Guwahati railway station
|Regional rail and Light rail Station|
Guwahati Railway station
|Location||Paltan Bazaar, Guwahati, Assam
|Elevation||56.22 metres (184.4 ft)|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Operated by||Northeast Frontier Railway zone|
|Connections||Auto Rickshaw, Bus, Taxi|
|Structure type||Standard (on ground station)|
|Zone(s)||Northeast Frontier Railway zone|
|Previous names||Assam Bengal Railway|
Guwahati Railway Station is located in the heart of Guwahati, Assam. Just behind the Guwahati Railway Station is the Assam State Transport Corporation Bus Station. This is in the Paltan Bazaar area of Guwahati from where most of the private bus companies operate connecting Guwahati with the rest of the state and the Northeast.
To reduce the traffic on the Guwahati junction, there is another railway station in the city at Maligaon is Kamakhya railway station. Almost all newly introduced trains run from Kamakhya station only. There were plans to make a new railway station at Beltola (in the southern part of Guwahati) to introduce trains towards Shillong. Plans have not been finalized and still in process.
There are few other stations in and around the city accessible area. They are Narengi, New Guwahati, Azara, Amingaon, Changsari, Digaru and Agthori.
- Kamakhya Junction Railway Station : This station is located some 10 km from heart of the city, and is a preferred station for tourists visiting the Kamakhya temple of goddess Kamakhya.
- Narengi station : Among these Narengi station is used only for halting trains coming from north-eastern states.
- New Guwahati station :This station is used for freight services as it is close the Guwahati refinery.
- Azara station : This station is near Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport.
- Amingaon station : This is on the northern side of the city was the old station when the Saraighat bridge was not constructed.
- Agthori station : The station Agthori is on the north Guwahati side near the Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati.
- "Guwahati Railway station on searchmytrain.com". searchmytrain.com. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Guwahati.|
|Preceding station||Indian Railway||Following station|
|Northeast Frontier Railway zone||Terminus|
|Terminus||Northeast Frontier Railway zone|