif
- Source Han Sans Development: Archaic Hangul
- Adobe Releases Source Han Sans: Iwata Extends Japanese Ideographs
- イワタが日本語の漢字拡張を担当したフォント「Source Han Sans」が、グーグルとアドビのパートナーシップにもとづき、リリースされました。 (2014/07/16)
- Adobe and Google Announce a Digital Type Breakthrough
- Noto: A CJK Font That is Complete, Beautiful and Right for Your Language and Region
- Introducing Source Han Sans: An open source Pan-CJK typeface
- Pan-CJK Partner Profile: Iwata Corporation
- Source Han Sans & Noto Sans CJK—The World’s First Open-Source Pan-CJK Typeface Families
- The Three Musketeers (三銃士)
- Source Han Sans vs Source Sans Pro & Source Code Pro
- Source Han Sans update: New flavors & minor fixes
- Source Han Sans Version 2.000 Technical Tidbits
- Source Han Sans Version 2.001
- Xiangye Xiao; Stuart Gill; Jungshik Shin (2014-07-15). "Noto: A CJK Font That is Complete, Beautiful and Right for Your Language and Region". Google. Retrieved 2014-12-23.
- Source Han Sans Version 1.002 Update
- Introducing Source Han Code JP
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Source Han Sans.|
- Adobe Typekit page: Source Han Sans Traditional Chinese, Source Han Sans Simplified Chinese, Source Han Sans Japanese, Source Han Sans Korean
- Adobe Fonts - Source Han Sans
- Google Noto Sans CJK
- Sandoll Communications Inc. page: Bon Gothic (Source Han Sans), 본고딕
- GitHub pages: Source Han Sans, Source Han Code JP
- Source Han Sans Mirror on CodePlex