Green Party of Alberta (2011–present)
|Active provincial party|
|Founded||December 22, 2011|
|International affiliation||Global Greens|
The Green Party of Alberta is a registered political party in Alberta, Canada, that is allied with the Green Party of Canada, and the other provincial Green parties. The party was registered by Elections Alberta on December 22, 2011, to replace the deregistered Alberta Greens, and ran its first candidates for office in the 2012 provincial election under the name Evergreen Party of Alberta. The party changed its name to "Green Party of Alberta" on November 1, 2012.
Following a dispute of the leadership of the Alberta Greens in 2008, George Read withdrew as leader and Joe Anglin remained as interim leader. On April 1, 2009, the executive of the party failed to file an annual financial statement with Elections Alberta, as required by law, and was deregistered on July 16, 2009. Some of its members joined the Alberta Party and Wildrose Party, while others formed the Vision 2012 Society. The independent group, dedicated to green principles, formed the legal entity required by Elections Alberta to register a political party. An annual general meeting was held on June 25, 2011 in Red Deer to elect an executive, and to raise a petition asking Elections Alberta to register a new party. The petition was signed by 8,500 people, more than the required 7,000, and on December 22, 2011, the "Evergreen Party of Alberta" was registered. According to Elections Alberta rules, a party cannot use a name used by another party until the name goes unused for a general election. After contesting the 2012 general election under the Evergreen banner, the party voted at its annual general meeting, on September 29, 2012, to change its name to "Green Party of Alberta". Elections Alberta approved the name change and it became effective 1 November 2012.
|See Alberta Greens 1993-2009|
25 / 87
0 / 87
28 / 87
0 / 87
- Alberta Greens
- Alberta Greens candidates in Alberta provincial elections
- Green Party of Canada
- List of Green party leaders in Canada
- May, Elizabeth (30 March 2012). "Letter from Elizabeth May". Ottawa: Green Party of Canada. Archived from the original (PDF) on 30 March 2012.
- Wood, James (December 29, 2011). "Evergreen Party rises from ashes of Alberta Greens". Calgary, Alberta: Calgary Herald. Archived from the original on January 3, 2012. Retrieved January 3, 2012.
- Smith, Dawn (January 2, 2012). "Green party back on Alberta's political scene". Rocky View, Alberta: Rocky View Weekly. Archived from the original on January 3, 2012. Retrieved January 3, 2012.
- "Parties". Elections Alberta. Archived from the original on January 22, 2012. Retrieved January 22, 2012.
- "Elections Alberta > Political Entities > Parties". Elections Alberta. Retrieved 2012-12-27.
- "Vision 2012 Society". Vision 2012 Society. 30 March 2012. Archived from the original on 30 March 2012.
- "Vision 2012 Society AGM" (PDF). Vision 2012 Society. Retrieved January 31, 2012.
- "EverGreen Party registers". Airdrie Echo. January 4, 2012. Retrieved January 31, 2012.
- Patterson, Don (January 18, 2012). "Evergreen earns provincial recognition". Okotoks Western Wheel. Retrieved September 11, 2013.
- "Alberta EverGreens choose new leader, new name!" (PDF). Evergreen Party of Alberta. October 1, 2012. Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- "Principles". Evergreen Party of Alberta. Retrieved January 31, 2012.