|Type of business||Private|
Type of site
|Founded||February 6, 2009|
Leontinus Alpha Edison
|Key people||William Tanuwijaya|
Leontinus Alpha Edison
|Alexa rank||165 (Global, April 2018[update])|
|Registration||Registration required to sell|
Tokopedia is an Indonesian technology company, sometimes referred to as a unicorn. It was founded in 2009 by William Tanuwijaya. As of November 2018, the e-commerce operator is valued at about $7 billion. Tokopedia describes its mission as democratizing commerce through technology.
PT Tokopedia was founded by William Tanuwijaya and Leontinus Alpha Edison on February 6, 2009. The company manages Tokopedia.com, which was publicly launched on August 17. Since it was officially launched, Tokopedia managed to become one of Indonesia's internet companies that grow rapidly.
PT Tokopedia received initial seed funding from PT Indonusa Dwitama in 2009 of IDR 2.5 billion. In the following years, Tokopedia attracted capital injections from global venture capitals including East Ventures (2010), CyberAgent Ventures (2011), NetPrice (2012), and SoftBank Ventures Korea (2013). In October 2014, Tokopedia managed to make history as the first technology company in Southeast Asia to receive a US$100 million investment (around IDR 1.2 trillion) from Sequoia Capital and SoftBank Internet and Media Inc (SIMI). In April 2016, Tokopedia raised another $147 million. In 2017, Tokopedia received $1.1 billion investment from Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba.. Again in 2018, the company secured $1.1 billion funding round led by Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group Holding and Japan's SoftBank Group putting its valuation to about $7B. 
As a technology company, Tokopedia presents four main businesses for its users. Tokopedia's first product, as well as being the best-known product o is the marketplace. Tokopedia provides a free C2C business platform for merchants and buyers. A trading tool that empowers merchants to be able to provide more. There are also Official Stores for several leading brands. Through its marketplace products, Tokopedia offers millions of products that are divided into 25 big categories.
In the marketplace, Tokopedia also provides digital products such as credit, BPJS payments, electricity and water, telephone bills, credit cards, and so on. There are also flight tickets, events, games voucher, and other digital products.
In 2016 Tokopedia spread its wings by presenting financial technology (fintech) products. Tokopedia fintech products consist of digital wallets, affordable investments, business capital loans, virtual credit cards, protection products, credit scoring based on data for a loan, and other financial services.
Recently in 2018 Tokopedia launched Mitra Tokopedia application. This application is intended to enable everyone, especially small businesses' owners to be able to sell Tokopedia digital products such as data packages, electricity tokens, BPJS, game vouchers, and so on.
On December 12, 2018, Fortune reported that PT Tokopedia had raised another $1.1 billion.
As of April 2015, Tokopedia.com claims to have more than 4.9 million active product listings, facilitating sales of more than 5 million products every month. Today, Tokopedia has over 80 million monthly active users and over 4 million merchants on the platform, 70% of the merchants are the first-time entrepreneurs.
For its role in developing online business in Indonesia, Tokopedia won the 2014 Marketeers of the Year award for the e-Commerce sector, at the 2015 Markplus Conference held by Markplus Inc. on December 11, 2014. On May 12, 2016, Tokopedia was selected as the Best Company in Consumer Industry of the Indonesia Digital Economy Award 2016.
In 2018, Tokopedia won several awards. Last May the Tokopedia app successfully topped the Apple Store beating Facebook, WhatsApp, and Instagram. While on Android, Tokopedia also managed to become # 3 Top Chart on Google Play, beating Facebook and Instagram. In December 2018 Tokopedia was chosen as the best choice for the community on Google Play.
- Anisa Menur A. Maulani (August 17, 2017). "Tokopedia confirms US$1.1B investment led by Alibaba". e27.co. Archived from the original on March 19, 2018. Retrieved March 19, 2018.
- "Tokopedia.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Amazon.com. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- Lee, Yoolim (December 11, 2018). "SoftBank Vision Fund, Alibaba Lead $1.1 Billion Tokopedia Round". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-12-12.
- "About Tokopedia". www.tokopedia.com. Retrieved 2018-12-12.
- Wee, Willis (2016-04-08). "Indonesian marketplace Tokopedia raises $147m". TechInAsia. Retrieved 2016-04-08.
- Russell, Jon. "Alibaba leads $1.1B investment in Indonesia-based e-commerce firm Tokopedia". TechCrunch. TechCrunch. Retrieved 2 July 2018.
- "Tokopedia Secures $1.1b From Alibaba, SoftBank". Jakarta Globe. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "https://www.techinasia.com/tokopedia-raises-11b-softbank-alibaba". TechinAsia. Retrieved 12 December 2018. External link in
- Term Sheet: A Year of Mega-Deals, Fortune
- Cosseboom, Leighton (2015-04-04). "Indonesia's 15 best-funded tech ventures". Tech In Asia. Retrieved 2015-04-08.