|Street address||17300 CA-1|
The original Gladstones was opened by Robert J. Morris on the site of the former Ted's Grill in Santa Monica Canyon in 1972 and then moved to its home on the beach at 17300 Pacific Coast Highway in 1981. Morris sold the restaurant in 1984 to W.R. Grace Co. but repurchased it in 1990. Richard Riordan, the former Mayor of Los Angeles, owned Gladstones since the mid-1990s. In 2008, Gladstones was the 37th highest grossing independent restaurant in the country. In 2009, the private company SBE assumed day-to-day operations as part of a management contract with Riordan which expired in 2014. Gladstone's re-assumed management of day-to-day operations thereafter.
The beachfront restaurant has undergone several name changes. When Robert J. Morris opened the restaurant at the site of Ted's Grill, he named it Gladstone's 4 Fish. The restaurant is frequently cited as Gladstone's or simply Gladstones.
On August 8, 2016 Los Angeles County officials were said to press California state officials to allow a 40-year lease of the site of the restaurant to attract a new restaurant to take the place of Gladstones at Malibu. The restaurant negotiated with the county over the terms of the lease and plans to continue operation. Gladstones is set to become a new culinary destination designed by renowned architect Frank Gehry and operated by celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck.The proposed project calls for an architecturally attractive waterfront dining destination with easy access to public transit, including the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus. Preliminary plans include casual dining areas serving a changing menu of locally sourced, farm-to-table cuisine, a lounge, a rooftop bar, a public deck, small retailers including an ice cream shop, and a monument to the site's well-known tenant, Gladstones.
-  Bulls, Bathhouses, Hideouts and Speakeasies: The Santa Monica Canyon Story at the Wayback Machine (archived September 28, 2011)
- Gladstone's 4 Fish Sold Back to Original Owner - Los Angeles Times
- "Nation's Restaurant News: Morris regains Gladstone's, RJ's in split from REGI - Robert J. Morris, Restaurant Enterprises Group Inc". Archived from the original on 2005-04-01. Retrieved 2011-03-28.
- Top Grossing Restaurants in U.S. - Eater LA
- The new wave for Gladstone's - Los Angeles Times
- "The Observer: Tim Burgess at Gladstone's, Malibu (Lifestyle)". The Guardian. July 14, 2002.
- PATCH SOCAL (2016-08-08). "County Pushing State for Longer Lease Term at Site of Gladstones in Malibu". Malibu Patch. Retrieved 2016-08-09.