Fyodor Sergeyevich Bondarchuk
9 May 1967
|Occupation||Film director, actor, producer, clipmaker, TV host, creator.|
|Notable work||The 9th Company, Down House, The Inhabited Island, Stalingrad, Attraction|
Fyodor Sergeyevich Bondarchuk (Russian: Фёдор Сергеевич Бондарчук [ˈfʲɵdər sʲɪrˈɡʲe(j)ɪvʲɪdʑ bəndɐrˈtɕuk]; born 9 May 1967) is a Russian film director, actor, TV and film producer, clipmaker, TV host, founder of production company Art Pictures Studio.
Is a winner of TEFI award in 2003 in nomination “The best host of the entertainment TV-show”. He is a two-time winner of the Golden Eagle Award: as a Best Actor in a movie Two Days by Avdotya Smirnova (2011) and as a Best Actor in the comedy Ghost produced by Alexander Voitinsky (2015).
In 1990 started his career as the first Russian producer of music videos. In 1993 he won the Ovation award as the best producer of musical video.
Bondarchuk's breakthrough as an actor came with his dual role in the 1999 cult film 8 ½ $ by Grigori Konstantinopolsky, where he played both Fyodor and Stepan. In 2001 Fyodor played the role of Count Myshkin in Down House, loosely based on Dostoyevsky's novel The Idiot.
Fyodor Bondarchuk started his career as a film producer in 2002, beginning with the film In Motion (2002). Since that he has produced over twenty film projects that were great box-office successes. Bondarchuk won the 2003 TEFI Award for "the Best Host of the Entertainment TV-Show". In 2005 he directed his debut film The 9th Company, which was based on real events which happened during the Afghan war (1979–1989). The filming process took place in the Crimea, and lasted 5 months. The 9th Company eventually won 7 awards and was nominated eight times. It also broke the former box office record. The 9th Company became the first Russian film earning $25 million. In 2006 The 9th Company was submitted for Best Foreign Film on Academy Award, but it was ultimately not nominated.
“This film is about my generation, about the war and friendship. About men's love, feat, treason and loyalty” – Bondarchuk said, – “Probably the truth I was trying to show there will not be pleasant to our generals. But Afghan soldiers who were excited after viewing our film is the best proof for me. That is really important”.
Also Fyodor created The Inhabited Island (2008). In 2006 Boris Strugatskiy gave him the rights to adapt the fantasy novel Prisoners of Power. The overall time of the shooting took 222 days. Production and distribution of Inhabited Island was realized by Fyodor Bondarchuk's film company Art Pictures Studio. The film earned $30 million and took the third place of the box office of CIS area in 2009. In 2012 Bondarchuk received the Golden Eagle Award for the Best Actor in the film Two Days (2011) by Avdotya Smirnova. At the same year, Fyodor and film producer Alexander Rodnyansky officially announced the beginning of the cooperation with IMAX Filmed Entertainment (also known as IMAX Corporation).
Greg Foster, the president of the company, said:
“Fyodor and Alexander showed me a 15 minute fragment of Stalingrad. And I'm very glad that we did a right choice in choosing a partners”.
In 2017 Fedor Bondarchuk directed the science fiction film Attraction. It was a box office success and earned $18 million. Over 4 million viewers watched Attraction in cinema, and it was the leader of online streaming after the digital release. The follow-up of this story, the film Invasion, came out in theaters in January 2020 and grossed over $11.5 millions in cinemas (with more than 2 million audience). Fedor Bondarchuk’s most recent project is his first TV-series Psycho — a dramatic story about a modern psychotherapist with Konstantin Bogomolov and Elena Lyadova in leading roles. Psycho was released on more.tv streaming service on the 5th of November. Russian NMG Studio and Renta Videostudio are producing.
Bondarchuk is chair of the board of trustees of the Kinotavr Film Festival, a member of the Russian Academy of Cinema Arts and Science (responsible for the Nika Awards) and a member of the National Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences of Russia (responsible for the Golden Eagle Awards.
Art Pictures Studio
Fyodor is a founder of Art Pictures Studio production company, which he founded in 1991 together with his friends Juhan Saul Gross and Stepan Mikhalkov and reorganized it into the Art Pictures Studio in 2006 with his partner Dmitry Rudovskiy. The main area of the company is film and video production and distribution. The company is working with a variety of projects, ranging from music and advertising videos to feature films.
Musical and advertising videos made by Art Pictures received a lot of Russian and international awards. The company worked with Heinz, Philips, Sony, Zikr (Colgate total), Pepsi etc. In 2002 Art Pictures moved into film production.
