GungHo Online Entertainment
|Kabushikigaisha Ganhō Onrain Entāteinmento|
|Traded as||TYO: 3765|
|Founded||July 1, 1998|
|Taizo Son, Chairman|
Kazuki Morishita, President & CEO
|Services||Video game Development, Distribution, Operation|
Number of employees
|Parent||Formerly SoftBank Group, which still controls 35.03%|
GungHo Online Entertainment, Inc. (Japanese: ガンホー・オンライン・エンターテイメント株式会社 Hepburn: Ganhō Onrain Entāteimento Kabushiki-gaisha, TYO: 3765) is a Japanese video game developer. They are primarily known for hosting the Japanese server of Ragnarok Online, as well as their development of Ragnarok DS for the Nintendo DS. More recently, the company has reported huge financial success thanks to its mobile game Puzzle & Dragons, which, in 2013, was reportedly responsible for 91% of the company's $1.6 billion revenues for the year.
- In 2000, the company moved its headquarters to Tokyo, Japan and changed its focus to providing auction systems, etc. using ASP.
- In 2002, the company once again changed its focus, this time to Online Game Services. Primarily hosting the Japanese server of Ragnarok Online.
- In 2004 the company began joint development of online games with Game Arts Co., Ltd..
- In March 2005, the company was listed on the Hercules Nippon New Market of the Osaka Securities Exchange.
- In August 2005, the company invested in G-Mode Co., Ltd. a game manufacturer for mobile phones.
- In December 2005, the MMORPG developed by GungHo, Emil Chronicle Online, was officially released.
- In August 2006, they completed the contract to distribute Ragnarok Online II.
- In October 2007, GungHo Works, Inc., behind the development of Ragnarok DS, was established.
- In November 2007, the company acquired the video game assets of Interchannel from Index Corporation.
- In April 2008, Gravity Co., Ltd. was acquired as a subsidiary.
- In January 2013, GungHo acquired Grasshopper Manufacture, the studio behind titles such as No More Heroes and Lollipop Chainsaw.
- On June 3, 2016, Softbank agreed to sell most of its stake in GungHo (approximately 23.47%) for about $685 million, which would thus end Softbank's majority ownership of the company, resulting in Gungho no longer being an associate of Softbank. The offer was accepted by Gungho and completed by June 22, thus allowing Gungho to become an independent company.
- Grandia & Grandia II Remaster (PC & Nintendo Switch)
- Ninjala (Nintendo Switch)
Active online games
- Ragnarok Online (December 1, 2001)
- Tantra (March 10, 2004)
- Emil Chronicle Online (August 1, 2005)
- Hiten Online (April 19, 2007)
- ROSE Online (March 26, 2009)
- Lucent Heart (2009)
- Blade Chronicle (2009)
- Ragnarok DS (February 1, 2010)
- Eternal City 2 (June 23, 2010)
- Divina (September 9, 2010)
- Grand Fantasia
- ROSE Online
- Le Ciel Bleu
- Toy Wars
- Fishdom: Seasons under the Sea
- Puzzle & Dragons
- Summons Board
- Chrono Ma:Gia (2018)
Inactive online games
- Survival Project (June 29, 2004 - August 31, 2006)
- A3 (October 15, 2004 - November 1, 2007)
- Saiyuki Reload Gunlock (September 1, 2004 - January 31, 2006)
- Squirrel Pot 2 (May 25, 2004 - December 28, 2007)
- eXtreme Soccer (β August 11, 2006 – 2008)
- Mahjong (May 31, 2007 - March 26, 2008)
- Koi Koi Playing Cards (May 31, 2007 - March 26, 2008)
- Poker (May 31, 2007 - March 26, 2008)
- Millionaire (May 31, 2007 - March 26, 2008)
- Shanghai (May 31, 2007 - March 26, 2008)
- Chat (May 31, 2007 - March 26, 2008)
- Ragnarok Online II (β August 30, 2007 - August 2010)
- Pachinko Slot (September 6, 2007 - November 4, 2008)
- Hakenden (June 4, 2008 - October 29, 2008)
- Yogurting (September 1, 2005 - May, 2010)
- Tetris Online (October 23, 2007 - July 5, 2011)
- Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine (June 26, 2007 - May, 2016)
- Grandia Online (August 26, 2009 - September 28, 2012)
- Nadepro!!: Kisama mo Seiyū Yattemiro!
- Solfege: Sweet Harmony
- Mimana Iyar Chronicle
- Cho Aniki Zero
- P.W: Project Witch
- Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
- Ragnarok Tactics
- Otometeki Koi Kakumei Love Revo!!
- Nakamura Tooru Kanshuu: India Shiki Keisan Drill DS (The Method of Indian Calculation)
- Aquazone DS
- Ragnarok DS
- Hero's Saga Laevatein Tactics
- Minna de Jibun no Setsumeisho: B-Gata, A-Gata, AB-Gata, O-Gata
- Ecolis: Aoi Umi to Ugoku Shima
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-07-23. Retrieved 2009-12-12.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Presentation" (PDF). www.irwebcasting.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-04-18. Retrieved 2014-04-18.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-09-29. Retrieved 2013-09-09.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) Company History
- Thomson Financial. Thomson Financial. October 15, 2007. p. 39.
- [dead link]
- "Puzzle & Dragons studio GungHo to regain majority stake from SoftBank for $685m".
- "SoftBank to sell most of its stake in 'Puzzle & Dragons' maker GungHo". 6 June 2016.
- "Execution of Agreement to Tender in Tender Offer for Shares of an Associate - Press Releases - News - About Us - SoftBank Group".
- "Tender in Tender Offer for Shares of an Associate - Press Releases - News - About Us - SoftBank Group".
- "Results of Tender in Tender Offer for Shares of an Associate - Press Releases - News - About Us - SoftBank Group".
- "ローズオンライン～キャラクターの着せ替えがおもしろい、無料で遊べるオンラインゲーム～". www.roseon.jp.
- Ragnarok DS
- "トイ・ウォーズ《公式サイト》 ｜フィギュアで戦うシューティング".
- "Puzzle & Dragons". GungHo Online Entertainment, Inc. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-09-30. Retrieved 2009-12-14.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-09-29. Retrieved 2013-09-09.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Sato. "Yo-kai Watch World For Smartphones Is The Series' Take On Pokémon GO". Siliconera. Retrieved 11 July 2018.