Eric Hippeau is a partner at Lerer Hippeau Ventures, a New York City based early stage fund specializing in financing technology startups. Prior to this, Hippeau was the CEO of the Huffington Post which he joined in June, 2009, after investing through SoftBank Capital and taking a Board seat in 2006. Hippeau joined HuffPost in June 2009. Hippeau is a co-founder of NowThis News.
Prior to joining HuffPost, Hippeau was managing partner at SoftBank Capital. Hippeau joined SoftBank Capital in 2000 from Ziff-Davis, Inc., where he was Chairman and CEO. Hippeau joined Ziff-Davis in 1989 as Publisher of PC Magazine. He became President in 1991 and Chairman and CEO in 1993. In 1995, SoftBank acquired Ziff-Davis, and Hippeau continued in the role of CEO until 2000, when the company was sold. Hippeau was also responsible for founding ZDTV, a cable channel dedicated to technology and the Internet.
Hippeau was President of SoftBank International Ventures, where he established SoftBank’s international private equity funds and expanded them into Europe, Latin America and Asia. He was also SB Capital’s board representative for its direct investments in companies, such as Yahoo!, Geocities and CNET.
Hippeau serves on the boards of several public and private companies including Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide, BuddyMedia, and BuzzFeed. He served on Yahoo!'s board of directors . He is also on the investment committee for the SB Asia Infrastructure Fund.
Hippeau graduated from the Lycee Francais de Londres and attended the Sorbonne University in Paris. Hippeau lives in New York City with his wife, Barbara; they have four children and two grandchildren.
- Kara Swisher (October 20, 2009). "As Traffic Booms, Is HuffPo Ready to Make Some Real Dough?". All Things Digital.
- "Eric Hippeau, Special Partner". Softbank Capital. Retrieved April 8, 2015.
- Dan Frommer (June 15, 2009). "Huffington Post Names Eric Hippeau CEO". Business Insider.
- Josh Sternberg (November 9, 2012). "Can NowThis News Crack Mobile Video?". Digiday.
- Laurie Flynn (June 19, 1994). "Sound Bytes; The Polyglot Wordsmith of Ziff". The New York Times.
- Jason Del Rey (September 17, 2012). "How Eric Hippeau Powers New York's Surging Tech Scene". Advertising Age.
- "Softbank Executive to Lead Huffington Post". The New York Times. June 16, 2009.
- Kara Swisher (February 4, 2011). "Exclusive: HuffPo’s Eric Hippeau Stepping Down From Yahoo Board as Akamai’s David Kenny Steps In". All Things Digital.