In 2012 Fyodor Bondarchuk produced the screen adaption of Sergey Minaev's book of the same name, Dukhless. Released in October 2012, it became the most successful Russian fiction film that year. The sequel, Dukhless 2, was released in 2015.
Among the most famous Art Picture Studio’s film projects are the dilogy Soulles (2012) and Soulles 2 (2015) (both features were based on Sergey Minaev's books of the same name). The first picture of this series became the most successful Russian fiction film in 2012. The sequel Soulles 2 grossed more than $8 million. In 2018 Fedor Bondarchuk produced another Minaev’s adaptation Selfie (grossed more than $4 million). In 2018 APS also released a musical film Ice that became a box-office hit and grossed more than $22 million against the budget of $2 million. Its sequel Ice 2 (2020) was released in February and grossed more than $21 million.
One of the latest Studio’s projects, sci-fi thriller Sputnik (2020). In Russia the picture was digitally released in April and was viewed more than 1 million times after just one month of streaming. After its release in the USA Sputnik also became Number 1 in American iTunes (the "Horror" category) and made it to the service’s top-5 in general. Sputnik's Rotten Tomatoes score is almost 90%, the first Russian project to be rated this highly. APS is also developing its first documentary focusing on a figure of Academy-Award winning director Sergei Bondarchuk. Helming the project are journalists Denis Kataev and Anton Jelnov with Ilya Belov as a director.
Art Pictures Studio also has a subdivision Art Pictures Vision that specializes in TV production. This company’s portfolio includes such hits as The Year of Culture (TNT channel), 90's. Funny and loud!, Psychologirls (STS channel). In 2019 other Vision’s projects were digitally released on Amazon Prime streaming service: sports drama Junior League (STS), spy thriller Sleepers (TV 1st channel) and a horror story The day after. Among current popular Art Pictures Vision projects are a road-movie type of comedy Let's go!(STS) and sports comedy Lanky Girls (STS). Among new releases are — a detective period piece An Hour before the Dawn (post-production) and story about a Russian moto sport team Kamaz Master — Truck Racer (post-production).
In 2008 Fyodor Bondarchuk together with Konstantin Ernst (Director General of the Russian Channel One) and Ilya Bachurin founded the large-scale project Glavkino. The project consists of a television and television complex, a hardware complex, a production center, a script laboratory. In 2011 Glavkino and New York Art Academy founded a grant named after Sergei Bondarchuk.
In 2017 Glavkino ownership was transferred from its founders, including Fyodor Bondarchuk, Konstantin Ernst, Ilya Bachurin, Vitaly Golovachev and Nikolai Tsvetkov, to the creditor VTB Bank. Each of the five founders of Glavkino received $1800 each, while VTB repaid the studio's debts, estimated at about $52 million.
In 2009 Fyodor Bondarchuk with producer Sergey Selianov initiated the project Kinositi. The main mission of this company is to create network of multimedia educational cinema complexes throughout Russia. In 2012, Kinositi became the official partner of cinema chain Premier Zal.
Fyodor Bondarchuk is a co-owner of two restaurants in Moscow (together with his friends and partners Stepan Mikhalkov, Arkadiy Novikov and Kirill Gusev).
Fyodor Bondarchuk is a popular television host in Russia. His show about the world of cinema aired weekly on the STS TV channel in Russia. His guests in the studio included Oliver Stone, Darren Aronofsky, Michael Bay, Christoph Waltz, Daniel Craig, Til Schweiger etc. In 2003 he received TEFI as the best TV host of entertainment program, in March 2004 Bondarchuk became a member of Russian Television Academy's fund. At the same year Fyodor started to host the reality show You are a Supermodel.
In 2013 Fyodor started his career as a TV producer with two projects on the STS channel in Russia.
|1986||Boris Godunov||Feodor II of Russia|
|1988||Solnechnyi bereg (original title)||young soldier|
|1989||A Midsummer Night's Dream||Fedor|
|1993||Angels of the Death||sniper Ivan|
|1998||Stop (original title "Ostanovka")|
|1999||8 ½ $||Fedor/Stepan|
|2000||Formula of Happiness|
|2001||Down House||count Myshkin|
|2001||Men's Work (TV)||Rebrov|
|2002||Cinema about Cimena||Nikolay Zhiltsov, film producer|
|2002||Men's Work 2 (TV)||Rebrov|
|2004||Our Own||the chief of Police|
|2004||My Fair Nanny (TV)||cameo|
|2004||B-day of the Best Friend|
|2005||The 9th Company||Khokhol|
|2005||From 180 and Higher||Savik Galkin|
|2005||The State Counsellor||Burchinskiy|
|2005||Dacha for sale||Vladimir|
|2005||Mama, ne goryui 2 (original title)||Leva|
|2005||The Fall of the Empire (TV)||General Anton Denikin|
|2006||9 Months (TV)||Kostya|
|2006||Tri polugratsii (original title, TV)||Kurbatov|
|2006||Open Season (animated film)||Boog (Russian dubbing)|
|2007||Sem kabinok (original title)||drug dealer|
|2007||Artistka (original title)||film director|
|2007||Tiski (original title)||Igor Verner|
|2008||Admiral||Sergei Bondarchuk (pseudo cameo)|
|2008||The Inhabited Island||Umnik|
|2008||Sunshine Barry & the Disco Worms (animated film)||Tonny Dennis (Russian dubbing)|
|2008||Open Season 2 (animated film)||Boog (Russian dubbing)|
|2009||The Best Movie 2||Fedor Bondarchuk (cameo)|
|2009||The Inhabited Island: Skirmish||Umnik|
|2010||Moscow, I Love You!||suicide|
|2010||Pro lyubоff (original title)||Vladimir Victorovich|
|2010||Pseudonym for Hero||Director|
|2011||Svadba po obmenu (original title)||Ruslan|
|2011||Two Days||Petr Drozdov|
|2011||Bezrazlichie (original title)||Petya Selyutin|
|2011||The White Guard (TV)||Shpolyanskiy|
|2012||The Spy||Alexey Oktyabrsky|
|2012||7 dní hříchů||Major Uvarov|
|2012||Tri bogatyrya na dalnikh beregakh (original title, animated film)||Kolyvan (dubbing)|
|2012||After School (TV)||cameo|
|2013||Molodezhka (original title, TV)||Oleg Ivanovich Kalinin|
|2013||Odnoklassniki.ru: NaCLICKai udachu (original title)||Fedor|
|2014||Chudotvorets (original, TV)||Viktor Stavitsky|
|2014||Gena Beton (original title)|
|2015||Ghost (Призрак)||Yury Gordeyev|
|2015||The Warrior||Andrey Rodin|
|2015||A Warrior's Tail||Elza (voice)|
|2016||Santa Claus. Battle of the Magi||Miran Morozov, the Father Frost (Santa Claus)|
|2017||About Love. For Adults Only|
|Heart of Parma||Grand Duke of Moscow Ivan III|
|1989||Dream in a Summer Morning||short film|
|1993||Lyublyu (original title)||special project|
|2005||The 9th Company|
|2006||And Quiet Flows the Don (TV)||final editing of a film directed in 1992 by his father|
|2008||The Inhabited Island|
|2009||The Inhabited Island: Skirmish|
|2012||Nowhere to Hurry|
|2003||Gololyod (original title)|
|2005||The 9th Company|
|2008||The Inhabited Island|
|2009||The Inhabited island: Skirmish|
|2011||New Year SMS (TV)|
|2013||Odnoklassniki.ru (original title)|
|2013||The Best Girl of Caucasus|
|2013||Yes and Yes|
|2016||The Queen of Spades|
|2016||The Good Boy|
Awards and nominations
- Sozvezdie 2002 – Best Supporting Actor (Kino pro kino)
- TEFI, 2003 – Best TV host of entertainment TV show (Kreslo, STS)
- Nika Award, 2006 – Best Feature Film (The 9th Company, director Fedor Bondarchuk)
- Golden Eagle Award, 2006 – Best Feature Film (The 9th Company, director Fedor Bondarchuk)
- Golden Aries Award (Russia), 2006 – Best Film (The 9th Company, director Fedor Bondarchuk)
- Golden Aries Award (Russia), 2006 – Best directing debut (The 9th Company, director Fedor Bondarchuk)
- Golden Aries Award (Russia), 2006 – People's choice Award (The 9th Company, director Fedor Bondarchuk)
- Golden Aries Award (Russia), 2006 – Best feature film according to Internet voting (The 9th Company, director Fedor Bondarchuk)
- VIVAT (Russia), 2006 – Grand Prix of the festival (The 9th Company, director Fedor Bondarchuk)
- Blockbaster 2009 (Box office record on CIS area) (The Inhabited Island, director Fedor Bondarchuk)
- International Antalya Golden Orange Film Festival (Turkey), 2010 – special prize for the contribution to the world cinema
- Golden Eagle Award, 2012 – Golden Eagle Award for Best Leading Actor (Two Days, director Dunya Smirnova)
- Nika Award, 2003 – Best Supporting Actor (Kino pro kino)
- Nika Award, 2006 – Breakthrough of the Year (The 9th Company, director Fedor Bondarchuk)
- Nika Award, 2006 – Best Director (The 9th Company, director Fedor Bondarchuk)
- Golden Eagle Award, 2006 – Best Feature Film (The 9th Company, director Fedor Bondarchuk)
- Golden Eagle Award, 2008 – Golden Eagle Award for Best Leading Actor (Tiski)
- Golden Eagle Award, 2012 – Golden Eagle Award for Best Leading Actor (Spy)
- MTV Russia Movie Awards, 2008 – Best Actor (Ya ostayus)
- MTV Russia Movie Awards, 2008 – Best Movie villain (Tiski)
Fyodor was married for more than 20 years to Svetlana Bondarchuk (née Rudskaya), main editor of HELLO! magazine (Russia). They have 2 children: son Sergey and daughter Varvara. After divorcing from Svetlana, Fedor became romantically involved with actress Paulina Andreeva.
- Peter Rollberg (2016). Historical Dictionary of Russian and Soviet Cinema. US: Rowman & Littlefield. pp. 115–116. ISBN 1442268425.
- "Биография Федора Бондарчука". RIA Novosti. 9 May 2017.
- "Бондарчук, Федор". Lenta.ru.
- "Лауреаты премии «Золотой Орел» за 2011 год". Golden Eagle Award.
- "Лауреаты премии «Золотой Орел» за 2015 год". Golden Eagle Award.
- Russian source: Fyodor Bondarchuk headed the board of directors of "Lenfilm", KP.Ru
- Fyodor Bondarchuk Appointed Chairman of the Board at Lenfilm
- "Fedor Bondarchuk - Director, Producer, Actor". Art Pictures. Retrieved 24 August 2022.
- "Почему фильм «8,5 долларов» 12 лет не пускали в прокат". Komsomolskaya Pravda. 30 June 2011.
- Fedor Bondarchuk "9th company" appeared in cinema
- "Путин вместе со съемочной группой смотрит кинофильм "9 рота"". RIA Novosti. 7 November 2005.
- 3 – 9 марта: лирические комедия к 8 Марта и новая биография Гагарина
- "Бондарчук получил "Золотого орла" за фильм "Два дня"". RIA Novosti. 27 January 2012.
- "Президент IMAX: "Сталинград" - большой вызов". RIA Novosti. 10 February 2012.
- Mr. Bondarchuk goes to Hollywood
- Elena Menshenina (10 October 2013). "Бондарчук против немцев: «Сталинград» выходит в прокат". Argumenty i Fakty.
- Часть событий фильма «Притяжение-2» перенесут в Китай iz.ru
- ЗАВЕРШИЛИСЬ СЪЕМКИ ПЕРВОГО СЕРИАЛА ФЕДОРА БОНДАРЧУКА «ПСИХ» kinometro.ru/
- ""ДухLess" стартовал с рекордных для российских картин 2012 года сборов". RIA Novosti. 9 October 2012.
- "Лед 2" собрал в российском прокате свыше миллиарда рублей ria.ru
- Российский космический хоррор «Спутник» посмотрели более миллиона gazeta.ru
- РОССИЙСКИЙ «СПУТНИК» ВОЗГЛАВИЛ ЧАРТ АМЕРИКАНСКОГО ITUNES kinometro.ru
- Amazon Prime покажет российский сериал "Спящие" в США tass.ru
- "Из всех кино для нас важнейшим является "Главкино"". Kommersant.
- "Грант имени Бондарчука дали за экранизацию Солженицына". RIA Novosti. 24 October 2011.
- "«Главкино» сдали в банк". Kommersant.
- Ksenia Boletskaya. ""Киносити» берет в управление кинотеатры «Премьер зала"". Vedomosti.
- "Федор Бондарчук: «Мне знаком период безденежья»". 7days. 27 November 2009.
- "Федор Бондарчук готовится к новоселью". 7days. 18 January 2018.
- "Деятели культуры России — в поддержку позиции Президента по Украине и Крыму". Ministry for Culture of Russian Federation. Archived from the original on March 11, 2014.
- Oksana Morozova (25 March 2016). "«Мы приняли решение развестись». История Федора и Светланы Бондарчук". Argumenty i Fakty.
- Nastya Yudaeva. "Федор Бондарчук и Паулина Андреева рассказали о своих отношениях в интервью". Cosmopolitan.